U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 02:41 PM

4 posts, read 43,548 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Lubbock in April for my job and I am looking for some advice on renting. I see that there are a lot of houses, duplexes, etc. for rent. Would that be better than any apartment in town? I have seen a few really nice apartments online, but they seem really expensive compared to the others. Any advice on where to live? I only plan on renting for a year and then I plan on buying a house once I get to know the town better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 09:55 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,686,480 times
Because of Texas Tech,there are lots of rentals in Lubbock.Be aware in moving to any apt complex within commuting distance of TT that you will have lots of college age neighbors.A single person might find that enjoyable,while a family would probably not like it as well.There are also entire neighborhoods of duplexes for renters built because of the large number of renters.One interesting thing about renting in Lubbock is that many places,including many of the duplexes,charge a per person rate,or a per bedroom rate if you will.If you are the only person living in a 3 BR,it only costs you your 1/3 share of the total.The down side is that you don't have a lot of control in who your roommates are unless you find enough roommates on your own to fill all the BR's,and often they will try to put a single person in with other renters.You don't have to move in and they generally try to work with you,but I don't think that the people already occupying part of the house can refuse to let another person move in if that person wants to.

Most anywhere west of I-27,especially from TT on south, will be a nice area,with a few small exceptions.Stay away from east of I-27.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the information. I will be living with my fiance and roommates are not an option so I will watch out for that. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,686,480 times
Be sure and get everything in writing,including any move in specials they offer you.We were told about all these specials and agreed to them,but for some reason the lady didn't actually write them into the contract,so when we went to use the summer storage fee (where they let returning students pay $100 a month across the summer when they aren't living in it if they are going to move back in come Fall),it wasn't in our contract and we had to pay full price for the Summer months.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:25 PM

I hate when places do things like that. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 22,712 times
Lubbock is one of lowest cost of housing cities in the US. Take advantage of it. A nice apartment should cost $500/mo, a nice house $700-800. Avoid living too close to Tech and east of Ave U (address less than 2100). For a house, avoid north of 50th St; for an apartment, north-south location doesn't matter as much. Houses renting for less than $500 are probably substandard or in a bad neighborhood. Generally, the best neighborhoods are in the southwest. There are also nice areas in the south-central and west. If you have time, check out Buffalo Springs Lake. You might like its summer-camp funkiness. Within Lubbock you can drive anywhere in 15 minutes. There's no traffic.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:50 PM

Thank you so much for that information. I have been looking at houses online and I am very happy to find the costs so low. I look forward to owning a home there. At my new job I will have to go through a one year probation period and so I would like to wait to buy until that is over and I would like to get to know the city better as well. I will make sure to take your advice for the southwest area for houses. I should be there in less than a month.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 10,517 times
Default House for Sale

Hello,

My name is Jerrod Pickering and my wife and I have a great little house for sale outside the loop in West Lubbock. The reason I am posting here is because we are not going to use a realtor. This property has been a great home to us, but we are moving out of town so we need to sell it. It can also be a great rental property to bring you in a little income. It is a 3/2/1 and has a lot of extras. Check out my website at: Jerrod Pickering - Jerrod Pickering (broken link) and click on House pictures to look at the different pictures I uploaded. If youare interested, call me at 806-928-3730.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: