Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2008, 03:20 PM

146 posts, read 520,500 times

Advertisements

i live about thirty minutes from lubbock i like the school here and my parents job is here but it is simply to dang small there isnt anything here im a sophmore in high school and everyone says that i dont have that long till i leave but still it just drives me crazy my parents like it ok but would prefer a biger city any suggestions PLEASE HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 03:36 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
this is the time to focus on your education, and the less distractions you have, the better. if you do so, you will thank yourself one day in the future, when you have a college degree and are successful, gainfully employed, and can support yourself.
besides, who would you live with in Lubbock?
appreciate what you got-someday when you are in the rat race, working in a larger city because that's where alot of the better jobs are, you will look back on your small town Texas years with fond memories.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM

146 posts, read 520,500 times
well i used to live in odessa texas wich is a good sized city but my mom got transfered to littlefield and it is just a big shock growing up in a big town you will never like a small town

Old 09-01-2008, 04:10 PM

make the best of it, appreciate what a small town can offer, and like i said, focus on your education, and giving yourself a good foundation from which to become a successful gainfully employed adult with skills and education. unless you are a Registered Nurse like me, or an allied health care professional of some sort, majority of good paying jobs require no less than a Bachelor's Degree...the workplace has become more competitive, as more and more people pursue higher education.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
One of the frustrating things about being young is that you don't always have a lot of choices and options in life....you are totally dependant on other people. The only way to gain independence and be able to make your own choices eventually, however, is to play by the rules and get an education....then you can have the opportunity to go where and when you want and be self-supporting and self-directed. If you don't have anything to offer anybody (skills or talent that have been developed.....preferably with a certificate or a diploma to prove it)), then you will still be stuck depending on other people and living by their rules the rest of your life. Think of the next two years as an investment in your future independence and be making plans for what and who you want to be. Best wishes to you, sweetie!!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:43 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
You may also find that it just takes a bit longer to adjust. Perhaps there are endearing and unique qualities about your new town that your old town didn't have. I know you may find this hard to believe, but there may come a time when you get older that you actually long for the small town life. Learn and enjoy as much as you can.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:35 PM

well said. read and re-read what Gayle writes here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
One of the frustrating things about being young is that you don't always have a lot of choices and options in life....you are totally dependant on other people. The only way to gain independence and be able to make your own choices eventually, however, is to play by the rules and get an education....then you can have the opportunity to go where and when you want and be self-supporting and self-directed. If you don't have anything to offer anybody (skills or talent that have been developed.....preferably with a certificate or a diploma to prove it)), then you will still be stuck depending on other people and living by their rules the rest of your life. Think of the next two years as an investment in your future independence and be making plans for what and who you want to be. Best wishes to you, sweetie!!

Old 09-08-2008, 04:06 AM

100 posts, read 446,480 times
My friends are from small towns like New Home, Eula, Cisco etc. They like it a lot in Lubbock, its a big city kinda feel but still not too big. Also if its 30min from where you live you can always hit up home for the weekend for a home cooked meal.

Old 09-08-2008, 04:08 AM

100 posts, read 446,480 times
And once you graduate college and are in immense debt, you'll realize you can't find a job with the degree you got (unless its engineering), so then you'll be forced to goto grad school where you can get into even more debt. So my suggestion, better go into the medical field i.e. Phd. or some type of Engineering, cause all my friends that have other degrees are pretty obligated to goto grad school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: