Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 08:40 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the pics Mr. Football! The ole school looks GREAT! I'm gettin; a little misty eyed.

Yes when you are 23 and have been in Lubbock for a few years "HAPPINESS IS LUBBOCK in the Rearview mirror!!" I blasted that all the way back to Houston! Now that I am older, have lived all around the US and in Europe, and have a family.... I can say the second half of that song rings true as well.

"HAPPINESS is LUBBOCK texas growing nearer and DEARER."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 6,511 times
I lived in Lubbock for 4 1/2 yrs. The pluses there are the people are friendly. They take a long time to get to know because that is just the nature of West Texans. But once you make a friend they are your friend. The rush hour if you can call it that lasts about 15mins. Thats it! It is what I refer to as the biggest small town in America. You can hardly go from one end of town to the other without running into someone you know. If you are a college sport's fan, Texas Tech is a great source of entertainment. Ok that was the good and now for the bad...It is the biggest small town in America. There is one mall. That is it. There are only two multiplex movie theaters. Texas Tech University provides some great entertainment as far as the arts. Other than that...you'd better enjoy driving 5-6 hrs. to the DFW metroplex for anything in the way of pro-sports, major arts/entertainment, shows, etc. and shopping. With Lubbock still being as small as it is, there is not the great net as of yet for any kind of metro transportation systems. I hope I gave you some insight. Write back if you want more info.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:19 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,376,939 times
based on everything you said here, it sounds like the PERFECT place in Texas for me..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jads7 View Post
I currently live in Lubbock, and I must say that the cost of living in Lubbock is great. We have a great size home for a very low price.

But Lubbock is boring as all get out. If you're going to TTU, great. If you're looking for a quiet, quiet, quiet place to live, great. If you can get use to the smell of the cow feed (which is called money) when the wind blows from the west, great. If you don't mind travelling 5 1/2 hrs to get to the next big city, great. If you're looking to retire, great. And if you're white America this place is great. And I say that because the minor population is very very small, except that of Mexicans.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:25 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Born and raised in Lubbock. (Live in Dallas area now.) I still think Lubbock is a great place to live. Hate those duststorms , but love that low humidity!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:55 AM

10 posts, read 46,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jads7 View Post
I currently live in Lubbock, and I must say that the cost of living in Lubbock is great. We have a great size home for a very low price.

But Lubbock is boring as all get out. If you're going to TTU, great. If you're looking for a quiet, quiet, quiet place to live, great. If you can get use to the smell of the cow feed (which is called money) when the wind blows from the west, great. If you don't mind travelling 5 1/2 hrs to get to the next big city, great. If you're looking to retire, great. And if you're white America this place is great. And I say that because the minor population is very very small, except that of Mexicans.

Well I guess now we know thats one of the requirements "white americans" like yourself look for in a good place to live is that it have a minimal amount of "non white americans".

Old 11-20-2008, 06:25 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
What's up with the houses in Ransom Canyon? Wild!

All in all, I like Lubbock and could be happy there.

But I have a "thing" for West Texas (El Paso, Lubbock, Amarillo) and the Panhandle of Oklahoma. I kind of like the "high desert" feel you get in those areas.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:20 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Lightbulb In Other Words, Read Further

Ummmm, regarding this thread's title, I see quite the opposite as of Thursday, November 20th.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 PM

189 posts, read 628,700 times
[quote=etexbill;105225]

Ever spend a winter there?? Or just good old Texas Tech college days.
quote]

Yes... I lived there for 17 years! I miss the climate. I live in East Texas like you, etexbill. I miss the dry climate. I don't know what's so bad about the winters there. I just lived the last 5 years in Louisville, KY and the winters there were horrible.... no sunshine for like 2 months straight. One thing I LOVE about Lubbock is the 320+ days of sunshine, and even in the winter you will find lots of sun.

As far as energy goes.... there a lots of windmills popping up everywhere in West Texas. There are a few in Lubbock out near 50th st and the loop.

And.... I agree with a previous poster on this thread... there a PLENTY of trees inside the town of Lubbock. Now, if you want to live out in the country... you will find mostly cotten, but if you plant trees you can fix that. My parents bought a house with a dirt yard (the precious owner was highly allergic to most plants) and they now have a gorgeous yard. People actually stop in front of their house to take pictures of their yard.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 AM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
Default Ransom Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
What's up with the houses in Ransom Canyon? Wild!

All in all, I like Lubbock and could be happy there.

But I have a "thing" for West Texas (El Paso, Lubbock, Amarillo) and the Panhandle of Oklahoma. I kind of like the "high desert" feel you get in those areas.

Man, I've never seen those before, Synopse. Guess that's going to be on my agenda on my next Lubbock trip. Just the architecture alone is pic-worthy and should become a tourist attraction.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Ummmm, regarding this thread's title, I see quite the opposite as of Thursday, November 20th.
Not sure if you were being ironic here, but the OP that started the thread dates back to 2006.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock