Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 11:16 AM

613 posts, read 798,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Lubbock's a great town. Well-planned city, with friendly people. It has a lot more than other cities of similar size due to several factors most importantly being home to a major Big 12 university, medical & law school and being the economic hub for a rather large region.

Most of the growth in Lubbock is to the SW where you'll find a lot of the newer developments. The neighborhoods in that part of town look a lot like the ones you'd find in Plano or North Dallas. The downtown region features an Entertainment District.

http://www.english.ttu.edu/images/tour/Picture9.jpg (broken link)

The Texas Tech campus is beautiful featuring stunning Spanish Renaissance architecture throughout. It has experience quite a bit of growth and development over the past 5-10 years. Across from campus is one of the largest privately funded urban redevelopment projects in the nation at Overton Park. Lots of neat new things going in all of the time.

The schools are well regarded and are highly rated in Texas.

The weather is nice, most of the time. I moved there from Austin and found myself wishing Austin had the low humidity that Lubbock featured. Best times of year are Summer & Fall. Unlike the rest of Texas which becomes unbearable in the Summers, Lubbock temps fall to the low 60's at night in the summer requiring a light jacket. This is one part of Texas where there is a definite change of seasons.

Landscape is flat, but drive 15 minutes and you're in beautiful canyon lands of the Caprock. Lubbock sits on the very edge of an escarpment. There are some great nearby recreation areas for hiking, boating, etc, and some of the best state parks like Palo Duro Canyon and Caprock Canyons.

If you like to Ski, you can drive to the slopes in nearby New Mexico which are just a few hours away.

Entertainment-wise the Lubbock area has born some of the best known artists in Texas like John Denver, Waylon Jennings, Pat Green, Roy Orbison, Natalie Maines, Delbert McClinton, Joe Ely, Corey Morrow and many many more. There's even a popular term for many of these artists on their way up in the music scene who wind up hitting it big "Austin-via-Lubbock". Never a shortage of good music in Lubbock.

Lubbock gets the Big concerts. Due to its prime location in between Dallas, Denver and ABQ, and its state of the art arena at Texas Tech, Lubbock has managed to lure a good number of big name concerts and shows. Bands like Metallica, The Eagles, Elton John, KISS, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, George Strait, etc.

http://www.texastech.edu/gallery/tour1/Jones-Stadium-1.jpg (broken link)

Texas Tech sports. No matter what time of year, you've got great Texas Tech teams led by Mike Leach's Football team and the legendary Bob Knight's Red Raider basketball team. They play in one of the best athletic conferences in the country and regularly bring in top name programs which they compete against. There is a great deal of school spirit at Tech and Gameday Saturday is a true spectacle with lots of fun and festivities.

The people of Lubbock were some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Not sure why, perhaps its the wide open spaces, perhaps its the perennial sunshine...it's just a friendly place. Beautiful women, too. Per capita, some of the best looking women you'll find anywhere in Texas.

Anyhow, that's Lubbock. Great town.

Way to go Mr. Football...great post....well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 09:43 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,794 times

New Student Union Bldg

Will Rogers Statue

Entrance to Visitors Center

Last edited by Mr. Football; 11-06-2006 at 10:06 PM..

Old 11-06-2006, 10:39 PM

13 posts, read 103,472 times
Quote:
Lubbock's a great town. Well-planned city, with friendly people. It has a lot more than other cities of similar size due to several factors most importantly being home to a major Big 12 university, medical & law school and being the economic hub for a rather large region.

Most of the growth in Lubbock is to the SW where you'll find a lot of the newer developments. The neighborhoods in that part of town look a lot like the ones you'd find in Plano or North Dallas. The downtown region features an Entertainment District.

The Texas Tech campus is beautiful featuring stunning Spanish Renaissance architecture throughout. It has experience quite a bit of growth and development over the past 5-10 years. Across from campus is one of the largest privately funded urban redevelopment projects in the nation at Overton Park. Lots of neat new things going in all of the time.

The weather is nice, most of the time. I moved there from Austin and found myself wishing Austin had the low humidity that Lubbock featured. Best times of year are Summer & Fall. Unlike the rest of Texas which becomes unbearable in the Summers, Lubbock temps fall to the low 60's at night in the summer requiring a light jacket. This is one part of Texas where there is a definite change of seasons.

Landscape is flat, but drive 15 minutes and you're in beautiful canyon lands of the Caprock. Lubbock sits on the very edge of an escarpment. There are some great nearby recreation areas for hiking, boating, etc, and some of the best state parks like Palo Duro Canyon and Caprock Canyons.

If you like to Ski, you can drive to the slopes in nearby New Mexico which are just a few hours away.

Entertainment-wise the Lubbock area has born some of the best known artists in Texas like John Denver, Waylon Jennings, Pat Green, Roy Orbison, Natalie Maines, Delbert McClinton, Joe Ely, Corey Morrow and many many more. There's even a popular term for many of these artists on their way up in the music scene who wind up hitting it big "Austin-via-Lubbock". Never a shortage of good music in Lubbock.

Lubbock gets the Big concerts. Due to its prime location in between Dallas, Denver and ABQ, and its state of the art arena at Texas Tech, Lubbock has managed to lure a good number of big name concerts and shows. Bands like Metallica, The Eagles, Elton John, KISS, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, George Strait, etc.

Texas Tech sports. No matter what time of year, you've got great Texas Tech teams led by Mike Leach's Football team and the legendary Bob Knight's Red Raider basketball team. They play in one of the best athletic conferences in the country and regularly bring in top name programs which they compete against. There is a great deal of school spirit at Tech and Gameday Saturday is a true spectacle with lots of fun and festivities.

The people of Lubbock were some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Not sure why, perhaps its the wide open spaces, perhaps its the perennial sunshine...it's just a friendly place. Beautiful women, too. Per capita, some of the best looking women you'll find anywhere in Texas.

Thanks for the informative post, Mr. Football. I had discounted Lubbock off of our "where should we move back to in Texas?" list because of the low teacher pay (we're both teachers) and now it looks like it might make the list again. Great photographs too, by the way

Old 11-07-2006, 12:55 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,794 times
More pics from Lubbock...

This is a Lubbock area landmark that sits above Ranson Canyon and Buffalo Springs Lake. This house is the life's work of an architecture professor at Tech by the name of Robert Bruno. More info here: http://www.robertbruno.com/

What Lubbock lacks in topography it gains in sky. This is truly big sky country, and has some of the most amazing skies I've ever seen.

Tech has built over a billion dollars worth of new construction on its campus over the past 5 or 6 years with more on the way. This is a picture of Tech's new state-of-the-art Experimental Science Lab.

The United Spirit Arena is a 15,000 seat arena featuring Tech basketball, volleyball, concerts and special events.

Tech has won many international awards for its public art program, which has flourished under Tech's rigorous Master Plan which calls for 1% of every new construction project to be devoted to Art and landscaping. This has enabled many of the best and brightest artists to feature their works on the Texas Tech campus. This particular piece called "Park Place" was created by renowned Sante Fe artist Glenna Goodacre (originally from Lubbock). Glenna is the mother-in-law of legendary crooner, Harry Connick Jr....who married her daughter, Victoria Secret model Jill Goodacre.

Plaza in between the main library and the Union

Depot Garden is a historic facility that was once Lubbock's primary rail depot, and has since gone on to become a restaurant, biergarten with live entertainment and houses the world famous Buddy Holly Museum. It is located in the heart of the 'Depot District' - Lubbock's Entertainment district.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 11-07-2006 at 01:23 AM..

Old 11-07-2006, 08:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
What wonderful pictures!!! Thanks so much for bringing back memories!! As a Tech grad, it has been so much fun seeing these!

But, boy, has it grown!!!

Old 11-16-2006, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 13,249 times
Lubbock is a University town. If you aren't in some way affiliated with the University, or football, god or cotton, you're done for.

I've been here nearly 8 years. For the first 5, I tried. But one thing they REALLY don't like here is "outsiders". Especially yanks.

Virtually all blue collar work here pays minimum wage, and many employers will tell you flat out you'll work OT but they don't pay it.

I worked for awhile in the call center here, and the managers did nothing but drill it into your head that this $9 - 10.50 an hour job is the best thing going if you're not a doctor in this town. I have a master's degree. I finally landed a slightly different/better job, but only because I now work for the state.

The only thing that's cheaper here than other places is the housing, and that's because nowhere else I've ever lived sells houses this small. A basic 3 bedroom home with no dining room? If you're lucky you'll get a breakfast nook, unless you move up into the higher dollar housing.

The meaning of "there's no trees here" is that there's no *indigenous* trees here except for an oak tree that barely grows to 5 feet in height and is pretty sad looking. Every other tree you see here has been planted by someone. There were no forests cleared to make way for farms.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:40 PM

2 posts, read 14,652 times
Default Why Lubbock?

Lubbock is to Texas as Fresno is to California.

Old 11-19-2006, 04:03 AM

1 posts, read 12,029 times
Default can any1 help me out

hey guys..

I have to choose frm texas tech and university of nebraska-lincoln...for MS-Mechanical Engineering.
can any1 help me in that..plz mail me at>> karan_0606@rediffmail.com
I've no time left and hav no clue whatsoever where to go.

Cheers!!

Old 11-19-2006, 06:12 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
Quote:

I'm not from Lubbock, never been there, and probably never will go there, but I am so surprised that you left BUDDY HOLLY off of the list of musicians! :-)

Old 11-19-2006, 06:15 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
To add one more thing about Lubbock (from someone that has never been there). Those pictures are beautiful Mr. Football. I've never been to Lubbock (I live in DFW) but I would definitely consider going there and in fact, wouldn't mind living there. Like many have said, Lubbock does have four distinct seasons, and the summers there are not as hot and humid as in the bigger cities in Texas. Lubbock's on my list now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock