Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 09:45 PM

Location: Taiwan -sometimes in Mainland China and home TEXAS.
3 posts, read 11,107 times

Advertisements

And would like to know more about what the city has done
to create/improve/utilize the public transport system to save
fuel, energy, and environmental problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2006, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,926 times
Post improve

From what I have read and hear from folks back home is that they are buildin the East Tech Freeway. It's suppose to make getting around town faster. I'm originaly from new deal, texas in Lubbock Co., Tx. I now live in MA. I keep up with what I can on the place... from the online paper and parents

Old 09-23-2006, 04:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,133,474 times
Hi. I'm interested in the city of Lubbock and what kind of place it might be to live. Any comments would be appreciated. Also what is the job market like?
Thanks for any responses!

Old 09-23-2006, 05:18 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,818,713 times
Hi. I'm interested in the city of Lubbock and what kind of place it might be to live. Any comments would be appreciated. Also what is the job market like?
Thanks for any responses!

Lubbock is table-flat, dry farmland that can get very cold in the winter. You cannot believe the treeless, flat plains farmland that it is if you are from another part of the country. The humidity is very low, and dust storms abound. I lived there for four years in all seasons.

Lubbock itself is a sizeable city.....close to 200,000. It has all of the amenities......medical care, veterinary services, a major university (Texas Tech, my alma mater), all the major chains, whatever.

For my part, I loved it. I am from West Texas, and so was used to the flat vista in all directions. If there were some reason I were to move to Lubbock I wouldn't mind it a bit.

As for the job market, I cannot help you there, sorry....without knowing what it is that you are looking for, hard to answer.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 9,215 times
Thumbs up Lubbock transportation system

When I left Lubbock a year ago, they were in about their second year of at least a 10 year project of building the Marsha Sharp freeway across the center of Lubbock. (Sharp is the womens head basketball coach at Tech) There is also the citibus public transportation, I remember years ago if you got behind one of these buses you would get smoked out, but that is not the case anymore. I can't say for certain but I think they along with school buses have been changed to run on compressed natural gas. As everyone has stated yes we have our dust storms, most notably in the spring, but they wouldn't stop me from moving back again as I loved Lubbock. It is a bit windier on average though than much of the U.S.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:27 PM

Location: Plainview Texas, Midway between Amarillo and Lubbock
2 posts, read 6,290 times
Like other pepole have said, the Marsha Sharp is under construction. For those wondering about economics, we have a fairly large shopping mall and a few skyscrapers. The Metro Tower being the tallest (Survived a direct hit from a F5!) Texas Tech is based here. Not much has changed recently from what I can tell.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:08 AM

5 posts, read 64,950 times
I've heard several people say "Lubbock has no trees". Lubbock is a beautiful city with tons of trees. The land around the city has very few trees because they have been cleared to farm. Lubbock has a great climate and is a great place to live.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 PM

138 posts, read 749,878 times
Quote:
"And would like to know more about what the city has done
to create/improve/utilize the public transport system to save
fuel, energy, and environmental problems."
NOTHING, just like most of the cities in Texas. More highways, little or no public transportation (at least like in other parts of the country). Yep, Dallas has made an attempt at a subway (what a laugh) and Houston some rapid transport streetcars (what a laugh), but nothing in the way of good mass transportation. Maybe some day if gasoline goes above $4.00 gallon as in Europe.
Quote:
"Lubbock has a great climate and is a great place to live."
Ever spend a winter there?? Or just good old Texas Tech college days.
Quote:
"Lubbock has a great climate and is a great place to live."
Trust me, I've traveled all over Texas in my job. There is only one city worse in Texas than Lubbock, and that's Wichita Falls.

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2006 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: merged and quotations fixed

Old 11-05-2006, 10:52 PM

10 posts, read 46,202 times
The only thing I know about Lubbock:

"Happiness is Lubbock in your rear view mirror"

Old 11-06-2006, 02:09 AM

1,334 posts, read 6,431,127 times
Lubbock's a great town. Well-planned city, with friendly people. It has a lot more than other cities of similar size due to several factors most importantly being home to a major Big 12 university, medical & law school and being the economic hub for a rather large region.

Most of the growth in Lubbock is to the SW where you'll find a lot of the newer developments. The neighborhoods in that part of town look a lot like the ones you'd find in Plano or North Dallas. The downtown region features an Entertainment District.

http://www.english.ttu.edu/images/tour/Picture9.jpg (broken link)

The Texas Tech campus is beautiful featuring stunning Spanish Renaissance architecture throughout. It has experience quite a bit of growth and development over the past 5-10 years. Across from campus is one of the largest privately funded urban redevelopment projects in the nation at Overton Park. Lots of neat new things going in all of the time.

The schools are well regarded and are highly rated in Texas.

The weather is nice, most of the time. I moved there from Austin and found myself wishing Austin had the low humidity that Lubbock featured. Best times of year are Summer & Fall. Unlike the rest of Texas which becomes unbearable in the Summers, Lubbock temps fall to the low 60's at night in the summer requiring a light jacket. This is one part of Texas where there is a definite change of seasons.

Landscape is flat, but drive 15 minutes and you're in beautiful canyon lands of the Caprock. Lubbock sits on the very edge of an escarpment. There are some great nearby recreation areas for hiking, boating, etc, and some of the best state parks like Palo Duro Canyon and Caprock Canyons.

If you like to Ski, you can drive to the slopes in nearby New Mexico which are just a few hours away.

Entertainment-wise the Lubbock area has born some of the best known artists in Texas like John Denver, Waylon Jennings, Pat Green, Roy Orbison, Natalie Maines, Delbert McClinton, Joe Ely, Corey Morrow and many many more. There's even a popular term for many of these artists on their way up in the music scene who wind up hitting it big "Austin-via-Lubbock". Never a shortage of good music in Lubbock.

Lubbock gets the Big concerts. Due to its prime location in between Dallas, Denver and ABQ, and its state of the art arena at Texas Tech, Lubbock has managed to lure a good number of big name concerts and shows. Bands like Metallica, The Eagles, Elton John, KISS, Pearl Jam, Aerosmith, George Strait, etc.

http://www.texastech.edu/gallery/tour1/Jones-Stadium-1.jpg (broken link)

Texas Tech sports. No matter what time of year, you've got great Texas Tech teams led by Mike Leach's Football team and the legendary Bob Knight's Red Raider basketball team. They play in one of the best athletic conferences in the country and regularly bring in top name programs which they compete against. There is a great deal of school spirit at Tech and Gameday Saturday is a true spectacle with lots of fun and festivities.

The people of Lubbock were some of the friendliest people I've ever met. Not sure why, perhaps its the wide open spaces, perhaps its the perennial sunshine...it's just a friendly place. Beautiful women, too. Per capita, some of the best looking women you'll find anywhere in Texas.

Anyhow, that's Lubbock. Great town.

Last edited by Mr. Football; 11-06-2006 at 02:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock