U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 12,332 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone .

I am a prospective graduate student at TTU. I'll be flying to the US some time in the last week of December. I'll study master of arts in Philosophy.

What would you think someone like me needs to know (I come from Iran, if you think the home country affects the answer to that question)? About Lubbock, about Texas Tech, or anything else? Do you think I'm going to love the place? By the way, I decided to rent a HoneyComb apartment because I was looking for the cheapest place available. What would you say about HoneyComb?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Status: "We must Drain the Swamp in November!" (set 3 days ago)

51,327 posts, read 44,637,865 times
Default Howdy!

Come on in! You'll love the place once you get settled and the area does have wonderful things to offer. I had a friend who used to go to Tech, and he really liked it. Unfortunately, I can't help you with Honeycomb, but maybe one of the other folks might. But I hope you do enjoy your stay. They've got plenty of restaurants near Tech, so you won't be hungry. Shopping and other amenities are closeby. Nothing is far. And don't worry about where you're from --- if you want to come study here in Texas, be our guest!

Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 PM

8,062 posts, read 17,326,264 times
Welcome to the Texas Tech community!!! My son goes there and I'm very pleased. It's a beautiful campus (largest in the U.S.!) and Lubbock is a very friendly city.

I've never heard of the "Honey Comb" but I could ask my son if he's heard anything about it. Lubbock and Texas Tech have a really good bus system so you'll be able to hop the bus to campus from just about anywhere you choose to live off-campus.

MAKE SURE YOU BRING WARM CLOTHES!!!! Lubbock can get quite cold in the winter and the cold hangs on until April. They get at least a few snow storms in the winter, too. Also, make sure you have a sturdy umbrella and some good rain shoes. There's no good drainage system in Lubbock and the streets flood when heavy thunderstorms roll in. Several weeks ago, there was so much flooding that they had to cancel classes. The weather can be rather exciting at times, LOL.

Any questions you have, just ask!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,613,182 times
Quote:
Several weeks ago, there was so much flooding that they had to cancel classes.
That was very exceptional because it rained something like 12 inches in 12 hours (the city averages just under 20" a year). I think that would overwhelm just about any drainage system.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
That was very exceptional because it rained something like 12 inches in 12 hours (the city averages just under 20" a year). I think that would overwhelm just about any drainage system.
Yes, but even an average thunderstorm floods the roads and such on campus. Not to the point of canceling classes but one must be prepared for it just the same.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:38 AM

Thanks everybody for your kind responses.

By the way, is one going to lead a hard life if one doesn't own a car?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaahinK View Post
Thanks everybody for your kind responses.

By the way, is one going to lead a hard life if one doesn't own a car?
No, not at all -- that's why I mentioned the excellent bus service available. The bus routes take students to campus and back, plus to the mall and shopping areas. Some apartment complexes have a shuttle service that takes their residents to campus, as well. Tech even has a special number you can call late if you get stranded somewhere and they'll pick you up.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 PM

4,721 posts, read 8,002,956 times
Welcome to Lubbock ShaahinK! I looked up the Honeycomb apartments, and they are in a great location, but the quality might not be so great. But I guess you get what you pay for. I think in your situation it would be fine to live without a car because of the proximity of Tech and other ammenities to your apartment. I have not taken the local bus myself, but I've heard that it is a decent system if you need to get across town. I think you will fit in just fine; Lubbock is a college town and it is very diverse for a city its size (in fact, the Shah from Iran lived here for a while training at the air force base). Lubbock will be very different, but I think you will adapt quickly. Best of luck!

Old 10-29-2008, 01:32 AM

7 posts, read 18,438 times
Did you know the Shah of Iran's son once lived in Lubbock? Reza Pahlavi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Honeycomb Apt. have been there forever - they remind me of an older motel - nothing special.

However I love their location and they are a neat little complex. I think you will like them until you get to know Lubbock.

You are about as close to campus as you can get without living in a dorm.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:36 AM

Wow! Interesting info about the Shah of Iran and his son! Didn't know that .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: