Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:33 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times

Advertisements

I know a thread similar to this has been done before, but I figured I would do one with little bit different format. What is your opinion of Lubbock? What are your experiences with Lubbock? How do you think Lubbock could become a better city?

Old 12-07-2008, 07:00 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Default Vision / Fix The City's Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I know a thread similar to this has been done before, but I figured I would do one with little bit different format. What is your opinion of Lubbock? What are your experiences with Lubbock? How do you think Lubbock could become a better city?
You probably could have done a poll, my friend. Anyway, all the times I've been to that city have been good experiences, but each time having me wonder the same thing: Why isn't this city bigger? Of course, we've spent time giving opinions all over the place as to why. My evaluation, based on what I've read in other sources, including C-D, is that the city didn't develop a vision after the 1970 tornado. These days, I think people in town are starting to see the light, but there's a ways to go. When they've seen other Texas cities improve their downtowns, Lubbock has finally followed suit and is now taking steps -- slowly -- to fix this. That would be the place to begin. Get downtown active, moving, and visible. It needs a skyline, and that NTS Tower is not exactly going to excite chirping crickets. Lubbock is a fine city, but it can get to the next level. The way to do it is with vision. If you don't see it before you see it, then you'll never see it.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:38 PM

100 posts, read 446,457 times
I enjoy it here. Though it does seem to a pretty big gap between the poor and rich. What are you going to do though right, but other than that it's a cool city if you don't mind the handful of college kids who like to talk a lot of smack.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:30 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,935,108 times
I overheard a Longhorn fan (I assume) saying, "everyone's so friendly here" at the Tech/UT game. I think that the people are its greatest asset.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:54 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,105 times
Lubbock is a nice mid-sized city with very friendly people, low cost of living and good, sometimes exciting weather.

My experiences: I was born there and lived there for 22 years (Monterey HS, BS at Tech) before moving away in search of technology jobs. Lots of my relatives still live there, and we make it back down to the South Plains once a year or so. My in-laws live in Levelland.

How could Lubbock become better: Develop downtown, as Case said. The whole CBD area is an abomination. From my own personal viewpoint, they also need more high tech, biotech, or renewable energy jobs, which are few and far between right now (wind power research not withstanding). They are moving forward on changing these things, but very slowly. By the time they get done, I fear other cities will have jumped ahead again.

Also, abolish the stupid packaged alcohol restriction. I understand a vote may be coming up on that. May sanity prevail.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:30 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
I enjoy it here. Though it does seem to a pretty big gap between the poor and rich. What are you going to do though right, but other than that it's a cool city if you don't mind the handful of college kids who like to talk a lot of smack.
I'm a little curious what your experience of the gap between the rich and the poor came is. From my own observation, Lubbock is mostly middle class. There are low income neighborhoods east of University, and there are very rich neighborhoods like Rush and Lakeridge, but a very large portion of Lubbock is middle class. Almost all the neighborhoods west of University are middle class.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:39 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
I'll have to be going to Lubbock next week for a couple of days, and I've never been.. any suggestions on stuff to do during/places to go? I guess it's supposed to be pretty cold...

What's the packaged alcohol restriction? That's a new one for me. I've heard of dry counties, "moist" counties, etc... and things like "package stores" in the north eastern states.. anything like that?

Old 12-08-2008, 10:52 PM

100 posts, read 446,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm a little curious what your experience of the gap between the rich and the poor came is. From my own observation, Lubbock is mostly middle class. There are low income neighborhoods east of University, and there are very rich neighborhoods like Rush and Lakeridge, but a very large portion of Lubbock is middle class. Almost all the neighborhoods west of University are middle class.

Well I delivered for Domino's and some of the places I had to deliver to look like images of a third world country. It was just interesting to see some extreme poor places that were relatively just blocks away from the University. It was just an observation though.

But expanding on my opinion, people generally are very friendly with exception of as I said the college kids who become talkative around a crowd to flex their manhood. Other than that it's a friendly city, with plenty to do and plenty of people to meet.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:18 PM

588 posts, read 2,829,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
What's the packaged alcohol restriction? That's a new one for me. I've heard of dry counties, "moist" counties, etc... and things like "package stores" in the north eastern states.. anything like that?
Yes, Lubbock is a dry county, with the exception of "the strip", a row of liquor/beer stores south of town. I think there might be one or two other places where you can buy beer and alcohol in the county as well.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:26 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Yes, Lubbock is a dry county, with the exception of "the strip", a row of liquor/beer stores south of town. I think there might be one or two other places where you can buy beer and alcohol in the county as well.
Thanks for the info -- that's starting to sound familiar, I think I may have heard something to that effect before.

What about restaurants? Do you have to become a "club" member or something to order beer/wine at a restaurant in Lubbock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock