Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:01 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times

Advertisements

I lived in Lubbock for a couple of years back in the late 80's while going to Texas Tech (got my B.A. there). Anyway, I liked it a lot. The people there were very friendly and always made me feel right at home. The locals are also very supportive of Tech and I always appreciated that. One guy even gave me a 20% discount on a car repair I needed one time just for being a Tech student. The only thing I didn't like about it was the dust storms that would come through from time to time and the cold winters, but other than that, it was a nice place to live.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:38 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
TT Dave, I think you'll like it a lot more now than you did yesterday. As soon as the economy starts picking up again, you will see a plethora of new activity, but for now, a lot of potential growth is in a holding pattern. That doesn't mean you won't see a few bulldozers here and there. The Marsha Sharp Freeway rolls on with construction as more phases move closer to completion, and the McDougal boys are trying to secure deals in the downtown area. And there's more, too. In case you might not have heard, Lubbock officially became a wet city as of last weekend's (May 9) election. This will be real pivotal in drawing more and more corporations and other companies to the city, many of whom may have been passing on the city before, simply because it was dry and had not had the extra tax revenue. So, with that vote passing, it gives the city that much more momentum.

Market*News

Old 05-18-2009, 04:30 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Hey! I didn't realize my thread had come back up! I'm so glad to see people like it. I really like how the North Overton redevelopment is coming along, and I can't wait for the downtown revitalization. I think Lubbock is progressing along great, and I'm looking forward to it becoming an even better city.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:59 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
TT Dave, I think you'll like it a lot more now than you did yesterday. As soon as the economy starts picking up again, you will see a plethora of new activity, but for now, a lot of potential growth is in a holding pattern. That doesn't mean you won't see a few bulldozers here and there. The Marsha Sharp Freeway rolls on with construction as more phases move closer to completion, and the McDougal boys are trying to secure deals in the downtown area. And there's more, too. In case you might not have heard, Lubbock officially became a wet city as of last weekend's (May 9) election. This will be real pivotal in drawing more and more corporations and other companies to the city, many of whom may have been passing on the city before, simply because it was dry and had not had the extra tax revenue. So, with that vote passing, it gives the city that much more momentum.

Market*News
Cool! It sounds like Lubbock will have a head start when the economy improves.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:47 AM

437 posts, read 925,145 times
US News and World Report also just named Lubbock one of the Top Ten Best Places for Retiree Job Seekers! Lubbock has really been almost unscathed by the economic downturn.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:13 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Gosh, I"ve been trying to get back to Lubbock since the beginning of the year and I'm so frustrated! I'm in the PacNW right now and I so want to get back to TX!! I've been applying to Tech left and right, but nothing is moving. I can't find work in my current industry in Lubbock (I'm a technical writer for an aerospace co) but I've worked at university before, both on the adminstrative and the educator sides. I can't think of any other companies/institutions in Lubbock to apply to, except maybe the state (I have worked for the state of Tx before). I just want to get back already! Okay---thanks for letting me rant!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 4,860 times
Great news, for those of you who don't know, Lubbock is no longer dry the strip is gone and you can buy liquor/beer anywhere in town we're moving on up! I have lived here all my life, I was in the May 11, 1970 (F5) tornado AND SURVIVED. I love the the fact that although this is a small city, we enjoy the concerts, shopping mall and shopping outlets, Texas Tech football, great restaurants and wonderful schools. Lubbock is a great city to bring up kids. We have 2 interstates going through Lubbock (Yea!) which makes getting from one end of town to the other in 15 minutes. This is Buddy Holly country and we are proud of that. Oh by the way the dust storms are no longer as bad as they used to be, and if you don't like the weather, stick around five minutes and it will change. Ha Ha. Come visit and see for yourself, we are up and coming, this is a small/big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock