U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: lubbock booming in pop.
yes 4 23.53%
no 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:48 PM

146 posts, read 504,048 times

Advertisements

I know that this has been discused but how many of you think that lubbock is fixing to boom in population like austin and san antonio alot of people seem to think so do any of yall think it will and if so when
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,159,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
I know that this has been discused but how many of you think that lubbock is fixing to boom in population like austin and san antonio alot of people seem to think so do any of yall think it will and if so when
not like Austin or San Antonio. what's going on in Lubbock to make it boom?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:33 PM

146 posts, read 504,048 times
alot of people seem to think that lubbock is going to see the type of growth that san antonio and austin are seeing some time in the near future

Old 12-10-2008, 10:15 AM

1,505 posts, read 4,127,400 times
I don't think so because Lubbock has many of the same negative population pressures that cities and towns across west Texas have. Don't get me wrong, I like Lubbock and west Texas but there are certain attributes of the area that will always limit population growth.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:51 PM

588 posts, read 2,742,145 times
Nope, no boom. Just slow and steady growth. There has to be a catalyst for a boom, and Lubbock does not have one. Lubbock is absorbing many people from the small towns in the Panhandle and on the South Plains, which is the main driver for its slow growth.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,219,096 times
Not exactly "boom", but maybe it could grow at a healthy clip (like now).

Old 12-10-2008, 04:21 PM

51,478 posts, read 44,837,058 times
Default It Will - One Day

Lubbock has yet to have that "big" catalyst, but I'm optimistic that they'll get that eventually. The metropolitan area is showing signs that something is on the verge of coming. It's not going to be another Dallas or Houston. Not even close. It is eventually going to be larger than it is now. Just wait until the Shallowaters, Idalous, New Deals, and Wolfforths start getting it going with new rooftops. Lubbock will continue to annex new land, so they aren't really landlocked. As a city, they're just reaching adolescence. They've got to go through growing pains first; the people out there are not used to having so much new development like what they've had in the last five years, and they're also not used to all of the new infrastructure. This will take time; it's just a late bloomer, that's all. The metro will one day come into its own, but for right now, it's a slow process.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:12 PM

4,720 posts, read 8,036,380 times
I have to agree that right now, Lubbock is not in a boom, but I believe it has the catalyst for growth; the city has not yet capitalized on it. Austin, as we all know, is a center for music and culture, but for many people it has become too mainstream for their liking. Those are the people who are looking for an "undiscovered" college town, and their search has led them to Lubbock and Denton. I've talked to people who aren't from Lubbock (and Texas for that matter) who think Lubbock and Denton are the next "big" places. The only problem is that our leaders think of Lubbock as a town with a college instead of a college town (if that makes since to you). I'm really hoping that the downtown revitalization will encourage local business and create a lively and creative atmosphere. If Lubbock isn't successful in promoting its college atmosphere, then Lubbock won't get much larger than it is.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:54 PM

4,952 posts, read 7,502,098 times
too much dust for it go get big time, but I still love the town. I don't really want to see it changing much anyway.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM

15,429 posts, read 20,016,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant View Post
I hope not. I'll be trying to buy at least one Lubbock area home next summer. I just spent all day today digging through Lubbock-area realtor websites.

In all seriousness though, I'm hearing the same things you are. And if the small high plains town of Clovis, New Mexico can boom like it has in recent years, there's not much that can hold Lubbock back. I don't believe Lubbock will see the sort of growth as seen by Austin or San Antonio, but I do believe that the growth will be quite astounding to the average South Panhandle person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock