Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 08:39 PM

22 posts, read 56,596 times

Advertisements

How are the LISD AND Frenship ISD in Lubbock, Texas, I hear there are good but I want to make sure, because the school district here in Edinburg, Texas are not all that great. Im trying to find the rite school district for my kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 06:58 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,525 times
For what it's worth, I don't live there any longer. My daughters both graduated from Frenship in the last 4 years, however, and did real well in the school. FISD was for years the pick over LISD for most folks in the city who were relocating. Generally on the west and south part of the city, west of Frankford Ave is FISD. Much new and recent construction in that area, with lots of nicer homes to look at.

I hear tell (purely hearsay mind you) that Lubbock-Cooper is up and coming as a nice district now. Smaller than FISD and LISD by a long shot, but their district covers a whole lot of new areas in the south part of the city of Lubbock.

In reality, there is no perfection, since all schools are made up by the people who live in the district. All human beings prone to the not quite so perfect flaws in all of us.

But Cooper and Frenship would be worth focusing more of your research effort into, with LISD in third. There are a number of other school districts that intersect other sections of the city, and even more that are adjacent to the city. Depends on how small you wish to go.

Good luck!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 AM

437 posts, read 925,047 times
Cooper ISD is the "it" district to be in right now. Lots of new buildings being built and lots of people building houses just to get into that district. It's much smaller than LISD and FISD, which I think is part of the draw for people. When FISD was much smaller, that's where everyone wanted to be. When it got huge, people who wanted to be in a smaller district fled to Cooper. I suspect the same thing will happen at Cooper eventually and another district will become "hot."

Old 09-22-2011, 12:36 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
It depends on which level of school you're looking for. For elementary, almost every single school (even those in the rougher parts of town) tends to be great. That goes for all three of the main districts. For middle school, Hutchinson and OL Slaton have magnet programs that draw some of the best students in town. The only middle schools I would truly warn away from are Cavazos, Atkins, and Alderson. For the high school level, I admit that I can be a bit biased, but Lubbock High truly is by far the best in town, if not the best west of I-35. It is ranked annually on Newsweek's best high schools list. It usually has the highest TAKS scores in town (not that that is a good indicator), and it produces almost all city's National Merit Finalists. However, Coronado, Frenship, Cooper, and even Shallowater are great choices as well. I would warn against Estacado and Monterey.

Both Frenship and Cooper are growing rapidly, so they have newer schools, but because of their growth, they have a tendency to be overcrowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock