U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Texas Tech get a Flagship status
Yes 24 58.54%
No 7 17.07%
Another college will get it 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:41 AM

10,152 posts, read 18,633,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
What the heck is "flagship status?"
I googled it, and I'm still not sure. I thought it meant the flagship school of a university system (like the UT system or A&M system in Texas).. which Texas Tech already is (their system includes Texas State, and some Tech branches in cities other than Lubbock). Then I read it also refers to "Tier 1" status, which I thought was U.S. News classification (which would mean that A&M isn't a flagship and that Rice is)...

anyway, I'm confused.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:07 PM

8,062 posts, read 17,326,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
It may just be because I'm from Lubbock, but I believe Texas Tech deserves it the most. It is the most established school of the ones lobbying for flagship status, and it has been campaigning for it for as long as I can remember. It is already the leading research institute in wind technology, and it is building up a very good medical program (Tech, in partnership with Harvard, has found what may be a cure for AIDS). If asked what the three main universities are in Texas, most people would say UT, A&M, and Tech, with Tech being the one without the flagship status. I think it would really hurt Tech and West Texas in general if it was passed over for this opportunity. It would basically say that the lawmakers don't care about West Texas.
You're right. Tech has the largest campus (area-wise) in the nation and is a "full-service" university in Lubbock. The medical school, teaching hospital, law school, etc. are right there, as opposed to being spread out over the state. They opened their pharmacy school here in Abilene and I believe Tech is part of the center for cancer research being built in Abilene, too. Angelo State University in San Angelo is now part of the Texas Tech system.

Dissing Tech would be perceived as dissing West Texas. That wouldn't sit well. It would also prop up the elitist tendencies of some who look down their noses at anything outside of the major metros and their 'burbs.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:55 PM

1,488 posts, read 4,995,186 times
I thought Tech's pharmacy school was in Amarillo when I lived there.....has it been moved?

Old 01-30-2009, 09:46 PM

10 posts, read 30,015 times
I'm a graduate of Tech and of A&M. (For undergrad and grad school, respectively.) A&M is flagship. Tech is not. Football has nothing to do with this.

In my opinion, UH is better poised for 'flagship status' for at least three reasons; diversity, location, enrollment. Diversity is important because businesses, when recruiting, care about this. Location -- professors care -- when attracting top talent, this matters. Houston has the arts (y más!). By enrollment, UH is the 3rd largest in the state (after UT and A&M), and Tech is the 7th (after also UNT, SWT, and UTSA).

Old 01-30-2009, 09:49 PM

898 posts, read 2,447,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I googled it, and I'm still not sure. I thought it meant the flagship school of a university system (like the UT system or A&M system in Texas).. which Texas Tech already is (their system includes Texas State, and some Tech branches in cities other than Lubbock). Then I read it also refers to "Tier 1" status, which I thought was U.S. News classification (which would mean that A&M isn't a flagship and that Rice is)...

anyway, I'm confused.
I have no idea what this means either...

Old 01-31-2009, 11:41 AM

588 posts, read 2,738,624 times
From this article (http://media.www.dailytoreador.com/media/storage/paper870/news/2008/10/06/News/Tech-Officials.Continue.Push.For.TierOne.Flagship.Statu s-3470106.shtml - broken link):
Quote:
He said there are several different ways to define a flagship university: It can be defined as the leading university in a university system, a university that is a member of the American Association of Universities or a university that has more than $100 million in externally funded research.

In regards to those three measurements, McClure said Tech is about $60 million away from reaching $100 million in research and it is the head of a university system. However, he said it would take a number of years to become part of the AAU, as there are many requirements to become a member.

"We clearly are top of the pack of all the other public universities in the state when it comes to academic quality, research spending, endowment, enrollment - almost any measure you look at," he said.
I'm a TTU graduate, and I would like to see Tech gain flagship status, but it looks like it has a ways to go in a couple of the areas.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
I thought Tech's pharmacy school was in Amarillo when I lived there.....has it been moved?
Don't know if it was in Amarillo but it's here on Pine Street. They built a big, beautiful building next to Hendrick Hospital. The cancer research center is going in near there, too, I believe. The pharmacy school opened here recently -- maybe a year and a half ago.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:19 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,130,043 times
It should go to University of Houston. Texas Tech is known more for being a party school. The proximity of the University of Houston to the Texas Medical Center makes it a great place for research. If not the University of Houston it should probably go to the University of North Texas.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:42 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,182,832 times
UNT? Hell no. Texas Tech way above UNT as far as getting it. Even UT-Arlington above UTA. As for the medical center part, UH is actually trying to build a medical school in the TMC.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
It should go to University of Houston. Texas Tech is known more for being a party school. The proximity of the University of Houston to the Texas Medical Center makes it a great place for research. If not the University of Houston it should probably go to the University of North Texas.
Um, if I'm not mistaken, UT ranked higher as a "party school" than Tech did. That's hardly an objective notion, however, and I don't see how "degree of partying" is relevant anyway.

Tech has ITS OWN teaching hospital and receives many millions of dollars in research funding from a variety of sources. My good friends live near London (England) and they called me one weekend to tell me they watched a news show on the BBC about Tech's pioneering research in nano-second technology. I've personally seen programs on Discovery and TLC related to Tech Engineering's wind impact lab and how their research has led to improved building practices and materials to resist tornado damage. Tech Engineering is also working with NASCAR in developing stronger materials and designs for cars. As someone else mentioned, Tech researchers are at the forefront of medical research and advances, too.

As I've said before, my son goes to Tech and I am very much aware of the research grants and projects Tech has and the university's commitment to pursue more. I've also seen Tech disparaged by "fans" of other universities and the root of that seems to be that we're out here in West Texas and not near a metro so our uni just can't possibly be worthy. Believe it or not, many students, like my son, CHOOSE Tech over UT and A&M because of Tech's programs and its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock