U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Texas Tech get a Flagship status
Yes 24 58.54%
No 7 17.07%
Another college will get it 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 03:54 PM

4,721 posts, read 8,005,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Texas Tech is known more for being a party school.
I was not aware of this. I thought UT and Texas State were the party schools.
Personally, I think a university that already has a medical school, as well as a law school and liberal arts all on one campus, is more deserving to receive the flagship status.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 03:59 PM

8,062 posts, read 17,328,137 times
Here we go. Tech didn't make the Top 20. UT is No. 8. Should UT lose its "flagship status" over it? Let's get real.

Top 20 party schools | LOCAL NEWS | KHOU.com | News for Houston, Texas (http://www.khou.com/news/local/stories/khou080728_tj_partyschoolslist.1149b744.html - broken link)

Old 02-03-2009, 06:30 AM

634 posts, read 1,374,672 times
Default Arbitrary Classifications

My understanding is that Texas Tech, along with the University of Houston, the University of North Texas, and the University of Texas at San Antonio (there may be more) are hoping to approach the legislature to anoint them with so-called "flagship" status in the hopes of ascending into the supposed upper echelon of higher education as it is defined by Texas. It's rather unfortunate as I am inclined to believe that these efforts do more to distract from the more pressing problem, which is how Texas can improve the quality of education, research, and by extension, reputation, of its universities on the whole.

While I loathe to invoke the US News rankings, they are an undeniable force in their ability to sway parents, students, administrators, and legislators. With that in mind, it is significant to note that Texas has only two universities listed in the top 50 (UT, and Rice), one of which is public, the other private. The University of California System (and no, this is not meant to raise the ire of all of the California detestors who abound) has six universities in the top 50. All public and all ranked before my alma mater, UT Austin. This is to say nothing of universities such as Stanford, USC, and Cal Tech.

Leaving aside for now the very relevant arguments about California's high tax environment and the current economic residuals which have ensued (budget deficits of mammoth proportions, population exodus, etc), it remains worth recognizing that investing in the education of one's citizens should be a high priority, regardless of how one feels about the state under discussion. I don't feel that it's an issue of being better, worse, or what have you, than another state, so much as it is that there are comparable demographics which should compel us to elevate our status for the state's benefit.

For better or worse, given the interconnected nature of universities and commercial centers, I am inclined to believe that the University of Houston may have the inside track on this whole "flagship" race insofar as the city of Houston would serve as a fine incubator for the university/commercial partnerships which are often sought after in the absence of state funding.

I guess we shall see.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,614,533 times
Why isn't two or three new flagships an option? Or is it?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:08 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,184,676 times
Yeah, California's system makes Texas' system look like a university-system out of Haiti. Texas' is pretty sad.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 AM

2,899 posts, read 3,272,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Yeah, California's system makes Texas' system look like a university-system out of Haiti. Texas' is pretty sad.
I hope you are joking. Texas colleges are just fine. You know that those rankings are not really based on real life anyway. They are mostly for show. If you are a top flight business or engineering firm, if you have a degree from UT Austin or TAMU you will match up just fine with someone from Harvard or MIT.

A funny story, after I graduated from A&M in 07, I got offered a job in the bay area over a number of grads some from Cal Berkeley and Stanford. I say again, those rankings are mostly opinion, probably done by some Euro Liberal.

That being said, I think TTU is deserving of flagship type status as well as UH to join A&M and UT Austin

Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 AM

63 posts, read 275,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
No. Lubbock doesn't have enough representation in the state government. UH, UTSA, or one of the Dallas schools will get it. They are big cities without flagship universities. State legislatures have already said funding will not happen in the 2009 session. If it does happen in 2011 the funding would probably be divided among 2-3 schools to gain votes. Tech is a good school, but you have to look at the politics.
This kind of logic baffles me. Do people unfamiliar with Texas Tech really think only students from West Texas and Lubbock attend school there? 3/4 of Tech students come from areas of Texas outside of West Texas. There is a huge alumni base in D/FW along with sizeable alumni bases in Houston, San Antonio and everywhere else in Texas. Tech has students and alumni from all across the state of Texas and the nation. UH is a very regionalized "commuter school" as some would call it with little name recongnition outside of Houston. Tech also currently holds a better academic reputation than UH. In terms of endowment, I believe TTU is slightly behind UH, and closing the gap fast.

Don't get me wrong, UH is very deserving of Tier 1 status as is Texas Tech. The state needs more top tier research institutions to stay competitive with other large states. Three additional schools would be ideal, and as I understand it Tech, UH and UT-Dallas are the only schools in position to make a push. But, there is no doubt Tech is next in line.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:18 PM

15,988 posts, read 33,607,245 times
What about Baylor?? I think they are doing the same thing. It's a plan called Baylor 2012. The campus has been expanding and is now putting student housing in Downtown Waco, and soon want to build a "Beardome". Baylor has a good rep, but what I beleive stops it is the whole "christianity" thing.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:20 PM

15,988 posts, read 33,607,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTx View Post
This kind of logic baffles me. Do people unfamiliar with Texas Tech really think only students from West Texas and Lubbock attend school there? 3/4 of Tech students come from areas of Texas outside of West Texas. There is a huge alumni base in D/FW along with sizeable alumni bases in Houston, San Antonio and everywhere else in Texas. Tech has students and alumni from all across the state of Texas and the nation. UH is a very regionalized "commuter school" as some would call it with little name recongnition outside of Houston. Tech also currently holds a better academic reputation than UH. In terms of endowment, I believe TTU is slightly behind UH, and closing the gap fast.

Don't get me wrong, UH is very deserving of Tier 1 status as is Texas Tech. The state needs more top tier research institutions to stay competitive with other large states. Three additional schools would be ideal, and as I understand it Tech, UH and UT-Dallas are the only schools in position to make a push. But, there is no doubt Tech is next in line.
Also many of the UH students are from the Houston area.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:24 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,736,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTx View Post

It doesn't matter that some of the residents of Houston or Dallas may be alumnus or have children attending TTU. Very few representatives in these cities attended TTU. They are going to support an additional $100 million going to the area they represent... the people that elected them. Tech is a great school and were it located in Houston it likely would be flaghship already. TTU best bet is for the money to be shared.

San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston each have more representation than ALL of West Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock