U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Texas Tech get a Flagship status
Yes 24 58.54%
No 7 17.07%
Another college will get it 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:12 PM

4,721 posts, read 7,998,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
It doesn't matter that some of the residents of Houston or Dallas may be alumnus or have children attending TTU. Very few representatives in these cities attended TTU. They are going to support an additional $100 million going to the area they represent... the people that elected them. Tech is a great school and were it located in Houston it likely would be flaghship already. TTU best bet is for the money to be shared.

San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston each have more representation than ALL of West Texas.
If everything was determined by politics, Texas Tech would not even be in Lubbock. I compared the two universities, and Texas Tech comes out on top in everything except enrollment and the population of the city it's located in. Are lawmakers really going to overlook academics because Lubbock is smaller than Houston? If you think about it, giving the flagship status to TTU would have a greater positive impact on Lubbock than giving it to UH would have on Houston.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:47 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,735,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
If everything was determined by politics, Texas Tech would not even be in Lubbock. I compared the two universities, and Texas Tech comes out on top in everything except enrollment and the population of the city it's located in. Are lawmakers really going to overlook academics because Lubbock is smaller than Houston? If you think about it, giving the flagship status to TTU would have a greater positive impact on Lubbock than giving it to UH would have on Houston.
Yes Why do you think UT is funded so well? Whoever has the most connections in Austin wins.

If your interested in reading more on the situation:

What is Tier One? - Office of the President, UT Dallas

Old 02-05-2009, 11:28 AM

634 posts, read 1,373,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
What about Baylor?? I think they are doing the same thing. It's a plan called Baylor 2012. The campus has been expanding and is now putting student housing in Downtown Waco, and soon want to build a "Beardome". Baylor has a good rep, but what I beleive stops it is the whole "christianity" thing.
Baylor is poised for significant transformation, but it will require smart administrative decisions (i.e. reaching out to alumni, making those all-important ties with legislators, and reaching out to a broader applicant pool, among so many other things). Baylor has a good start, but will ruin any significant headway if it continues to propose policies such as its recent effort to award cash to students who retook the SAT in the hopes of raising the quantitative measure of their enrollment statistics. After a slew of media criticism the policy was rescinded.

I reiterate my previously stated position that I long for a day when Texas universities receive a infusion of support which will permit the elevation of Texas higher education on the whole. And by that I mean ALL systems, whether they be the UT System, A&M System, the State University system, or community colleges. Again, we shall see.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:09 PM

6,882 posts, read 19,522,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Baylor has a good rep, but what I beleive stops it is the whole "christianity" thing.

Yeah, darn it, that whole "Jesus" thing they're based on really puts a chin*k in the ol' armor, doesn't it?

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 02-05-2009 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: wouldn't let me put "chin*k" without the asterisk

Old 02-05-2009, 10:04 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,177,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I hope you are joking. Texas colleges are just fine. You know that those rankings are not really based on real life anyway. They are mostly for show. If you are a top flight business or engineering firm, if you have a degree from UT Austin or TAMU you will match up just fine with someone from Harvard or MIT.

A funny story, after I graduated from A&M in 07, I got offered a job in the bay area over a number of grads some from Cal Berkeley and Stanford. I say again, those rankings are mostly opinion, probably done by some Euro Liberal.

That being said, I think TTU is deserving of flagship type status as well as UH to join A&M and UT Austin
It's no secret that the California University system is much better than the university systems in Texas.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:33 AM

2,899 posts, read 3,270,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
It's no secret that the California University system is much better than the university systems in Texas.
Only people that believe in rankings think so. If you were to ask professors and academic community members you would find that there is not that much difference.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:31 PM

288 posts, read 877,297 times
UT is certainly no slouch, but the research opportunities and resources of the UC system are unsurpassed in the nation -- especially in the biosciences.

The Texas university systems are certainly respectable with several quality institutions (e.g. UT, TAMU, Rice, etc), but considering that Texas is the second most populous and prosperous state in the US, they could be so much more.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 PM

6,203 posts, read 10,704,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I hope you are joking. Texas colleges are just fine. You know that those rankings are not really based on real life anyway. They are mostly for show. If you are a top flight business or engineering firm, if you have a degree from UT Austin or TAMU you will match up just fine with someone from Harvard or MIT.
When it comes to light that the university is in Texas, there is a big sigh of reluctance.

Actually they fill up the positions with Harvard and MIT graduates until there are none left then they start filling it with UT and A&M grads.

I briefly considered going out of state after hearing about the reputation of Texas universities, but not in this economy.
Quote:
A funny story, after I graduated from A&M in 07, I got offered a job in the bay area over a number of grads some from Cal Berkeley and Stanford. I say again, those rankings are mostly opinion, probably done by some Euro Liberal.
The only reason you got an offer in S.F. is because of "diversity". I was looking at SC stats on the recruiting brochure PDF file and was alarmed at the single digit percentage of the student body from the South.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 PM

252 posts, read 691,863 times
Several of the posts on here are hilarious. I think a lot of you are just pushing the university that you went to rather than being realistic.

To answer the OP question, right now Texas State is a stronger school than Tech academically. I didn't go to Texas State but when I was in high school, the place was really just a regional school for education majors who liked to drink. Since then, it has leaped over Tech in the academic standings, which wasn't easy to do.

At this point, it would be foolish to grant Texas Tech flagship status when it is getting it's butt kicked by a school down in San Marcos. Tech has been somewhat stagnant the past few years.

Right now, Texas State and Tech more or less compete for the same students, and San Marcos is more desirable to live than Lubbock. Ten years ago, Texas State was more of a niche school compared to Tech.

Quote:
Yes, I think it will happen, weirdly enough because of the football team's most recent season.
Football has nothing to do with academics and Tech's football team is going to go down the drain since Leach left anyway. All they really had was a gimmick offense.

Quote:
No. I think the University of Houston will get it first
I've never met anyone who went to UH outside of Houston and it doesn't really have a reputation outside of Houston.

Besides, Texas State is 30 minutes away from UT Austin yet it didn't seem to bother Texas State's desire for growth. So I don't buy into the A&M excuse when it comes to UH.

To declare UH a flagship school at this point would be a complete joke.

Quote:
It may just be because I'm from Lubbock, but I believe Texas Tech deserves it the most.
It is because you're just from Lubbock because Tech is getting their asses handed to them in the standings by Texas State. Texas State has made some great strides the past few years. If Tech deserved it they be more neck-and-neck with Texas State.

Quote:
UH, UTSA, or one of the Dallas schools will get it.
UTSA?!?!?! Are you joking?????

UT is the flagship university of the UT system which UTSA is a part of. Ignoring the fact that UTSA is a commuter/two-years-and-transfer school, I seriously doubt Texas would make two flagships in the same university system.

Quote:
Dissing Tech would be perceived as dissing West Texas.
Check your geography, Lubbock is in the panhandle 125 miles south of Amarillo. West Texas is generally perceived to be the area west of Big Spring on west to El Paso. Calling Lubbock West Texas is like calling Dallas East Texas.

Quote:
It would also prop up the elitist tendencies of some who look down their noses at anything outside of the major metros and their 'burbs.
Gee, maybe that's because the major metros have more amenities and a stronger job market than Lubbock?

Not sure why you're being so sensitive about "elitists" unless you agree with them and hate it at the same time.

Quote:
Tech has the largest campus (area-wise) in the nation and is a "full-service" university in Lubbock. The medical school, teaching hospital, law school, etc. are right there, as opposed to being spread out over the state.
Full-service doesn't mean a lot... academics mean the most. I'm pretty sure A&M has a medical school and they will leapfrog over Tech if they haven't done so already. A&M overall spends over eight times as much in research than Tech. There are like nine law schools in Texas and Tech is ranked fifth or sixth. It also really doesn't matter whether it's spread out over the state or not because the students are segregated by program anyway.

Quote:
In my opinion, UH is better poised for 'flagship status' for at least three reasons; diversity, location, enrollment.
Those are very valid factors but I do think that Tech has a edge over UH in terms of academics that also plays a lot into it. UH just seems like a big community college. But if UH does get considered, it will revolve around those three factors you mentioned.

Quote:
It should go to University of Houston. Texas Tech is known more for being a party school. The proximity of the University of Houston to the Texas Medical Center makes it a great place for research.
At least Texas Tech is known for something, can't say that about UH. While I was at A&M nobody ever spoke about UH, unlike Tech. A&M will offer more in the research department.

Quote:
Um, if I'm not mistaken, UT ranked higher as a "party school" than Tech did.
UT is also better known. I was at Tech for a semester and I transferred out because the party to academics ratio was way too high compared to UT and A&M.

Quote:
Tech has ITS OWN teaching hospital and receives many millions of dollars in research funding from a variety of sources.
I'm not entirely convinced that having a teaching hospital should make a school a flagship considering that the majority of students are not in the medical program.

Quote:
Yeah, California's system makes Texas' system look like a university-system out of Haiti. Texas' is pretty sad.
You don't have a clue. The past semester, there were riots on campii in California because one of the university systems decided to raise tuition over $1000 in ONE SEMESTER.

Quote:
This kind of logic baffles me. Do people unfamiliar with Texas Tech really think only students from West Texas and Lubbock attend school there? 3/4 of Tech students come from areas of Texas outside of West Texas. There is a huge alumni base in D/FW along with sizeable alumni bases in Houston, San Antonio and everywhere else in Texas. Tech has students and alumni from all across the state of Texas and the nation. UH is a very regionalized "commuter school" as some would call it with little name recongnition outside of Houston. Tech also currently holds a better academic reputation than UH. In terms of endowment, I believe TTU is slightly behind UH, and closing the gap fast.

Don't get me wrong, UH is very deserving of Tier 1 status as is Texas Tech. The state needs more top tier research institutions to stay competitive with other large states. Three additional schools would be ideal, and as I understand it Tech, UH and UT-Dallas are the only schools in position to make a push. But, there is no doubt Tech is next in line.
I agree for the most part. When I was at Tech, most everyone I knew there was from DFW. Tech is also stronger than UH academically.

But I don't agree that UH and Texas Tech deserve Tier 1 status. Those are earned, not given. The State of Texas can declare all they want but it doesn't make the school Tier 1. Hell, Texas State has been pushing a lot harder lately than Tech.

Last edited by triwing; 02-11-2010 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 07:44 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,611,005 times
Hey, triwing. Could you answer this question?

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas/888167-triwing.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock