U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Texas Tech get a Flagship status
Yes 24 58.54%
No 7 17.07%
Another college will get it 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:10 AM

1,504 posts, read 2,545,718 times

Advertisements

In this economy, there are not funds to make another tier 1 university in Texas. This is all blustering talk. With both U.T. and A&M facing significant budget cuts due to legislative underfunding, Texas needs to be more worried about maintaining tier 1 status for the two tier 1 public universities it already has, because if cuts continue, it will more likely have none than 3!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 PM

4,721 posts, read 8,005,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
Several of the posts on here are hilarious. I think a lot of you are just pushing the university that you went to rather than being realistic.
I have to say, your forum rampages are pretty impressive, but you really need to check your facts.

Quote:
To answer the OP question, right now Texas State is a stronger school than Tech academically. I didn't go to Texas State but when I was in high school, the place was really just a regional school for education majors who liked to drink. Since then, it has leaped over Tech in the academic standings, which wasn't easy to do.
As someone who is currently researching colleges, Texas State is still known for that. According to the College Board website, they seem very comparable. Tech has 21% of students in the top 10% of their high school class, Texas State has 14%. Tech's middle 50% of SAT scores were 480-580 in reading, 510-620 in math, and 470-570 in writing. Texas State's were 480-570 in reading, 490-590 in math, 460-550 in writing. The middle 50% of ACT scores at Tech were 21-26, and Texas State's 21-25. Of course there are tons of other factors, but just from these statistics, I think it would be safe to say they seem, like I said, very comparable. Texas State isn't even trying for the Tier 1 status though.

Quote:
Check your geography, Lubbock is in the panhandle 125 miles south of Amarillo. West Texas is generally perceived to be the area west of Big Spring on west to El Paso. Calling Lubbock West Texas is like calling Dallas East Texas.
You have made some odd statements about Lubbock before, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. (It's a working class college town? Low unemployment and a good housing market aren't good indicators of Lubbock's resilient economy?) You are dead wrong on this though. Lubbock is in West Texas. If you knew your geography, you would know the Panhandle starts 50+ miles north of Lubbock, even then the Panhandle is considered West Texas. Most people in Abilene consider themselves as being in West Texas.

Last edited by Westerner92; 02-12-2010 at 02:05 PM..

Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Status: "HEB Frisco, TX, opens Wednesday!" (set 2 hours ago)

51,329 posts, read 44,649,663 times
I believe Texas Tech has a pretty good shot at it, but I thought Tech already had a network of schools. If not, then I hope they get it.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:07 PM

252 posts, read 692,189 times
I don't really have time to respond to any more of the posts on this thread, but I said just about everything I wanted to say in my long post anyway.

The gist of my response is that academically, there are NO schools right now that deserve flagship status. Texas Tech is not very strong academically... hell, they let Angelo State into their university system yet ironically, as of a few years ago, Angelo State had harder transfer requirements. They have done nothing to really show that they deserve it from an academic standpoint considering Texas State is kicking their ass.

The University of Houston is a glorified community college that gives four-year degrees.

I can't even believe UTSA was even mentioned...

Texas State is making progress but it's still too early.

If Texas legislature just wants to add a flagship status to another school so we can have a wanna-be California school system, that's the wrong way to approach it.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:15 PM

4,721 posts, read 8,005,014 times
Quote:
I don't really have time to respond to any more of the posts on this thread, but I said just about everything I wanted to say in my long post anyway.
The gist of my response is that academically, there are NO schools right now that deserve flagship status. Texas Tech is not very strong academically... hell, they let Angelo State into their university system yet ironically, as of a few years ago, Angelo State had harder transfer requirements. They have done nothing to really show that they deserve it from an academic standpoint considering Texas State is kicking their ass.
The University of Houston is a glorified community college that gives four-year degrees.
I can't even believe UTSA was even mentioned...
Texas State is making progress but it's still too early.
If Texas legislature just wants to add a flagship status to another school so we can have a wanna-be California school system, that's the wrong way to approach it.
The whole point of Texas offering to fund more Tier 1 schools is to motivate universities to better their academics and research to be deserving of the status. A school has to meet very specific qualifications to even be considered for the title. I really can't comment on Texas State (besides the fact that they aren't even on the list of candidates), but Texas Tech has made great strides in recent years. I know they have focused particularly on medical research, as evidenced by their recent appearance with Harvard on the cover of Newsweek for discovering a possible cure for AIDS. They are also working hard to attract better and more students. This last freshman class was both the largest and the highest proportion of top 10% students in the school's history. Right now, U of H and Texas Tech are the schools that are closest to meeting the requirements of Tier 1, which is why they are the main two in the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock