Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 10:59 AM

363 posts, read 2,019,824 times

Advertisements

Hi all you helpful Texans. I'm wondering about Lubbock. I've heard a little on these forums, a job could potentilly take us there, and since we have the final choice, we are trying to get a bit of info about it. We will be driving out tomorrow, so the quicker the better I've done some investigating and two things look alarming. The tornado risk is way high in this statistics book that I have... Is that really the case? The other is the crime... The same book that I have says that the violient crime is higher then even Tampa/Clw/St. Petersburg put together! So crime??? If we lived on the outskirts- in the country- what then? Also, anything else you'd like to add? Oh, and does it snow more than Abilene? My book says yes... What about the summer heat? Worse or better then Abilene? Thanks you all for taking the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 11:24 AM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times
I would choose Lubbock over Abilene in a heartbeat.For me it would be a no brainer.It is in a higher tornado risk area,but not all that much higher than Abilene.Tornados are highly overrated as a threat.Yes,they do massive damage to the areas they hit,but the areas they hit are so small relative to the whole area that it is rather like worrying about getting hit by a meteorite during a meteor shower.It would almost certainly kill you,(the meteor,not the tornado) but in reality what are the odds?You expose yourself to much more danger every time you get into a car and drive.Crime is statistically high in Lubbock,and I'm not sure of why.I have a daughter and other family living there,and neither they nor I have ever felt unsafe,and I don't feel any less safe about my daughter than I would if she lived in Abilene,where I also have some aunts and uncles.I suspect that most of the violent and drug related crime happens on the east side of I-27 and doesn't really affect the west side.

The summer weather is about the same as Abilene,while the winter weather is a little colder with more chance of snow.

As I said,I would move there without reservation myself,especially over Abilene.But if you are intent on living in the countryside out of Lubbock it will not be anywhere near as scenic as where you are now.The city itself is fairly pretty in places,with a lot of parks with little lakes,but the surrounding area is nothing but cotton fields.

Old 07-29-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan
I would choose Lubbock over Abilene in a heartbeat.For me it would be a no brainer.It is in a higher tornado risk area,but not all that much higher than Abilene.Tornados are highly overrated as a threat.Yes,they do massive damage to the areas they hit,but the areas they hit are so small relative to the whole area that it is rather like worrying about getting hit by a meteorite during a meteor shower.It would almost certainly kill you,(the meteor,not the tornado) but in reality what are the odds?You expose yourself to much more danger every time you get into a car and drive.Crime is statistically high in Lubbock,and I'm not sure of why.I have a daughter and other family living there,and neither they nor I have ever felt unsafe,and I don't feel any less safe about my daughter than I would if she lived in Abilene,where I also have some aunts and uncles.I suspect that most of the violent and drug related crime happens on the east side of I-27 and doesn't really affect the west side.

The summer weather is about the same as Abilene,while the winter weather is a little colder with more chance of snow.

As I said,I would move there without reservation myself,especially over Abilene.But if you are intent on living in the countryside out of Lubbock it will not be anywhere near as scenic as where you are now.The city itself is fairly pretty in places,with a lot of parks with little lakes,but the surrounding area is nothing but cotton fields.
Thanks. I sent you a private message. What do cotton fields look like? I guess, I thought they'd be lovely, flat... sorta like cornfields in the midwest? No?

Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 PM

pioneer

I sent you a PM back.If you do not get it let me know.Cotton fields are not very lovely,especially the dryland ones.Kind of scraggly looking most of the time.Nothing but bare dirt a lot of the time unless the farmer plants a winter crop.When we get a storm coming in from the Panhandle we often say "here comes Lubbock",meaning the dirt from the fields.If you visit you will see.But that is about the only downfall,IMO.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:30 PM

Thank you. I did receive it and even read it to my Mother (by phone) in FL. She laughed at the "Here comes Lubbock!" part. You helped lots and if something becomes of this, I will be looking for your knowlege further. Oh, yes you had my political offiliation correct, but , just so you know- everything they stand for, I do not. I think there's room for all kinds in this world. I just hope for a place with the same open mindedness. We are so excited to drive up tomorrow. Thanks again for all the tips! (P.S. I love snow! What ski slopes? Colorado?... Oh my goodness, my kids would love it... I think I'd break my neck!... Hope there's a bunny slope!)

Old 07-29-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
(P.S. I love snow! What ski slopes? Colorado?... Oh my goodness, my kids would love it... I think I'd break my neck!... Hope there's a bunny slope!)

There are 3 in northern NM about 6 hrs from Lubbock.Angel Fire,Taos Ski Valley,and Red River.For beginners Red River is probably the best,although both Angel Fire and Taos have excellent ski schools.Taos usually has good snow,sometimes AF and RR get a bit iffy on the snow.Have fun in Lubbock.There is an Omnimax( I think that is the term) type theater in Lubbock if you have a couple of hours to do it,I think in the science museum on Loop 289.If you like a good steak try a place called Cagle's just outside the city limits.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:19 PM

O kee do kee. I think I saw that omniplex in my triple A book.- we love those things.. by the looks of it Lubbock has lots that we enjoy doing. Ironic about the steak suggestion. Just the other day my husband and I were saying that we still haven't tasted a real Texas steak. We just didn't know where to go and get one... Now we do! Hey, thanks so much. Good Night.

Old 07-30-2006, 06:06 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer8
O kee do kee. I think I saw that omniplex in my triple A book
Are you talking the trip planner books they will make for you???
I have AAA,I forgot about those

Last edited by Yac; 07-30-2006 at 01:34 PM..

Old 08-04-2007, 06:44 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times
Smile Hey, pioneer8, the answer is "yes"

I know it's a bit late for me to post this. I've been to Lubbock for road trips and I can say that hopefully you've had no problem settling in. It's got great sunsets to view to the west and good countryside scenery. And the city is about to experience its most growth ever. The city's west and south sides will offer the best places to get a new home. There is serious metro potential there with a few surrounding towns that could eventually become suburbs in the future. I'm not saying that Dallas and Houston are being brought in here, but you'll have some good big-city amenities in Lubbock, and there are several fantastic restaurants in town. They've also got 3 wineries on the outskirts of the city, plus some great caprock canyons to the southeast. My only real beef about the area is the lack of interstate highway connections (you've only got I-27 going up to Amarillo and that's it). But I hope that your experience in Lubbock has been a good one.

Just wanted to get my two cents in.

Old 08-04-2007, 10:05 AM

81 posts, read 332,580 times
Need to extend I-27 down through San Angelo to I-10 in Junction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock