Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:14 AM

130 posts, read 873,342 times

Advertisements

Wind, wind, and more wind. Did I mention wind??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 09:23 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,549 times
And the wind brings dust...

Old 03-25-2007, 12:26 PM

66 posts, read 369,117 times
Default Texas is the place to be

I agree with bellestaroftexas. West Texas is a wonderful place. I grew up in the Texas panhandle (close to Amarillo/Pampa) and had what I believe to be one of the best educations around. That is one thing that is great about Texas...their educational system. And family oriented...WOW! It is a great place to raise a family. The only reason I am not there now is I lived there for over 20 years and I just wanted to see different parts of the US.

The only draw back is it is very windy all the time and mostly dry. But, you get used to it. You can usually see the next town from about anywhere you are standing because there aren't a lot of trees!

Good luck with your decision. I think Texas is a great choice!

Old 03-25-2007, 02:50 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,525 times
I think, after being here 2 months, that Mr. Football is very accurate. I'd have to add that Lubbock isn't the most scenic of places. The southwest section is pretty nice. My favorite small city in TX is San Angelo, but I wanted a town with a good airport and a Barnes & Noble. Except for Austin most of Texas is fairly conservative.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:08 PM

5 posts, read 30,379 times
Thank you all for your replies, I am going to make some calls to the LISD and see what they are looking for as far as teachers go. Appreciate everything.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:37 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,732 times
Lubbock just had a tornato go through it. No one got hurt the news said.

That is good.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:32 PM

264 posts, read 1,184,369 times
I went to law school at Tech. When I was there, I wasn't so fond of Lubbock, but my opinion has changed. I had to go back to Lubbock for work a while ago and was dreading it. When I was in school, my favorite song was "Happiness is Lubbock Texas in my Rearview Mirror." After I spent a couple of days there, I looked at my co-worker (who graduated with me from Tech) and said, "WHY did we hate this place so much???" The people in Lubbock are the nicest I've ever encountered. Anywhere. Ever. They even make up for that nasty stench when the wind blows a certain way and the dust and mud (dust and rain mixed) storms.
I think you'll like it.
And by the way, the song mentioned above ends with the singer going back to Lubbock after searching for someplace better and not being able to find it.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:31 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Smile Living in Lubbock

My husband and I have lived in the Dallas area now for many years, but I was
born and raised in Lubbock, graduated from Texas Tech, etc. As far as I'm concerned, the only negative about Lubbock is those pesky dust storms in the Spring! However, I LOVE the low humidity there. In general, I see Lubbock as a friendly, yes, conservative town with relatively low crime, good medical care and many amenities for a town of its size. As far as it being described as a "cattle and ranch" town, I really don't see that. Yes, there is a lot of ranching and farming going on in the outskirts of Lubbock etc, etc. but to call it that kind of town seems really off the mark to me. Also, sorry, Amarillo, but to the lady who was considering moving to Amarillo/Pampa or Lubbock, I would urge you to reconsider Lubbock. I think most people consider Lubbock much more pleasant and "livable" than Amarillo. (I don't know about Pampa.)

Old 03-27-2007, 07:21 PM

66 posts, read 369,117 times
I think most people consider Lubbock much more pleasant and "livable" than Amarillo. (I don't know about Pampa.)

Why do you say that about Amarillo? What do you mean by "livable". I'm not offended, just curious. I haven't lived there in many years, but I still have family/friends in the area and they love it. I actually have friends who prefer it to Lubbock.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:58 PM

130 posts, read 873,342 times
Turnbun, if Lubbock people are the friendliest you have experienced, well then, all I can do is apologize. I actually got stopped by a policeman while in Lubbock while walking, and he told me Lubbock is not a good city to walk around in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock