U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM

64 posts, read 130,756 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
we're considering moving to Amarillo with my husband's gov't work. We're a one oncome family, one child...I'm a stay home mom....looking aty buying a house with acres for 3 dogs and 3 goats........my husband has a 30 mile radious rule at work...I need to be closer to my daughters functions (right now I have 40 minute drives each way!)
We want to know how dangerous it is, where are good neighborhoods, private schools, how are property taxes, sales taxes...anything that will afect our everyday life that you can think of.
I thank you for your time and information.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:54 PM

3,967 posts, read 7,264,575 times
I assume you mean Lubbock instead of Amarillo based on the thread title, right?

You will have no problem finding an affordable house with land near Lubbock. Depending on how big the house and how much land, you can expect to pay anywhere from 200-750K. The best areas are south and west of town. If you are going to be out in the country (or anywhere besides eastern Lubbock), it will be very safe. I live in south Lubbock, and I have never been a victim of any crime. You can leave the door unlocked and not have to worry about it being broken into. The property taxes are cheap by Texas standards, but expensive by the rest of the country's standards. The lowest taxes would be outside of Lubbock county in counties like Lynn or Hockley. The private schools in the area are all Christian (if that's a big deal to you). They are Trinity, Lubbock Christian, All Saints, and Christ the King. Their elementary programs are very good, but their secondary programs aren't. For middle school, I would suggest Hutchinson, and for high school Lubbock High. They have magnet programs, so they accept out of district transfers. Good luck with your move and hope this helps!
BTW, where are you coming from?

Old 03-27-2009, 04:32 AM

50,625 posts, read 40,782,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella14 View Post
Hello all,
we're considering moving to Amarillo with my husband's gov't work. We're a one income family, one child...I'm a stay home mom....looking aty buying a house with acres for 3 dogs and 3 goats........my husband has a 30 mile radious rule at work...I need to be closer to my daughters functions (right now I have 40 minute drives each way!)
We want to know how dangerous it is, where are good neighborhoods, private schools, how are property taxes, sales taxes...anything that will afect our everyday life that you can think of.
I thank you for your time and information.

You won't have any trouble there at all if I knew specifically what you are asking. You say in your post that you are moving to Amarillo, yet your title says Lubbock. Can you clarify for us which one you're looking for so we can better help??

Old 03-28-2009, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 10,751 times
I would like to jump in on this forum, so to speak.

I am currently splitting my time between Yukon, OK (OKC area) and Weatherford, OK (west of OKC). Currently a sophomore at Southwestern Oklahoma State University and a mathematics major, I am already looking at graduate schools. Five areas come to mind: Lubbock (Texas Tech), Austin (U. of Texas at Austin), Bryan-College Station (Texas A&M), St. Louis (Wash U in St. Louis) and Albuquerque (U. of New Mexico). Now, you're probably wondering: Why is he bringing four other cities into this? The reason is: I am looking to apply for a National Science Foundation Fellowship in mathematics and get out of Oklahoma, probably for life.

My question(s) is/are:
1. In the event that I get this fellowship ($40 500/year), where would said dollar amount go the furthest distance, of these five cities? (I will be looking for an apartment, not a house.)
2. How does the crime rate compare among the cities?
3. Which has the best traffic situation for the next several years?
4. Which is the best economically for both the short- and long-term?
5. If Lubbock is the best answer for questions (1)-(4), can you show me some proof?

Greatly appreciated.

Old 03-28-2009, 03:13 PM

3,967 posts, read 7,264,575 times
There is another section of this site that gives statistics for almost every city in the country. My own research has given me these answers:
1) Lubbock has the lowest cost of living out of all of these cities. It has a cost of living index of 80.1, with 100 being the US average. All of the other cities have low costs of living also.
2) The cities' overall crime rates, in order from least to greatest, are College Station, Austin, Lubbock, Albuquerque, then St. Louis (which has the highest crime rate in the nation I believe). I know from personal experience that Lubbock is a safe city and that almost all of the crime is contained within the East and Northeast sections of town. I have never been a victim of a crime, and I leave my door unlocked when I go out for a short time.
3) I am not very familiar with College Station, but it most likely is the same as Lubbock for traffic. It only takes 15 minutes to drive across Lubbock, and its roads are organized and well maintained. The other cities are much larger, so there will be much more traffic. Austin has horrible traffic even for its size because it was not planned very well due to it growing so rapidly in recent years.
4) I can confidently say Lubbock has the best economy out of the cities on your list. It has the second best housing market in the nation, it was rated as the eleventh best place to ride out the recession, and it has an unemployment rate of just above 4%, much lower than the national average. Its economy is very stable because its main industries are college education, healthcare, and agriculture, which are almost always stable. I cannot find the links for these right now, but I will post them as soon as I find them.
5) You can get a lot of this information at the other part of this site. Here it is.
//www.city-data.com/

Old 07-11-2009, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,947 times
Westerner92, your posts have been extremely helpful, now that I am looking to move to Lubbock. I appreciate all the information you've passed on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock