U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:32 AM

849 posts, read 1,864,438 times

Advertisements

My husband got a job in Lubbock. He will be there in two weeks and the family will follow this Summer. Two of the kids are graduating this Summer and one is a freshman in high school. Any certain area we should be looking at or to avoid for housing? I think we will rent for a while before we decide on buying a house. Also, my daughter has a horse. Do you know of any stalble where we can bord the horse? Nothing fancy, just clean and reasonable. She rides Western, if that makes any difference. Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 AM

5,404 posts, read 11,687,458 times
Gosh. I"ve been trying to get back to Lubbock for a while now. I just had a phone interview with Tech but.....no go on the job offer. I'm so frustrated.

SW side of town is where most of the growth is....That is where I would look to rent or buy. Where will your husband be working? That could be a determining factor as to where you live, although there isn't really any "traffic" in the sense that there is in many other places. Horses are pretty easy to keep. I can't recommend specific places, but if you ever decide to buy a house with a bit of land, you only need to drive out of town to find it.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:33 AM

849 posts, read 1,864,438 times
Thank you, eventually we would like to get a horse property, but while deciding, I thought we would bord the horse with a stable. I'm glad to hear you like Lubock. We have lived in Phoenix AZ for over 25 years, so we are used to dry heat. It'll be nice to get out of the traffic, though.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,206,565 times
The most glowing recommendation I can give for my hometown is that you are going to love the people. Oh, and the lack of traffic

The southwest and northwest sides of the city are the newest and generally cleanest, while the east side is the more impoverished area.

Good luck, and welcome to Texas

Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 AM

5,404 posts, read 11,687,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
Thank you, eventually we would like to get a horse property, but while deciding, I thought we would bord the horse with a stable. I'm glad to hear you like Lubock. We have lived in Phoenix AZ for over 25 years, so we are used to dry heat. It'll be nice to get out of the traffic, though.
I lived in Phoenix years ago...many moons ago. Too crowded for me. I need breathing room. You'll love Lubbock.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:39 AM

4,720 posts, read 8,015,460 times
First of all, welcome to Lubbock! As was said before, the southwest and northwest parts of town are the newest, but there are some nice neighborhoods like Tech Terrace and Rush in central Lubbock. (In fact, I believe you are allowed to keep horses in a stable in Rush.) I dont know of any stables specifically, but finding stables should not be hard at all. As far as high schools for your daughter, Lubbock High has one of the best magnet programs in the state, and Coronado, Frenship, and Cooper are good also.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:52 PM

100 posts, read 429,873 times
You'll love it till it gets WIIIIIINDDDYYYY!!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:06 PM

4,720 posts, read 8,015,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvalle_mayne View Post
You'll love it till it gets WIIIIIINDDDYYYY!!!!
This spring has been very windy. I'll take windy over stifling humidity anyday. Just to let you know nikkzone, we do have an occasional dust storm in spring, but from some of the videos I've seen of dust storms in Phoenix, it's not near as bad.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:23 AM

100 posts, read 429,873 times
Yeah, its the worst when you wake up and see a brown sky lol. Its all good though, nice place to be.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Status: "A doctor one day keeps the apple away." (set 8 days ago)

51,359 posts, read 44,711,029 times
Default A Few Things

Here are some links for you to help you get acclimated with Lubbock.

The Downtown Lubbock Depot District (http://interoz.com/lubbock/depodist.htm - broken link)

Lubbock Magazine - Fine Living on the Llano Estacado

Lubbock TX News, Sports, Business, Red Raiders and Lubbock area events from the Avalanche Journal - Lubbock Online

Official City Website for Lubbock, Texas

TxDOT's Lubbock District ITS Center

Come on in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock