Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 16,478 times

Advertisements

My husband will be starting his PhD at Tech in August and I am trying to find a suitable apartment. We are from Nashville, TN so Lubbock is a lower cost of living and I am finding several apartments within our price range. The trouble I am having is determining what apartments are in a not so nice area or maye look better than they are. Can anyone point out the best or worse areas in Lubbock?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
First of all, welcome to Lubbock in advance, and I hope you enjoy it. As a general rule stay west of University Avenue. The newest parts of town are the SW and NW parts of town. Other than that, I can't think of anything else. Good luck with your move.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:00 PM

52,681 posts, read 47,932,189 times
I echo Westerner on this. Plus, the city does have new complexes going up, as well. You might be able to get a pretty good deal.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:40 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I echo Westerner on this. Plus, the city does have new complexes going up, as well. You might be able to get a pretty good deal.
What's the situation on Condos/Townhouses in the Lubbock area ? Are there any at all, either for sale or lease ?
And secondly, what's the driving distance to the nearest mountain ranges in the area which I presume would be someplace in NM ?

Old 05-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
What's the situation on Condos/Townhouses in the Lubbock area ? Are there any at all, either for sale or lease ?
And secondly, what's the driving distance to the nearest mountain ranges in the area which I presume would be someplace in NM ?
There isn't much in the way of townhomes or condos in Lubbock right now, but it is a growing market, and there are some being built right now. There are quite a few townhomes and condos in the Overton Park redevelopment, but most of those will be occupied by college students. The old Pioneer Hotel is being redone into condos downtown, and the downtown revitalization plans call for new condos and townhouses.
Lubbock - Downtown - Information, Presentations, & Scenarios
The Vintage Township in South Lubbock is part of the "new urbanist" movement, and there are some condos and townhomes that are planned to be built also. (Go to "Discover Vintage" and click on "Town Plan". You will see that they are building townhomes and condos in the northeast and northwest town centers.)
New Homes Lubbock Texas | Homes in Lubbock | Lubbock Real Estate (http://www.vintagetownship.com/home.asp - broken link)

Lubbock is about 4 hours from Ruidoso and Cloudcroft in the Sacramento Mountains in New Mexico.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:24 AM

702 posts, read 2,722,310 times
The Centre and The Suites are good. You should also look into renting a house in Tech Terrace... I miss my house! (graduated from Tech in December)

Old 10-31-2009, 01:05 PM

65 posts, read 128,540 times
The area around Martin Luther King Jr. BLVD, is considered the more ghetto and dangerous area. All stores around there have barred windows for security. And I agree about the area around University. I live around 34th and Frankford in the 2 bd duplexes, that are big size and only $450 a month. Its a very good area around there.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 16,874 times
I just moved from Portland OR to accept a new position at Texas Tech. I want to rent a house but am not sure the best way to find one in Lubbock. I've checked many of the local property management companies websites but there are very few listings and so far haven't found anything I like. Is this just a bad time of the year to be looking (early November)? What's the best way to find a rental house? Coming from the West Coast, price certainly hasn't been an issue here, it's more amenities (fenced yard and garage), location, and safety.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:44 PM

It might just be the time of year, because normally there are many homes being leased just because of all the students. Your chances of finding a suitable house after this semester ends might be better. Finding a house with a fence, garage, and safe location shouldn't be too difficult. One problem might be that many of the homes are for lease by owner and thus not being advirtised. I guess you could always find a neighborhood you like and look for lease signs. Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:57 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,346 times
I recently moved here from Kentucky and quickly found an apt . look on Lubbockapts.com and as others have said here stay west of university and you'll be fine.Welcome to Lubbock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock