U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,393 times

Advertisements

Hi folks!

Would really appreciate some advice from musicians in the know. I live in the NorthEast but I'm considering a move to Lubbock. I'm 57 yrs old and have played electric bass guitar my entire life. I don't s*ck, I can sing and I own great gear. I currently play with a 6-pc old-school R&B band that plays festivals and corporate events here on the east cost and also I play every week with a classic rock/modern country band with a hot female lead singer. (Think Sugarland crossed with Heart.)

Question: any chance this old fart will be able to land a gig in Lubbock? I'm solid, attitude-free and love everything from traditional blues to Green Day. I look younger than I am and have hair half-way to my butt. (Yeah, OK, some grey. )

So... What's the club scene like? I live in a college town now and have no problem mixing it up with a younger audience, but... as a big-city boy I have the (hopefully erroneous) impression that outside NY and LA and a few other choice spots, EVERYBODY wants to listen to Merle Haggard and Waylon Jennings -- even the college kids. LOL!

Please tell me I'll be able to find a band when I get there.!

THANKS!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 09:24 PM

3,884 posts, read 7,198,109 times
I say come on down! I have heard many non-locals say we have a pretty good music scene for a city our size, and it sounds like you would make it even better. There is a notable amount of bars and clubs being that this is a college town. Many of them are in a section of downtown called the Depot District, which is growing steadily. The nightlife is kind of slow, but it should get much better as the downtown is revitalized and Tech grows. There is a music festival which seems to be getting more popular. During the summer months, there are free concerts every Wednesday and Thursday at the courthouse and Buddy Holly Center respectively. The largest free festival in Texas is the Independence Day parade, and this year there are going to be ten stages. This is just to give you an idea of some of the gigs that you could get here.
Lubbock is not the place to go if you want to make it big, but it does have a relaxed music scene that you may or may not like. I would just suggest visiting to see how you like it. Good luck with your decision.
P.S. Maybe I translated the third paragraph wrong, but the younger generation is not into the old-timey country if that's what you're afraid of. Some of the older people like it, but from my experience, there are more who prefer the more modern country.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,393 times
Thanks! I appreciate the info. I'm really hoping to hear from some working musicians. So if anybody out there has inside info?

Old 07-02-2009, 02:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 23,043,093 times
bbrix: I'm a lifelong electric bassist (& tubist) in the DFW area, and the music business is pretty awful here. Maybe I should move to Lubbock myself! I've been playing jazz and classic rock since 1964 (I'll be 63 on 5 July). BTW, I started playing fretless bass in 1971.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 PM

13,266 posts, read 18,093,011 times
I'm about 30 miles out of Lubbock but am not, nor have I ever been, a working musician. However, I just happened to be playing some Haggard tunes tonight on my Martin when I saw your thread. Come on down, welcome to the area and best of luck with your music.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:26 AM

544 posts, read 1,347,533 times
Hi: I'm a musician and music teacher in Lubbock (violin/fiddle, piano/keyboards, viola, guitar). There is lots of music here in Lubbock, classical and pop and country. There are five orchestras: the Lubbock Symphony, the Tech Symphony, and three youth symphonies. Lots of music in the churches, and we're 20 minutes from South Plains College which has one of the few Associates degrees in country/popular music.

SPC has students of all ages from all over the planet.

Write me privately if you'd like a link to my studio page. (Hope I won't get into trouble here). There are also a couple great guitar studios (I only teach beginner classical guitar, on the guitar piece of my studio). But music is pretty prominent in the nightclubs and restaurants, and there are a couple of first class recording studios here, as well.

I love Lubbock: no traffic, people are nice, weather is mild, tornadoes are really the only concern, money is good, growth is good, Texas Tech is a great school, and cost of living is like, zero....

Old 07-29-2009, 12:02 PM

5,380 posts, read 11,255,777 times
A good friend of mine is a musician in Amarillo and his band regularly has gigs in Lubbock. I say go for it.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:24 PM

13 posts, read 18,276 times
Anybody, just anybody that enjoys Country Western should go to Meadow Texas. Just a few miles south. The second Saturday of every month for close to 40 years they have a stage that musicians come from as far as New Mexico. It is free, you have stage time and can meet other musicians from the area. Best intro I can give you. The entrance fee to listen is free and usually has about 150/200 in attendance.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:00 AM

21 posts, read 26,493 times
So most of the people in Lubbock listen to country? I guess its all fine and dandy though I rather hear other stuff besides songs about love and drinking . Hows the alternative rock scene down there?

Old 06-17-2012, 12:27 AM

3,884 posts, read 7,198,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marathonerdude View Post
So most of the people in Lubbock listen to country? I guess its all fine and dandy though I rather hear other stuff besides songs about love and drinking . Hows the alternative rock scene down there?
The popularity of country seems to be fading in the younger generation, but that might have just been the crowd I hung out with. Still, country is a predominant influence in most of the live music there. The alt/rock scene is perhaps a bit better than you would find in other cities of the same size just because of the college presence, so if you're coming from some place larger, you'll find it lacking. Prairie Fire is the new/only venue that exists for that scene, and Jake's occasionally brings in acts (the ones they bring in tend to be the hardcore/whiny stuff).

If you're willing to travel and make a weekend of a concert, you'll find yourself traveling to Austin (top-notch scene), Dallas, and maybe San Antonio. You'll be hard-pressed to find a band that doesn't make a stop in one of these cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock