U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
17,105 posts, read 36,330,907 times
Reputation: 14426

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
One can argue if this is a good or bad hire....& if AG was a good or bad public servant. & these would definitely be Political & National arguments.

But if it's Texas Tax dollars paying for his salary, wouldn't it be proper to discuss it on a Texas forum?
The thread is open, isn't it? The fact that he's getting a new job in Texas is why this turn of events is on-topic.

You can address both of those areas you cited in the first paragraph in very general ways to make your point. By all means, express your opinion on whether this is a good use or bad use of Texas taxpayer dollars! I love to see thoughtful discussions on Texas politics here.

My only limitation is that we can't get into the details of what Mr. G and the administration he worked for did or didn't do while he was in Washington. That will take the thread in a direction that is off topic here.

Hint: You might find it easiest to stay on topic by reacting to specific details in that news release I linked.

Last edited by Bo; 08-28-2009 at 01:34 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
1,305 posts, read 3,350,413 times
Reputation: 1190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
My only limitation is that we can't get into the details of what Mr. G and the administration he worked for did or didn't do while he was in Washington. That will take the thread in a direction that is off topic here.
Yet, in addressing AG's character, and in addressing the reasons people would have for opposing his position at the university, it's pretty much impossible to not get into details of his time in the Attorney General's office.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 02:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
17,105 posts, read 36,330,907 times
Reputation: 14426
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
Yet, in addressing AG's character, and in addressing the reasons people would have for opposing his position at the university, it's pretty much impossible to not get into details of his time in the Attorney General's office.
So start a thread in P&OC and post a link back to it in this one. We're not discussing national politics here. If the OP asks (via DM), I'll be glad to move this thread to P&OC.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
17,593 posts, read 23,510,758 times
Reputation: 9954
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
John Yoo was hired at Cal-Berkeley in 1993 he probably already had tenure. His hiring was based on the many works that he published in his specialty. Cal sometimes hires people from both the far right and far left, to get a diversity of opinion. The only time Cal-Berkeley and Texas Tech should ever be mentioned in the same sentence is when one is presenting data along the lines of " From the best to the worst universities...

By the way the reason Cal outranks Harvard among the percentage of high school students that were in the top 10% of their class, is because having "pull" doesn't usually help getting into Cal as opposed to Harvard. One just has to be smart. The same with professors, Yoo might be nasty- I really don't know but he certainly was smart. Can we say the same about Gonzales... or Bush?
But they got rid of Yoo, as did the Philadelphi Inquirer
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Denver
4,720 posts, read 8,015,460 times
Reputation: 5957
Most people in Lubbock aren't too happy about this. I really don't see him lasting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2009, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Rockport Texas from El Paso
2,601 posts, read 8,179,228 times
Reputation: 1603
Westerner how do you know people in Lubbock are unhappy about this? Maybe I should give them more credit...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Denver
4,720 posts, read 8,015,460 times
Reputation: 5957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Westerner how do you know people in Lubbock are unhappy about this? Maybe I should give them more credit...
Maybe I know because I live here and have talked about it with many other people? Just because the people are, in general, conservative, doesn't mean they're blind to another conservative's bad reputation. There is a libertarian streak here where people tend to distrust well-known politicians of any political leaning. They don't like very controversial figures. They're still just trying to warm up to Bob Knight, but it's hard warming up to someone who is such a jerk. (I've met him, and I know!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Abilene, Texas
8,745 posts, read 8,601,402 times
Reputation: 55895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Maybe I know because I live here and have talked about it with many other people? Just because the people are, in general, conservative, doesn't mean they're blind to another conservative's bad reputation. There is a libertarian streak here where people tend to distrust well-known politicians of any political leaning. They don't like very controversial figures. They're still just trying to warm up to Bob Knight, but it's hard warming up to someone who is such a jerk. (I've met him, and I know!)
I'm a Tech alumnus and I think it's a bad idea to bring Gonzales in. He is indeed a controversial figure and IMO it doesn't matter whether he's guilty or innocent of the things he's been accused of, the university doesn't need the negative attention that comes with all this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2009, 06:22 PM
 
1,148 posts, read 2,613,839 times
Reputation: 635
Notice slick Rick didnt use his influence to get him a gig at A&M and embarrass his alma mater. Poor Tech always gets the short end of the stick.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 AM
 
Location: by DFW Airport
5 posts, read 8,066 times
Reputation: 12
I thought Tech already had a basketball coach....

A&M '83
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top