U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 02:01 PM

161 posts, read 612,392 times

Advertisements

I am looking at several different cities to relocate, one of which is Lubbock.

I know Lubbock has Texas Tech, but would you consider the city to be a "college town"? Or is the university simply one part of the city, but does not define it? I have lived in two true college towns before, Bloomington, Indaina, and Iowa City, IA. I didn't mind the students, but hated how EVERYTHING revolved around the colleges, and if you were not a student, graduate, faculty member, or somehow affiliated, you were an outsider. But I have also lived in a city with a fairly large university, Springfield, Missouri which has Missouri State (20,000 students) but you would never call it a college town. It was just one aspect of the city that you could be a part of or not.

Also, while I'm here, I should ask one other question. I have never lived anywhere with a Hispanic population over 10%, and I know Lubbock's percentage is higher, although nothing like extreme south Texas. Do most employers in Lubbock who serve the public (retail, restaurants, hotels etc...) expect workers to be fluent in Spanish in order to serve their customers. I don't, and just wondered if this would be an issue.

Thank you for your insight!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 02:57 PM

4,721 posts, read 7,998,762 times
Lubbock is not a college town in that you would be an outsider if you didn't work at Tech, but it's a fairly significant part of the town. Tech is the main reason Lubbock is not just another small town. It helped make Lubbock a center of commerce, and now more people work in healthcare and other services. I would say it's a little more of a college town than Springfield. However, most of the people I know aren't directly involved with Tech.

Lubbock as you know is about 30% Hispanic, and about half of the Hispanic population speaks Spanish, and almost all of that population speaks English as well. All of that is to say that it might make you more appealing to employers, but you don't need to know it.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:46 PM

317 posts, read 732,772 times
I grew up in Lubbock, and while I currently live in South Florida with my husband and children, we visit Lubbock at least 4 times a year. Personally, I don't think it is a college town. There is a section of town that does revolve around Tech, but the majority of the city does not. I went to the University of Florida and I feel like that is a true college town - everything revolves around UF and the Gators. We have visited since with our daughters and I could never imagine living there with my family. I don't feel the same way about Lubbock.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:09 PM

30 posts, read 61,702 times
Not everything here revolves around Tech... neither DH nor I went to school there and I've never felt like that mattered at all. However, I do enjoy what Tech provides for the community.

You don't need Spanish to move here.

Lubbock is a great place! Good luck with your decision!

Old 12-20-2009, 02:29 PM

51,319 posts, read 44,609,312 times
Oh, it's a city with a university, alright. Just enough big-city amenities and beautiful sunsets and sunrises. The perfect combination of large and small. Now is definitely the perfect time to settle in in West Texas. And it's changing all the time, too.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:00 PM

15,988 posts, read 33,592,238 times
Texas College Towns:
Austin - It's big, but UT plays a HUGE role in the upbringing and success of Austin.
College Station - No explanation needed
Denton
San Marcos

Cities like Lubbock, Huntsville, Waco, and more have major universities, but they don't overshadow the cities themselves.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:28 PM

1,803 posts, read 4,098,979 times
U could say huntsville is a college town the besides prisions, Sam Houston statue its the university and thats it. It reminds of San Marcos without the hills and spectaular views.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 24,033,995 times
Lubbock is too large to be a 'college town', although of course the college has an effect on it. Denton used to be more of a college town than it is now, since it's grown so much.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:19 PM

8,030 posts, read 8,557,147 times
Lubbock is underrated. I think it might boom later once discovered.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:51 PM

189 posts, read 605,551 times
I grew up in Lubbock, but didn't go to Tech or plan to go to Tech.... and no one there held it against me. I love Tech, but wanted to get away from the parents and went to a private college. Also.... there are a lot of people there who support Tech and like to go to the games or musicals, but it's not something they expect everyone to do or support. Unlike College Station, not 75% of the buildings will be painted red and black and the athletic stores will have more than just Texas Tech items. It doesn't have a cult type feel to the town like College Station. (My dad grew up there so I visited my grandparents every year, so I know what I'm talking about.) Also.... no, you don't have to know Spanish to work there. I was a public school teacher there and can only speak about 10 words of Spanish and that never was an issue.... although it would've been helpful at times. Lubbock is a great town to live in! The weather there is something I miss (I'm in super hot/humid East Texas, with warm winters.) Good luck in your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock