U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:14 PM

588 posts, read 2,738,799 times

Advertisements

WARNING - Zombie thread. And a pretty worthless reply to bring it back from the dead.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 04:27 PM

4,721 posts, read 8,005,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
WARNING - Zombie thread. And a pretty worthless reply to bring it back from the dead.
Wow... I am shocked too at the ignorance on this thread. Too bad I wasn't a member back then. I have posted this on other threads that Lubbock is actually very diverse for a city its size, and racial tensions are low. Out of 21 houses on my block, 3 are Hispanic, one Filipino, one black, and one Greek/Hispanic family. I personally can name five ethnicities of my five best friends. There are over 90 nations represented here. Yeah, Lubbock is totally backwards hick town.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Status: "HEB Frisco, TX, opens Wednesday!" (set 6 hours ago)

51,329 posts, read 44,654,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trawg30 View Post
No fortune 500 companies. Cut throat. If you are trying to advance in a town like this. You better have your credentials already or have a business in progress because thier is not any growth nor do some white americans and black americans do not want to see you suceed. This is the south. Not hillbillys but grand wizard history attitude. Especially in the work force. You dig. Not first choice. Dallas yes. Its a world city. Ya know.....
Leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Wow... I am shocked too at the ignorance on this thread. Too bad I wasn't a member back then. I have posted this on other threads that Lubbock is actually very diverse for a city its size, and racial tensions are low. Out of 21 houses on my block, 3 are Hispanic, one Filipino, one black, and one Greek/Hispanic family. I personally can name five ethnicities of my five best friends. There are over 90 nations represented here. Yeah, Lubbock is totally backwards hick town.
It's a two-year-old thread, but Lubbock and Texas have come a long way in diversity. I think you just solved that question, Westerner.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:29 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,614,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi24 View Post
Tech Football team has sucked for several years until recently...
Uhhh--the ONLY football team in the big 12 conference to not have a losing season since its inception is Texas Tech. Also, many celebrities have been to Lubbock.

I won't bother with your reference to a certain fascist dictator.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi24 View Post
I am Hispanic and lubbock has alot of racism it is all under the table. Hispanics and Blacks are being controlled and munipulated. There is hidden hate groups. No one speaks up because of real retribution. Most racial law suits or complaints are never showed on television and swept under the rug. Blacks and hispanics are segregated. There is only two Hispanics and no Blacks in the news channels. Two Black coaches were racially profiled and arrested for no reason. Sororities have been known to have parties dressing up in racially stereotypical garments. No Anglo native or visitor is going to complain about this city. It is a suppose to be a conservative city. Excluding minorities the only god they pray to is hitler. If you are A Minority do not go to any church south of 34th st. Freinds and relatives have been discrimanated by Tech college professors as students and by upper Anglo management as employees.Real Celebrities seem to stay away from this city too.Tech Football team has sucked for several years until recently because talented Black players are intimidated by the segregation and racism yet the news fails to mention this.
..................................:rolleyes :

Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 PM

45 posts, read 124,064 times
Oh my goodness! Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed!

Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,448 times
I am a black and indian female who is currently married to awhite male and we have two beautiful children. He's from Texas and wants to move back and i've been considering Lubbock as a good place to call home but because of all the racist remarks i've heard here I just wanted to know if Lubbock is predominantly racist

Old 10-05-2009, 10:19 AM

437 posts, read 870,273 times
Please, feel free to come to Lubbock! I don't begin to understand some of the comments made on this particular thread. I have lots of friends of various races who live or have lived there and I've never heard a complaint. A few years back, a group of Hurricane Katrina evacuees were brought to Lubbock(predominantly African-American), and commented on how welcoming and un-biased the people of Lubbock were.
Also, I read recently that Hispanics now outnumber Causcasians in the Lubbock Independent Schoool District. Lubbock has one African-American and one Hispanic City Coucilman, Hispanic judges, and a Hispanic City Attorney.
The Universities bring a lot of diversity to the community. So, please don't be turned off by this thread. Visit Lubbock and check it out for yourself!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffy21 View Post
I am a black and indian female who is currently married to awhite male and we have two beautiful children. He's from Texas and wants to move back and i've been considering Lubbock as a good place to call home but because of all the racist remarks i've heard here I just wanted to know if Lubbock is predominantly racist
The replies on this thread are so far off. Lubbock is about 30% Hispanic, 10% Black, and around 4% Asian (the 2000 census says 1.5%, but the Asian population has grown a lot the past few years). Of the 21 houses on my block in south Lubbock, there are three Hispanic families, one Black family, one Filipino family, and one Greek/Hispanic family. I have quite a few friends who are mixed race. There are over 90 nationalities represented here. Just out of curiosity, when you say Indian, do you mean South Asian or Native American? There is a large community of a few thousand South Asians in Lubbock.

Last edited by Westerner92; 10-05-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,720 times
you will experience racism in lubbock if you are not white. it maynot be cross burnings, lynchings or dragging deaths (like in jasper,tx), but in comes in the form of "invisible man treatment" or the "if your not white, we're not polite." or police harassment. you'll know what i'm talking about if you've met a racist.this is a city that ened alcohol prohibition in 2009. alot of people there think that japan is a city in china and that south america is a part of mexico. interracial couples or people are hated the worst. its very rare that a white person there will even make eye contact with different person. i lived there for years, anyone who says different is probably a white person that thinks that because they don't see or experience racism and they aren't racist, that it doesn't exsist. go there, you'll see. to most of the so called christians in the bible belt/std capital of america, you have to be white to be american or sometimes even considered a human. its a city mostly full of biggots that don't realized there's a whole world outside the loop.

Last edited by zombiefodder; 12-14-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: