Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,693 times

Advertisements

I would love input from anyone that has had or does have a child attending either Monterey High School or Coronado High School and has experience with the other. We are trying to decide which one would be best academically for our daughter who will be a sophmore next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:47 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roentgen View Post
I would love input from anyone that has had or does have a child attending either Monterey High School or Coronado High School and has experience with the other. We are trying to decide which one would be best academically for our daughter who will be a sophmore next year.
Of those two, Coronado is the better school, but I can tell you with full confidence that Lubbock High is BY FAR the best high school in Lubbock, if not the best in Texas outside the major four metros. It is located in a lower income neighborhood, but it has one of the best magnet programs out there. It has a very successful International Baccalaureate program, at one time having the most students receiving an IB diploma of any high school in North America. Mind you, the IB diploma is widely considered to be one of the most prestigious high school diplomas in the world. It is annually ranked in Newsweek's top high schools list. It excells in academic, musical and theatrical competitions every year. The Academic Decathlon team placed 3rd in the national competition recently and it has the only mariachi program in the area. On average, it has 5-15 National Merit Finalists every year. Only 0.5% of juniors nationwide receive that award, but 1-3% of Lubbock High juniors receive it (that's 2-6X the national average). Monterey is a decent school, Coronado is better, but I can't recommend Lubbock High enough.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:23 AM

588 posts, read 2,828,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Monterey is a decent school, Coronado is better, but I can't recommend Lubbock High enough.
Time for full disclosure: Uhh, "Westerner", at which of these schools are you a student?

That out of the way, as a long-ago Monterey grad I have to concur that Lubbock High academics are head and shoulders above anything else in Lubbock. Now, athletics, that's another matter....

Old 02-03-2010, 01:59 PM

189 posts, read 628,700 times
I too am a graduate of Monterey. Although part of my soph. year I went to Lubbock High and loved it. Hated it when my parents made me transfer to Monterey. I would suggest trying out Lubbock High.... way better academically!

On a side note.... Westerner92, did you graduate from Lubbock High in '92? (Is that what your name stands for?)

Old 02-03-2010, 04:55 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,572,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Time for full disclosure: Uhh, "Westerner", at which of these schools are you a student?

That out of the way, as a long-ago Monterey grad I have to concur that Lubbock High academics are head and shoulders above anything else in Lubbock. Now, athletics, that's another matter....
Now now, Lubbock High may have the worst football program in the state, but it holds its own in most sports, not that it really matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
View detailed profiles of: