U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:04 AM

51,338 posts, read 44,660,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpuccio View Post
I am considering a move to Lubbock in order to be closer to my son/grandson in Hobbs, NM. I will be moving from Florida. Is this a sane move??!!! I need good health care for my elderly mother and special schooling for my 15y/o with ADHD and Aspergers. Also need some water where we can actually swim!!! I'm so very ready for change but am a bit apprehensive as to such a major change!!!! Any advice/input would be so greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!!

They'll have great medical care, and the amount of facilities is actually expanding. Lubbock has the largest network between Dallas and Albuquerque, so there's no shortage. As for swimming pools, um, well, unless you move into a house with a swimming pool, the best hope is at a neighborhood park. Westerner may have an idea or two. The city had had some concerns not too long ago regarding water and its sources to keep up with supply, but don't get in a panic about it. It will get taken care of. You'll have a great place to live that is just 90 minutes from Hobbs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 01:33 PM

437 posts, read 870,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpuccio View Post
I am considering a move to Lubbock in order to be closer to my son/grandson in Hobbs, NM. I will be moving from Florida. Is this a sane move??!!! I need good health care for my elderly mother and special schooling for my 15y/o with ADHD and Aspergers. Also need some water where we can actually swim!!! I'm so very ready for change but am a bit apprehensive as to such a major change!!!! Any advice/input would be so greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so much!!!
BodyWorks Aquatic Center offers year-round swimming and an indoor water park. Also, Texas Water Rampage is a seasonal waterpark, and there are numerous neighborhood pools around the city. Hope you will visit Lubbock and see if it's a good fit for you and your family!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:13 PM

295 posts, read 1,136,979 times
I swear, the more that I read about Lubbock, the more I can't wait to get there next summer!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 AM

4,242 posts, read 3,307,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
They'll have great medical care, and the amount of facilities is actually expanding. Lubbock has the largest network between Dallas and Albuquerque, so there's no shortage. As for swimming pools, um, well, unless you move into a house with a swimming pool, the best hope is at a neighborhood park. Westerner may have an idea or two. The city had had some concerns not too long ago regarding water and its sources to keep up with supply, but don't get in a panic about it. It will get taken care of. You'll have a great place to live that is just 90 minutes from Hobbs.

Case, if you keep this up, I'll end up moving there!

So be careful.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 AM

5,404 posts, read 11,680,915 times
Yes, Lubbock. I get jealous of all these people who are moving to Lubbock. I'm trying to get back there before everyone else discovers it!!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:15 AM

8,672 posts, read 21,575,883 times
Thumbs up Yay, Lubbock!

Born and raised in Lubbock...so I'm biased. We've been in the Dallas area for over 20 years and roots are deep now...but....sigh...I really would like to be back in Lubbock. Don't see it ever happening, but that would be my preference.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM

295 posts, read 1,136,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Yes, Lubbock. I get jealous of all these people who are moving to Lubbock. I'm trying to get back there before everyone else discovers it!!

If everything works to my favor then June 2010 we will be on our way!

Old 09-09-2009, 11:33 AM

5,404 posts, read 11,680,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post
If everything works to my favor then June 2010 we will be on our way!
Good deal! I'm still working on getting back to God's country, although the only job offers I'm getting are for the big city (San Antone, Arlington, etc). *sigh*

Old 09-10-2009, 11:08 AM

79 posts, read 194,146 times
with all the constant raising of fees on the homeowners of Lubbock, I will be shortly finding a way out of this town. People want Lubbock to mirror Dallas or Austin but have no desire to pay the wages for living in a city like those. Lubbock is a low wage town run by a very few individuals who try to control everything. They use TIF funding like it's their personal piggybanks and use property tax money to fund personal pet projects. I have lived here for 28 years and always enjoyed it up until the past 3 or 4 years when all of the above became obvious. As for water, I wouldn't count on it lasting all that long really. The statistics for Lake Alan Henry, which was really built so the wealthy could have lake front homes and that is a fact, is that the lake can only hold enough water to supply Lubbock's needs for little over a year at projected pumping rate requirements vs. inflow. One former council member looked into all this after I had made these stats known to him. He found that there was never any real intent to pump water from the lake. He said the tangle of ownership and total lack of management astonished him. I wouldn't move here for any reason other than schooling at Tech then get on out before it costs you a fortune to live here. Used to be a great town, not so much now.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:21 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,383,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltec View Post
with all the constant raising of fees on the homeowners of Lubbock, I will be shortly finding a way out of this town. People want Lubbock to mirror Dallas or Austin but have no desire to pay the wages for living in a city like those. Lubbock is a low wage town run by a very few individuals who try to control everything. They use TIF funding like it's their personal piggybanks and use property tax money to fund personal pet projects. I have lived here for 28 years and always enjoyed it up until the past 3 or 4 years when all of the above became obvious. As for water, I wouldn't count on it lasting all that long really. The statistics for Lake Alan Henry, which was really built so the wealthy could have lake front homes and that is a fact, is that the lake can only hold enough water to supply Lubbock's needs for little over a year at projected pumping rate requirements vs. inflow. One former council member looked into all this after I had made these stats known to him. He found that there was never any real intent to pump water from the lake. He said the tangle of ownership and total lack of management astonished him. I wouldn't move here for any reason other than schooling at Tech then get on out before it costs you a fortune to live here. Used to be a great town, not so much now.

The place is dominated by Republicans. What would you expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock