U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:13 AM

8,672 posts, read 21,574,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Speaking of things long ago and far away, does anyone here remember the student underground newspaper, The Catalyst? It was published in the early 1970s and was Lubbock's equivalent to Austin's The Rag, though a little less radical than the Rag was in its prime.
I think I do. I started Tech in 1973. It sounds familiar.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 10:31 AM

5,403 posts, read 11,680,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
OK, it was still West Texas State University the last I ever knew. However, even if it's a part of the A&M system, I can't see how appending "A&M" to the rest of the name works well. I would have though University of West Texas a better name. You know the story on how Texas Tech University got that name when they changed from Texas Technological College? The thinking was that "technological" was too limiting a designation for a comprhensive university, and conversely the football supporters didn't want to change the double-T symbol; so they arrived at this name that involves a made-up and previously nonexistant word "Tech". Should have got the name Texas State University while they could , years before Southwest Texas State University snagged it for themselves. OTOH, I hate it when states have one school called "The University of..." and the other major institution called "...State University".
I worked at WTAMU and it was considered a "joke" in comparison to TTU. The A&M affiliation hasn't done much for its reputation, however, it is a bit easier to partner with College Station because of the affiliation.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Status: "HEB Frisco, TX, opens Wednesday!" (set 8 hours ago)

51,329 posts, read 44,654,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Wow, it HAS been a long time, I guess, since I've been in Lubbock (as I posted earlier, born and raised there.) So the "circle" as we called it is long gone? It's probably a good thing. I do remember that supposedly there were quite a few traffic accidents occurring on "the circle" because people didn't really get the hang of it and merged in unsafely I suppose.
Actually, I have found a new traffic circle on my last visit to Lubbock, but it's really small and you have to go at it real slowly. It's on Mac Davis Lane, right next to the entrance of the new Overton Hotel and Convention Center. You'll find it just east of University and south of the Marsha Sharp Freeway.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:28 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,382,811 times
In some places "mini-roundabouts" are used as "traffic calming devices". There are several, for example, in the Bolden area of Austin. Perhaps that's the intended function of this really small one in Lubbock.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 12,222 times
i can't believe how OLD these posts are! Where DID you land? Lubbock, in my humble opinion, is a GREAT place to live and the crime is worse in Abilene. would love to hear back....

Old 09-18-2009, 10:42 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,382,811 times
What do you mean by old? We're on a tangent discussing old stuff in Lubbock. You're also entitled to your opinion about Lubbock. I'm afraid it has lots of things I see as distinct negatives, even though I have some fond memories of the place. The things that are problematic for me would not be changed by population growth or the development of new amenities over the last several years per se.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM

79 posts, read 194,133 times
Lubbock is doing wonders to drive out the retirees and those on fixed incomes. How? By charging $9/inch of rain for stormwater runoff fees. Of course this won't be used on runoff as it never has been but on fixing streets. Why streets? Because our inept city manager, from SA I might add, has created a massive city government that is totally out of control in spending taxpayer money. They continually push for more building and population increase for nothing more than taxes. Why? Because they have "city" envy here in Lubbock. They think they are in competitionn with DFW, SA and Austin. Lubbock will never be competition for any of those cites. Why? Water, there is no water. Sooner or later, it's going to dry up. All those folks who spents tens of thousands of dollars on homes at Lake Alan Henry are screewed because once they start the pumping, the lake can only sustain 18 months of pumping water to Lubbock. Why? Because the Double Mountain Fork of the Brazos river has a very small flow into LAH. I'm selling and moving before the bust and it is coming. They are going to have to force people to pay more for water than gasoline all because of a couple of greedy families running the city council and paying off everyone they need to. Other than all that, Lubbock has been a great place to live the previous 27 years but no more.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 PM

4,721 posts, read 8,005,679 times
^^^ All you did was reword your post from page 3.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 PM

79 posts, read 194,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
^^^ All you did was reword your post from page 3.

Is that against some rule? Lubbock is corrupt and that's a fact. Either kiss their booty or you get trampled. Ponder this thought, I-27 separated east Lubbock from the rest of town and just who was affected most by that? Another one, The so called east west freeway, actually a northeast to southwest freeway, segregated the north side from the rest of town and specifically the Tech area, right? Now, tell me the powers that be don't keep people in their places in Lubbock. People used to be able to just cross 4th street to get south and move around, now it's a major hassle to do so by anyone. Lubbock is soon to be a closed city. Tech and a certain family run the whole show here.

This really was a nice town once but that has totally changed for the worse. Streets that were once beautiful boulevards are now crumbling and junky. The southwest area thinks they own the whole city but what they forget is that those of us in central Lubbock are the ones who have paid taxes for generations and built their area on our dollars. Now they want it all to themselves. Keep it. I'll move and both of my kids who went to TT wouldn't even consider moving back here for even different reasons. There really is nothing to offer in Lubbock anymore. The fair is trash now and a pittence of what it was and the only two council members who really care are the minority members and they just get trounced on by the others.

It's sad to see Lubbock go the way of places like Detroit or other decaying cities but that is what it will be...a city of suburbs watching the inner city crumble and take the rest down with it. Atlanta comes to mind.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:08 AM

5,403 posts, read 11,680,183 times
Is Lubbock really that bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock