U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:08 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,382,811 times

Advertisements

I don't think Lubbock has enough "inner city" to crumble or to have a signficant effect on the whole if it did do so. I believe there's still very little downtown after all these years, apart from banks and the courthouse.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 12:16 PM

4,721 posts, read 8,005,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Is Lubbock really that bad?
Lol. The fact that the person repeated the same post shows that they have an agenda. Comparing Lubbock to Detroit is where he/she lost most credibility.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 PM

5,403 posts, read 11,680,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Lol. The fact that the person repeated the same post shows that they have an agenda. Comparing Lubbock to Detroit is where he/she lost most credibility.
Well, that's what I sorta thought. I was born and raised in Chicago and I just don't see how you can compare a more comparable city to Chicago, like Detroit, to Lubbock.

Sounds more like a series of bad experiences on the part of the poster.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:54 AM

7 posts, read 12,222 times
ya know... i've been visiting (yes I said visiting) Lubbock for over 9 years now as my daughter lives there and I'm not aware of the things I have been reading on this forum. News to me about the city council. I will have to ask my kids their opinions. As for Lubbock being a good town,,, personally , I think it's a great town to raise kids in because the schools are quality. The overall feeling of the town to me is upstanding and Christian. The way I observe it, the folks seem decent and caring and and raise their children to be respectful. Yes, I agree, it IS a college town and has been influenced a lot by Tech and all it's trappings,, but that is not a bad thing! After all,, Lubbock was founded by farmers and were lucky enough to get a college there that did nothing but HELP the growth and maturation of the town. I wouldn't call it a city,(I know they do) either, as I was raised in Dallas and i know what cities are! IT's just a medium sized one w/ a small town feeling (to ME). I look it as a big San Angelo.. ha! My daughter, who was raised in three states,, colorado, Montana, and texas,, loves it there, in Lubbock. She went to college in San Marcos and high school in a very small town in tx, under 6000 so,, I think she's pretty well rounded to make a consciencious observation.. living and working in the past in San Antonio and Austin, (not to mention Nyc and LA). All in all,, Lubbock aint that bad,, and i'd prefer it to anything east of I 35...

interesting to learn about the city politics, tho.. of Lubbock. I thank you for the info on that! I will relay it.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:42 AM

4,721 posts, read 8,005,679 times
^^^ In all honesty, I'm sure Lubbock has some degree of corruption, but secret is: it's not any better or any worse than it is in every single government in the nation. City council doesn't even have enough influence to make decisions without the consent of the residents, and most residents support paying slightly higher taxes if it means helping Texas Tech gain prestige and revitalizing downtown (which is being developed by McDougal Real Estate, the family that supposedly has control of council ). The person is complaining about how high taxes are without realizing that Lubbock has some of the lowest tax rates in the nation. I just think they have been spoiled by living in Lubbock so long, and it has gotten too big for their liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock