U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM

12 posts, read 30,783 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Lubbock and moved away after high school along with my family. I have lived in Corpus Christi for the past 10 years, and we are ready to get the heck out of dodge.

I still have family and some good friends living in Lubbock, but I've only been through for short visits over the years. I remember it being a great place to grow up and seems to have great schools and a family atmosphere.

These are my concerns:

1. We are an interracial couple (white and hispanic) and I wonder if that will be an issue for us at all. Here in South Texas, it isn't.

2. We live a pretty natural/healthy lifestyle. We try to eat as many local/organic/natural items as possible. We don't drink, smoke, etc. We like to be active. Will we find many living that kind of lifestyle?

3. We are LDS and while we know there are a number of Wards and even a temple in Lubbock, are members very accepted by the rest of the community?

I am a Special Education teacher, and my husband is a Corrections Officer. We are both upstanding citizens, and we don't mind standing out a bit, but we still want to feel comfortable if we are going to make Lubbock our home.

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 05:25 PM

11 posts, read 39,071 times
I'm looking to move to Lubbock soon too. From what I've seen you've got nothing to worry about. What sort of special ed. do you teach?

Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM

389 posts, read 1,546,447 times
I'm in an interracial marriage myself I don't see you having any problems here in Lubbock.with the many parks and heath clubs here you can contiune your active lifestyle too.I don't know about the LDS here though.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:24 PM

32,142 posts, read 50,425,602 times
most people probably won't care--
of the ones who do--more will probably care that you are LDS than a mixed couple
partly it is the age group you will associate with
there are plenty of mixed couples at Tech
older people might be less "warm"--even to the LDS part--Lubbock is pretty traditionally conservative

you can be new wave with your food--but not your politics--

Old 03-02-2010, 11:10 PM

2,099 posts, read 3,327,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
most people probably won't care--
of the ones who do--more will probably care that you are LDS than a mixed couple
partly it is the age group you will associate with
there are plenty of mixed couples at Tech
older people might be less "warm"--even to the LDS part--Lubbock is pretty traditionally conservative

you can be new wave with your food--but not your politics--
I've read that Lubbock has been considered "LDS South."

Also, there are at least two health food restaurants that I know of near the Tech campus, in the Tech Terrace area. There may be more.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:23 AM

5,377 posts, read 11,181,137 times
I just went to one of those health food restaraunts last night with my friend, on 34th st. Great food and other products. I think you won't have any problems. Lubbock isn't Deliverance land, ya know.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:14 AM

32,142 posts, read 50,425,602 times
even if there are many people belonging to LDS--does not mean that everyone else likes them...
not saying there is any animosity--but some religious people really see lot of negatives in the LDS church--especially with some of the sideshoots still practicing poligamy...

Old 03-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootermc View Post
I'm looking to move to Lubbock soon too. From what I've seen you've got nothing to worry about. What sort of special ed. do you teach?
I am a Collaborative Resource teacher, which means that my students are in regular education classrooms and receive their services within their regular class. I'm not sure if Lubbock has adopted an inclusive special education program, but I also have experience with pull-out resource. I have worked with students of every type of disability.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
even if there are many people belonging to LDS--does not mean that everyone else likes them...
not saying there is any animosity--but some religious people really see lot of negatives in the LDS church--especially with some of the sideshoots still practicing poligamy...
You are right, no matter where we go there are some who have issues with our faith. Lubbock has a VERY large LDS population for it's size, so I imagine that it can't be too bad.

And it's not like I wear a sign that says "Hey Everybody! I'm a Mormon!" lol

I really didn't want to get into a big religious discussion or anything, just wondered if LDS bashing was prevalent or not, but it sounds like it isn't bad at all!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 PM

3,781 posts, read 7,064,947 times
I'm dating a Hispanic girl right now, and we've had no problems at all. The White/Hispanic combination is pretty common. In fact, the new LISD superintendent is white and married to a Hispanic man. I don't really see you running into problems with being LDS than you would anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Lubbock
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or