Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:27 AM

33 posts, read 153,630 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I too could see big things happening for the economy if Mercer got a football team and became a national success like Boston College...hell even LaGrange got a football team!

I just never saw much being done for the city. It's like the ideas are there...I mean theres always talk of helping the city...but nothing ever gets done. The wealthy stay out on Bass Rd and pump money into the burbs, and relocate all the retail/commercial out there, now inner Macon is left with dumpy buildings and no prospective tennants.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:22 AM

48 posts, read 177,742 times
Macon has great potential. Beautiful old buildings that need a bit of TLC. Great people--friendly and family oriented.

The problem is that the ex-mayor was a lunatic that drove away potential corporate investors and developers. I have 3 subdivisions in Warner Robins, 10 miles south of Macon. A sewer tap in Warner Robins is about $400; in Macon it is $4000.

Macon is like Atlanta used to be in the 1950s. It is a religious center; traffic is very livable. It has a large African-American population, most of whom are gracious and friendly people. The races get along well in Macon.

It has crime, but not like Atlanta. Macon has a great future. In a few years it will be discovered.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:23 PM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,658 times
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I`m not touching that with a ten foot pole!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:44 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,936 times
I agree Macon will become very much discovered in the next few years, especially when its comes to the political field. A brand new mayor, a new council its going to be great. However when you speak of the ex-mayor are you talking about Jim Marshall who was a great mayor, and is a great representative, or the crocket Jack Ellis who has only 89 days left in office. However being Macon is in the center of everything it is prime location if only we could get off our butts and get movin.

Inner Macon has become empty, and its partially the county commisioners fault. for some reason they arent worried about Macon, only the development of NOrth Macon, and Hartley BRidge Road areas. Its seems that in the near future every business in Macon is either going to be located in the Bass Road area, Hartley Bridge area, or Eisenhower Crossing.

The African American population is very friendly as well, both Everett, and askelly728 had really good points.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:45 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,034,312 times
One thing Macon has going for it.... It's not Augusta.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:03 PM
GP2

81 posts, read 999,658 times
Give it time Disgusta......LOL........

Old 09-11-2007, 02:53 PM

123 posts, read 747,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
Macon has great potential. Beautiful old buildings that need a bit of TLC. Great people--friendly and family oriented.

The problem is that the ex-mayor was a lunatic that drove away potential corporate investors and developers. I have 3 subdivisions in Warner Robins, 10 miles south of Macon. A sewer tap in Warner Robins is about $400; in Macon it is $4000.

Macon is like Atlanta used to be in the 1950s. It is a religious center; traffic is very livable. It has a large African-American population, most of whom are gracious and friendly people. The races get along well in Macon.

It has crime, but not like Atlanta. Macon has a great future. In a few years it will be discovered.
Hahahahaha....someone more deluded than Mayor of Macon. Macon proper is a dying, crime ridden rathole. Warner Robins has ALWAYS been a much more prosperous and desirable place to live. ( at least for the last 30 years or so )
This thread should have been titled "Macon, Georgia, Ga's Next hot spot to be raped, robbed, or murdered"

Old 09-11-2007, 05:36 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,936 times
Crime is so ol' news, we are past that point, and when you say Warner RObins has always been more prosperous, the city just came on the seen at the end of WWII, when the base was built, this city is built around a base. How as Macon, has been apart of history since before WWI. Warner RObins have two main streets, and at one of of both of them is the base, which shows you how vital the base is to the city. BUt you have your opinion, and all I can say is that Macon prove itself instead of talking.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
Hahahahaha....someone more deluded than Mayor of Macon. Macon proper is a dying, crime ridden rathole. Warner Robins has ALWAYS been a much more prosperous and desirable place to live. ( at least for the last 30 years or so )
This thread should have been titled "Macon, Georgia, Ga's Next hot spot to be raped, robbed, or murdered"
hmm...i dont like the looks/political aspect of macon right now, BUT to say warner robins is more prosperous is crazy. warner robins is still wet behind the ears, tons of new and quickly put together cookie cutter subdivisions that are hardly anything to blink at. there is newer buildings/shopping, but nothing you cant find in macon. seriously WR is there b/c of the base, and people still travel to macon for better entertainment, better restaurant choices, etc. Don't get me wrong, WR is nice when you want a change of pace or scenery, or just wanna take a drive, but to toot its horn like its shutting macon down (figuritively speaking) is assinine.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfMacon2019 View Post
I agree Macon will become very much discovered in the next few years, especially when its comes to the political field. A brand new mayor, a new council its going to be great. However when you speak of the ex-mayor are you talking about Jim Marshall who was a great mayor, and is a great representative, or the crocket Jack Ellis who has only 89 days left in office. However being Macon is in the center of everything it is prime location if only we could get off our butts and get movin.

Inner Macon has become empty, and its partially the county commisioners fault. for some reason they arent worried about Macon, only the development of NOrth Macon, and Hartley BRidge Road areas. Its seems that in the near future every business in Macon is either going to be located in the Bass Road area, Hartley Bridge area, or Eisenhower Crossing.

The African American population is very friendly as well, both Everett, and askelly728 had really good points.
I truly agree...Macon will become discovered once they get someone in office who supports and promotes and actively works to attract and keep businesses. I am currently in Valdosta getting my business degree, and have spent a lot of time analyzing Valdosta vs Macon. Valdosta is way smaller and slower, and only has I-75 running along side it, BUT it has scored a handful of bigger companies to the area. Steeda (a major racing parts manufacturer) is relocating its manuf. plant to Valdosta, a big bakery from PA is opening a second bakery/distrib. center near Wild Adventures and Valdosta. When those businesses were asked why they chose Valdosta, they said it was a mixture of reasons: proximity to a major interstate and an airport, and also b/c Valdosta's leaders wanted to improve the local economy and push for progression. The more they push and bring companies in, the more that gets attracted.

IMHO, Ellis just kinda sat in office (literally) and handled things with a status quo attitude. Granted when he was on a power trip he sure was active....i.e. pulling a citizen over in his personal vehicle for speeding, and trying to keep him there until an officer arrived, "promoting Macon" in Africa and England, while spending some serious $$$$$ on safaris and shopping trips. The thing is, Ellis saw "status quo" as neither helping nor hurting. Funny how life and society dont operate that way. Without progression things get off track and just run amuck until they die. AKA downtown Macon and everything around it, businesses leaving the area or even the city, etc. Sure, there's growth in north macon and hartley bridge (which is good, i support growth and seeing those areas turn into great places to live, shop, dine, etc is amazing) but its cancelled out when you see how dead the Historic Macon has become. I LOVE touring the sidney lanier house, and the hay house, and driving through Rose Hill to see the old graves....i wish our leaders would fix up the downtown area, restore some places, promote the downtown area and attract new businesses to inhabit the streets. That, added to the growth in the north and south areas is what will put Macon "back on the map". Having a city that is connected throughout, that supports each section, is what we need.

Sorry for the length, but I'm passionate about my hometown. I wish I could return there next spring when I graduate, but the job market sucks terribly due to the lagging economy overall. I'll head to Atlanta and work, and hopefully Macon turns itself around, becomes a key player, and thrives. I'd pack my bags faster than anyone and move back home in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon