Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 AM

177 posts, read 458,241 times

Advertisements

For convenience sake, it would certainly be good to link Augusta and Columbus via Macon.

If you want to bring in more revenue to the state, then I would think a new interstate route that starts at Birmingham and ends at Charleston, SC would be beneficial. It could connect near Lagrange where I-85 and I-185 meet, go through Macon, and exit the state somewhere around Sylvania. Now that Birmingham has a freeway connection straight to Memphis, this would bring a higher percentage of travelers from the South Central US and the Plains areas. Also, it would be convenient for travelers who do not want the hassle of going through the congestion in Atlanta via I-20. Since the interstate would still go through Macon, it can also connect to I-16 for Savannah travelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geog-fanatic View Post
For convenience sake, it would certainly be good to link Augusta and Columbus via Macon.

If you want to bring in more revenue to the state, then I would think a new interstate route that starts at Birmingham and ends at Charleston, SC would be beneficial. It could connect near Lagrange where I-85 and I-185 meet, go through Macon, and exit the state somewhere around Sylvania. Now that Birmingham has a freeway connection straight to Memphis, this would bring a higher percentage of travelers from the South Central US and the Plains areas. Also, it would be convenient for travelers who do not want the hassle of going through the congestion in Atlanta via I-20. Since the interstate would still go through Macon, it can also connect to I-16 for Savannah travelers.
Why not bypass Macon completely:

Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 PM

Cool one for Columbus:

Old 04-11-2011, 08:23 PM

177 posts, read 458,241 times
Ha-ha, it looks like you're trying to give Atlanta serious competition with all those Columbus-connecting freeways. Well, I do like the idea of an interstate that goes from Columbus to the Florida panhandle beach destinations.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:40 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
What about an interstate 92 from interstate 16 near statesboro north thu augusta to interstate 26 in greenville, savannah and augusta connected by an interstate

Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geog-fanatic View Post
Ha-ha, it looks like you're trying to give Atlanta serious competition with all those Columbus-connecting freeways. Well, I do like the idea of an interstate that goes from Columbus to the Florida panhandle beach destinations.
It would be nice. Found these proposals on a website awhile back. If that ever happened it would be amazing for Columbus.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:57 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Athens to Atlanta takes higher priority than anything else. Athens is the largest city in the South without direct Interstate access, and they went cheap on GA 316 the first time they built it. Time to upgrade it, plus a segment of the Athens Perimeter, to I-785. It should be an eight-lane highway from I-85 to U.S. 29, and a six-lane highway the rest of the way. I-785 should end at GA 72 northeast of Athens.

As for the fall line cities, there's not as much traffic between them as there is between Athens and Atlanta, so they're next in line.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:09 AM

91 posts, read 243,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
As for the fall line cities, there's not as much traffic between them as there is between Athens and Atlanta, so they're next in line.
yes there is there are several different routes to get from Columbus Metro to Augusta Metro and back same with Augusta to Macon so traffic seems less because its spread over several highways unlike Atlanta to Athens which is primarily traveled via 316.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,100,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
Agree with both, but I would also say that an Augusta to Columbus expressway via Macon would be great. It's easier traveling north and south from those respective cities than it is traveling east and west.

Not true.

Also, why is this topic listed under "Macon" and not "Georgia"?

Also, also, this issue has been debated to death already: //www.city-data.com/forum/georg...e-14-dead.html

Old 04-12-2011, 11:36 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
Agree 316 should be upgraded before anything else.

For starters, it's <40 miles, compared to hundreds for the other proposals. Also, Barrow County is growing extremely fast, and we need to have adequate infrastructure to support that growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon