Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 06:12 AM

49 posts, read 65,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBartkowski View Post
Great ideas. I just fear that Maconites are too jaded and won't support any of it.
Generally speaking, Maconites are a miserable lot.

They have had sports teams, cultural venues, shopping hubs, etc. come and go because they couldn't be bothered to support them. Then they complain about the things are no longer there but they cheer and take great pride in saying "I told you so" when a business closes--especially if it's in the Macon Mall. The mall is beautiful and used to have stores such as Ann Taylor, A&F, Banana Republic, etc. Two or three incidents involving young blacks occured and received over-the-top media average. Suddenly, people wouldn't go near the place, even though it was and STILL IS one of the safest places you can shop in Macon. As a result, that whole area is dead.

They blame politicians for all their woes and in the same breath, go on and on about folks taking not personal responsibility for their situation. And EVERYBODY is playing the race card.

So yeah, I agree with Maconites--it's horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 12:03 PM

33 posts, read 66,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adenuff View Post
Generally speaking, Maconites are a miserable lot.

They have had sports teams, cultural venues, shopping hubs, etc. come and go because they couldn't be bothered to support them. Then they complain about the things are no longer there but they cheer and take great pride in saying "I told you so" when a business closes--especially if it's in the Macon Mall. The mall is beautiful and used to have stores such as Ann Taylor, A&F, Banana Republic, etc. Two or three incidents involving young blacks occured and received over-the-top media average. Suddenly, people wouldn't go near the place, even though it was and STILL IS one of the safest places you can shop in Macon. As a result, that whole area is dead.

They blame politicians for all their woes and in the same breath, go on and on about folks taking not personal responsibility for their situation. And EVERYBODY is playing the race card.

So yeah, I agree with Maconites--it's horrible.
And you're perfected your thought process via moving to Atlanta, right? Hell yeah! You moved from one turd to another, and you're the new expert!

Old 03-25-2012, 08:02 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
The best thing that could happen to Macon is the consolidation vote passing, but I don't expect the minority population of the city will want to give up their majority. They'd rather see the city continue to decline than become majority white, and that's a shame.

Old 03-26-2012, 02:09 PM

33 posts, read 66,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The best thing that could happen to Macon is the consolidation vote passing, but I don't expect the minority population of the city will want to give up their majority. They'd rather see the city continue to decline than become majority white, and that's a shame.
It's come to a point, though, to where just maybe their greed of wanting that extra white money might be outweighing everything else.

It's worth a shot. God knows it can't get much worse around here.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
adenuff is actually right (for the most part). Crime and mall safety was much, MUCH worse in late 90s and early 2000s. Around the time when the movie theater was across the street. Teens used to be able to walk freely through the mall. It was flooded with gangs and all kinds of craziness in the parking lot, that all walked over to the movies after the mall closed and continued there.

It's been several years now since police/mall security started checking for IDs on the weekend at the downstairs food court entrance, and if you arent of a certain age, they'd tell you that you couldnt enter without a parent/adult. They also made groups stop standing around in the mall and told them to keep it moving. Because of this, the mall stopped being a big "hangout" among high schoolers causing problems out there. The worst of those problems have been over for awhile. Years. Sure, you can name some incidents here and there, but still it was much worse then. You'd think the crime out there was worse now than then reading these people's comments.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
That wouldnt be the reason for the vote to fail. Bibb County would still be majority black, 52.1% as of 2010, so probably a slightly greater % than that now.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM

52 posts, read 142,663 times
They should save up enough money to renovate some of the so call "trashy" homes because if their residents had the money they would do it. The government takes all of this tax money but can't some of their residents out.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:04 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Not a native so I do not know how 'the good 'ole days' were. Do not live in Macon so I cannot offer anything but an opinion about living near Macon for a dozen years or so.
Other than a couple of mid sized colleges there is not much there. A crossroads town where two interstates meet. Macon seems more like a smaller town, more like where I live (population 5000), in that it resists change. All of the other like sized towns I can think of off the top of my head are much more progressive. By progressive I guess I mean getting people back down town after work. Perhaps creating an environment that gets people back in town, instead of fleeing to the suburbs until they return in the morning for work.
I was impressed with the renewal Columbus has done downtown. Maybe they call it uptown. On a Tuesday evening there were four different sets of street side musicians playing on Broadway. One and two man bands playing Jim Croce and Jimmy Buffet type stuff. Folks hanging out in patio furniture, bouncing around from one venue to another. From the front of a pizza parlor then across the street to the Irish pub. All this was just blocks from the hood. I have never stumbled onto anything even close to that in Macon. Well, the blocks from the hood part I have. The same holds true for downtown Augusta, but on an even larger scale. No need to even bring up Savannah or Charleston, as they have vibrant down towns in the evenings.
There are two decent sized music venues in the area, capable of handling most of the touring bands out there. Yet other than the national fair and a couple of hip hop artists they sit empty most of the time. The concert schedule for the venue in North Charleston is jam up. I know this because I got stuck in traffic right at the sign. Something for everyone, one right after another. I was even impressed with the schedule at the venue in Columbus. A country act, then the ever popular monster trucks followed by a decent rock act. In Columbus. Macon has cancelled arena football and Travis Tritt. For the next couple of months. This is a city with a metro population of nearly 150,000 folks, if you include Houston County in the mix.
Perhaps progressive was not the word I was looking for. Maybe the best phrase is not stagnant. And that is how I see Macon, stagnant.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,443 times
Cut the city council in half. Ban criminals. That's right. A condition of their parole should be leaving the city of Macon. Property taxes wouldn't be so high if we weren't losing our tax base. Make it worthwhile for the middle class to move to Macon by giving them a tax break. Macon does it for corporations; do it for individuals too. Install cameras on the streets of Macon. If you're not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,533,081 times
Get to the point....... Destroy all those dirty buildings downtown, replace them with lofts to improve the town districts population.... Add shops to fill in for the lofts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon