Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:58 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Hometown pride is great but trying to make your city look better by dogging another is extremey juvenile and flat out stupid. Y'all need to give it a rest.

... Try seeing the big picture for once.

Quote:
You will invariably see someone post about the crime in Macon and how the city is awful. ... you are not exposed to any more crime than one would face anywhere else
Whats the difference in these two posts? How about over four years. March 2008 - July 2012.
Practice what you preach much?
In 2008 you are saying that one would not be exposed to any more crime in Macon than anywhere else. In 2012 you are saying that hometown pride is great, but any data that shows how different the cities are is extremely juvenile and flat out stupid.
And that is the way it goes in this forum. Someone posts some major upcoming project and how it is going to vastly improve the city. If anyone offers a differing opinion they are met with something like "you act like Macon is so much worse than _____(insert any city here)". If data is provided to show exactly how Macon is worse than _____(any city), that poster is called a troll or just a Macon hater. It has been happening just like that since 2007. There are posts after posts right there in the archives showing this over and over again. Some with your name on them.
My question is this, after five years of boasting of all the good things happening in Macon, where is the change? What all needs to be done in Macon to help it out? What has worked? The crime is just as bad or worse, no real improvement to the school systems, area wages are still below state average, poverty levels are still sky high.

All these years of defending Macon ... hows that working out for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:54 PM
RNF

141 posts, read 232,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Whats the difference in these two posts? How about over four years. March 2008 - July 2012.
Practice what you preach much?
In 2008 you are saying that one would not be exposed to any more crime in Macon than anywhere else. In 2012 you are saying that hometown pride is great, but any data that shows how different the cities are is extremely juvenile and flat out stupid.
And that is the way it goes in this forum. Someone posts some major upcoming project and how it is going to vastly improve the city. If anyone offers a differing opinion they are met with something like "you act like Macon is so much worse than _____(insert any city here)". If data is provided to show exactly how Macon is worse than _____(any city), that poster is called a troll or just a Macon hater. It has been happening just like that since 2007. There are posts after posts right there in the archives showing this over and over again. Some with your name on them.
My question is this, after five years of boasting of all the good things happening in Macon, where is the change? What all needs to be done in Macon to help it out? What has worked? The crime is just as bad or worse, no real improvement to the school systems, area wages are still below state average, poverty levels are still sky high.

I trying to decide whether to respond to this or not.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:58 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,429 times
Quote:
Practice what you preach much

Ok, you are reading into the posts a bit much don't you think. the 2008 post was in response to a post that basically said if you come to Macon you will die and my response was that if you aren't selling crack in the hood or touring Houston Ave, you aren't exposed to more crime than most other places and I stand by that. The second post you quoted is in response to Columbus posters hijacking a Macon thread and the response was that it is juvenile to use another city's stats to try to make yourself feel better...it is juvenile...Columbus's crime stats are higher than the national average, but its okay because they are not Macon's! Really? Okay, if that makes you feel better....fine.

Picking parts of two posts 4 years apart to try to allude to a point is like picking one or two Bible verses out of context to prove a point...neither is very effective.

I live in Macon so of course I am aware of the problems and if you look at all of my past posts which apparently you have time to do, you will see that I readily admit the problems. I also am quite happy living here and have not been a victim of any crime in the 7 years I have lived here so that is what it is. If I was miserable and thought Macon was terrible I would move. I am not going to live somewhere where I am miserable. It seems that if anyone points out any positives, many on here bash you and claim you are delusional. Based on this personal information and perspective, I will disagree with posters (most of whom live outside of Macon BTW) who indicate that if you set foot in this city you will immediately be robbed, raped, and murdered. In my 7 years, I have lived downtown and now in a neighborhood very near downtown, have left my car downtown overnight on many occasions, walked around downtown often at midnight (2 or 3 am a few years ago when I was single), go out frequently and still have not been a victim of any crime. Neither have any of my friends. Why shouldn't I tell people that?

I also enjoy good discourse regarding ways to improve our city. I am not someone who wears blinders, but I also don't see the point in hijacking every Macon thread into a Columbus vs. Macon pissing contest as in my opinion both cities have basically the same pros and cons.

My issue is not with practicing what I preach as you put it, it is with people who don't even live here coming to the forum and just spewing garbage that has nothing to do with the OP's question. Please explain to me how Columbus's history has anything to do with helping Macon? Being negative is fine if you are on topic!

You have a lot of negative Macon posts and that is fine, you also typically stay on topic which is why I don't have an issue with most of what you post. Disagreement is fine. My whole issue is that City-Data used to have good conversation regarding projects (positive and negative), but now it isn't fun anymore with all of these people who hijack threads to talk about their unrelated nonsense instead of starting a new thread.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 07-25-2012 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 07-25-2012, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Picking parts of two posts 4 years apart to try to allude to a point is like picking one or two Bible verses out of context to prove a point...neither is very effective.
I looked for your first post I could find and your last post I could find. I only alluded that in between you had done your share of broad brush stroke comparisons and/or hometown pride boasting. But that is OK, and I agree, you are more realistic than most of the Maconites.

But lets stay on topic here, with an eye on the past for reference.

What all needs to be done in Macon to help it out?

We have several years of threads and posts to look back on. What has worked to help Macon out? Was it the picture after picture of interstate junction repairs that catapulted Macon above and beyond her sister second tier cities? Was it an open plan mall that brought her over the top? What was it that brought the poverty level back in check with the rest of the state? How about the schools, is it this new guy who got Bibb County schools racing up the school board rating charts? What was the catalyst that brought all the new industry to Macon? Was it the first ever Ga. TGI Fridays, the Red Robin or the Jack in the Box that got all the people moving back into the city limits?

(---- no mention of crime in there anywhere----)

I ask these questions because of the history of this sub forum. These and other events/topics have been brought up over and over again. The department of redundancy department.

Here is one of my earlier posts in this sub forum. From 2008. It was a response to one of you Maconites, and about as nice as I can be.

Quote:
Despite what you might think, I wish Macon was a nicer place... its the nearest metropolitan area to where I live. I really wish your town did not provide so much ugliness to counter your over zealous promotion. I am serious. For those of you who live comfortably in your north Macon gated communities I can somewhat understand your view. I do not agree with it, but I can understand how you could be unwilling to really see what exists elsewhere. But for visitors and passers by, I think you paint a narrow minded view. Proposed projects, highway renovations, upscale shopping... it all sounds nice. That does not change the blight that exists in Macon right now. Instead of major urban renewal, as I mentioned before, the city is running away (north) from the blight. That is no fix... and the reason I counter your 'rose colored glasses' outlook.
I feel exactly the same way today. Tell me why I should have changed my view in the last three years. Please show me where I have missed out on all the improvement Macon has experienced in the last three-four years. Dead serious. I am all ears.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:03 PM

178 posts, read 499,660 times
Quote:
What was it that brought the poverty level back in check with the rest of the state?
//www.city-data.com/top2/c3.html

Because 25.5% poverty in Macon is not remotely close to the sister cities

Albany - 27.1%
Augusta - 21%
Savannah - 21.8%

US. Quickfacts Page

The catastrophic 22.4% poverty rate in Bibb is not similar to

Dougherty - 28.9%
Richmond - 23.3%
Muscogeee - 18.2%
Clarke - 33.5%

Yes, Macon is the only one with high poverty, even though most of those are very similar and even higher in a few.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM
RNF

Quote:
I looked for your first post I could find and your last post I could find. I only alluded that in between you had done your share of broad brush stroke comparisons and/or hometown pride boasting. But that is OK, and I agree, you are more realistic than most of the Maconites.

We have several years of threads and posts to look back on. What has worked to help Macon out? Was it the picture after picture of interstate junction repairs that catapulted Macon above and beyond her sister second tier cities? Was it an open plan mall that brought her over the top? What was it that brought the poverty level back in check with the rest of the state? How about the schools, is it this new guy who got Bibb County schools racing up the school board rating charts? What was the catalyst that brought all the new industry to Macon? Was it the first ever Ga. TGI Fridays, the Red Robin or the Jack in the Box that got all the people moving back into the city limits?

I ask these questions because of the history of this sub forum. These and other events/topics have been brought up over and over again. The department of redundancy department.

Here is one of my earlier posts in this sub forum. From 2008. It was a response to one of you Maconites, and about as nice as I can be.

I feel exactly the same way today. Tell me why I should have changed my view in the last three years. Please show me where I have missed out on all the improvement Macon has experienced in the last three-four years. Dead serious. I am all ears.
No other cities have crime. I never knew that. We cannot control what is built in Macon, and just because another city has a project going doesn't mean Macon has to has one to equal it. There are like 5 projects going on in Macon right now. Macon has lots of good parts as well as bad.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM

178 posts, read 499,660 times
I suppose a better question would be, if each and every one of the sister cities have so much more growth and projects going on than Macon, why is their poverty rate not that much different???

Athens has UGA and I rarely hear anything bad about it all. The stats I just posted from the US Census Quickfacts page says Clarke County has a higher poverty rate than Bibb County. 11% Higher. With all the big projects and growth going on in Augusta, why does Richmond County have a similar poverty rate as Bibb County?

It's one thing to have a negative opinion of a place. It's another to bad mouth any positive post about Macon, including making false statements like Macon's poverty is much higher than it's Georgia peers, when stats even show those cities struggle with the same problem.

Last edited by brentyoung12; 07-25-2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM
RNF

Quote:

Another thing. Why do you want people to repeatedly talk down on Macon? Considering you probably never even been to macon, there are many great places. Also you think Macon hasn't had a single project in 4-5 yrs? Macons not exploding with growth but it's still growing.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
//www.city-data.com/top2/c3.html

Because 25.5% poverty in Macon is not remotely close to the sister cities

Albany - 27.1%
Augusta - 21%
Savannah - 21.8%

US. Quickfacts Page

The catastrophic 22.4% poverty rate in Bibb is not similar to

Dougherty - 28.9%
Richmond - 23.3%
Muscogeee - 18.2%
Clarke - 33.5%

Yes, Macon is the only one with high poverty, even though most of those are very similar and even higher in a few.
Please reread the quote you posted. I did not compare Macon to her sister cities in regards to poverty. I compared Macon to the rest of the state. I could have compared her to the rest of the nation, but chose not to.
#7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest percentage of residents living in poverty in 2007 (pop 5,000+)This is from this site, as it is a rules violation to link to other similar sites. I too looked at other sources, which also back up my claims in regards to Macon and the rest of the state.
Once again we are right back at comparing other cities when I went out of my way to follow this thread to a tee and stay on topic. This is about Macon. Is it so difficult to follow along within the rules? Do you have anything to add about what needs to be done in Macon to help it out?
Must we resort to reporting posts to the moderators again in order to get people to follow the rules?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:15 PM
RNF

Quote:
Please reread the quote you posted. I did not compare Macon to her sister cities in regards to poverty. I compared Macon to the rest of the state. I could have compared her to the rest of the nation, but chose not to.
#7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest percentage of residents living in poverty in 2007 (pop 5,000+)This is from this site, as it is a rules violation to link to other similar sites. I too looked at other sources, which also back up my claims in regards to Macon and the rest of the state.
Once again we are right back at comparing other cities when I went out of my way to follow this thread to a tee and stay on topic. This is about Macon. Is it so difficult to follow along within the rules? Do you have anything to add about what needs to be done in Macon to help it out?
Must we resort to reporting posts to the moderators again in order to get people to follow the rules?
This what you just posted is about Macon crime and poverty. That source says 2007? Also quote the whole article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon