Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM

38 posts, read 51,391 times

Advertisements

Other than completely overhauling every bit of the local government, what are your suggestions? There's no denying that this city has gone straight down the toilet over the course of the last 20-30 years, so wouldn't it be nice to see it come back to where it was before then? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:04 AM

9 posts, read 36,738 times
For starters, drop ad valorem taxes and property taxes. Macon is pricing itself out of anything by over-taxing the very few left who DO pay taxes. At their current pace, they will drive those remaining out within less than a decade at the current pace. These two taxes are well above the norm for what they should be charging.

Next - yes - the entire local government should be revamped. I reckon there are a few nice people in the local government, but let's face it - they've failed and have failed badly.

A long time ago, Macon used to have it going on pretty good. Within the last 20 years, it has allowed itself to fall behind Atlanta, Athens, Albany, Augusta & Columbus with many of the locals being seduced in a throne of denial. Living in the past won't do you any good at all if you can't face reality.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,253,712 times
The biggest thing that could be done is to make sure you vote in Tuesday's primary elections. This is the "real" election since none of the positions are contested by party. Changes need to be made and failing to vote is not an option unless you are content with the current state of affairs. Maybe I will come back to this thread Wednesday crying or smiling. We shall see!

Old 07-17-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
The biggest thing that could be done is to make sure you vote in Tuesday's primary elections. This is the "real" election since none of the positions are contested by party. Changes need to be made and failing to vote is not an option unless you are content with the current state of affairs. Maybe I will come back to this thread Wednesday crying or smiling. We shall see!
Why? There's no choice. They're all Democrats. That's a no-win scenario.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:49 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,253,712 times
Well, that is because no Republicans qualified. Perhaps you should have thrown your name in the hat.

Also, it is stupid that we have partisan city elections, but that is the current rule book, unfortunately. True they all have D after their names, but saying that they are all the same because of that would be the same as saying Rudy Giulliani and Pat Robertson are the same because of the R after their name. I live among many Republicans and all are crossing over to vote for Chris Horne and Reichert. Not that they love them, but the city would be so much better off than haveing Elaine Lucas and Robert Brown. (In my opinion of course)

Of course it is your perogative to stay home if you like, but not all of the candidates are equal by any stretch.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Any Republican knew it was a waste of time.

No doubt that Reichert & Horne would be (I guess) better choices, but take a look at them. Macon is as broke as it can get, and Reichert is spending time trying to boycott Dodge County because of the flag they choose to fly. Horne is already saying he's going to be building parks for people who don't care - and with what or who's money? Our money. They'll be hitting us up for more taxes. My god - our property taxes are already way above the state average, and we're going to only see that go higher.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:10 AM

12 posts, read 20,693 times
Default Restoring Macon to a place of pride...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bartkowski View Post
Other than completely overhauling every bit of the local government, what are your suggestions? There's no denying that this city has gone straight down the toilet over the course of the last 20-30 years, so wouldn't it be nice to see it come back to where it was before then? Thoughts?

Good question!
  1. "Zero Tolerance" enforcement on gang and gang-like behaviour
  2. 'pride' projects in and around Macon and the county (Cleaning up, planting, renovation orders on shopfronts (if dilapidated) and other beautification projects)
  3. Riverfront public use areas - promoting small to medium commerce (cafe's, outdoor eateries, etc) and promoting the use of the waterways, decks and moorings and maybe even an outdoor auditorium for Summer concerts/speaking events
  4. Mowing of overgrown areas
  5. External promotions and incentives for commerce to make Macon their home and reinvest in the the community
  6. Better highway promotion of Macon's points of interest
  7. Provide a co-ordinated means for Macons' business community to re-invest in the local area and maybe 'sponsor' certain areas around their businesses. Such as the Highway sponsorship scheme - though focused in the local streets.
There's some of my ideas, but I'm sure I'll be criticized by some people...
They're just a range of ideas to be broadened upon by myself and others and I invite 'constructive' comments and suggestions...
Oh, did I mention: "Zero Tolerance" enforcement on gang and gang-like behaviour ?

Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 PM

13 posts, read 31,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SreangerOz View Post
Good question!
  2. 'pride' projects in and around Macon and the county (Cleaning up, planting, renovation orders on shopfronts (if dilapidated) and other beautification projects)
  3. Riverfront public use areas - promoting small to medium commerce (cafe's, outdoor eateries, etc) and promoting the use of the waterways, decks and moorings and maybe even an outdoor auditorium for Summer concerts/speaking events
  5. External promotions and incentives for commerce to make Macon their home and reinvest in the the community
  7. Provide a co-ordinated means for Macons' business community to re-invest in the local area and maybe 'sponsor' certain areas around their businesses. Such as the Highway sponsorship scheme - though focused in the local streets.
They're just a range of ideas to be broadened upon by myself and others and I invite 'constructive' comments and suggestions...
Oh, did I mention: "Zero Tolerance" enforcement on gang and gang-like behaviour ?
Great ideas. I just fear that Maconites are too jaded and won't support any of it. I agree with everything you said, though.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 37,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SreangerOz View Post
Good question!

I would to add tear down all the projects. It seems that Macon spends way too much money on rebuilding these dumps.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 11,054 times
Replace the outstanding bricking at Sears Auto Center for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon