Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:10 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,596,291 times

Advertisements

I may be taking a job in Macon and moving down there from Atlanta. I'm excited about the opportunity because it's a promotion but I don't know anything about the area. Where would be a good place for a single young professional (mid 30's) to live in or near the city? I'm not worried about high rent since I'd be making a good enough salary to live where I want in the area. I'm just really curious of a good neighborhood either inside the city or on the outskirts. Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,298,759 times
If you're nopt concerned about high rent, I'd start downtown at any one of the lofts available. There's plenty to do downtown and you'd certainly meet a lot of people that way.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 36,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I may be taking a job in Macon and moving down there from Atlanta. I'm excited about the opportunity because it's a promotion but I don't know anything about the area. Where would be a good place for a single young professional (mid 30's) to live in or near the city? I'm not worried about high rent since I'd be making a good enough salary to live where I want in the area. I'm just really curious of a good neighborhood either inside the city or on the outskirts. Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Definitely look around Bass Road @ I75. Without question it would be one of the safer areas of Macon. Downtown is not a very safe place.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Great! Thanks!

Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,234,342 times
This is a lifestyle choice. North Macon up around Bass Road and Zebulon Road is the safest part of town, but it is also extremely suburban so it is made up of chain restaurants, Targets, family neighborhoods, etc. Downtown is filled with many more folks like you (30s, single, professional). I live very near downtown and lived in downtown for several years. I love downtown Macon. While it is no way similar to Mass., it is as close as you are going to find in these parts as far as finding nightlife, culture, other professionals, and other singles in your age group. The intown Macon area is one of the safer areas of town. I feel very safe in downtown Macon and frequent the area often. That view is shared by many other professionals in town. There are young professional social gatherings and networking socials on a regular basis as well as the FridayFest opportunities for music, art, meeting new folks, ets.

Might I suggest visiting the Newtown Macon website and subscribe to their e-newsletter to receive the updates about what is going on around downtown that is usually geared more toward local professionals. http://www.newtownmacon.com/

Feel free to PM me if you want any specific details. Congrats on the promotion!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 PM

9 posts, read 36,544 times
//www.city-data.com/city/Macon-Georgia.html

I would seriously recommend that you read the above page before considering moving down here.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:27 PM

After doing some research on Macon it appears I'm better off commuting 75 miles from Atlanta to Macon if I can deal with an hour and 10 minute commute. I've heard some people commute from Macon to Atlanta. I've done a 73 mile commute in traffic and didn't think it was all that bad. Would you recommend me doing this or does Macon have enough going on for single young professionals that I'd be happy there?

Old 07-27-2011, 05:37 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,065,131 times
What exactly are you looking for as far as entertainment options, leisure, recreation, etc???

Old 07-28-2011, 06:28 AM

To be honest with you I'm not even into the bar scene so living in Macon probably wouldn't be bad at all. I do like being where the action is and there doesn't appear to be many singles down in Macon from what I can tell so far. I may just bite the bullet and do the 75 mile commute. I've done it before in traffic for 3 months up in MA and didn't think it was bad at all.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,065,131 times
We certainly arent Atlanta, but even if you were into the bar scene, downtown's pretty live every Friday. It used to just be 1st Friday's but now the theme is "Every Friday is First Friday"

There's just no way possible we can compete with Atlanta if you're looking for other young professionals, especially around your age, but there are alot of college students in the area that flock to downtown and the clubs on the weekend, not to mention Warner Robins is just down the road with several single military employees.

I think Macon offers alot for people 18-25 (maybe up to 30) but we could have better amenities for the 25, 30 and up crowd. Have you ever considered staying in Warner Robins???

Growing Fast...brand new shopping centers and sub divisions all over the place
Military Singles from all over....really attractive women down there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon