Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 AM

28 posts, read 44,038 times

Advertisements

Great Vids. Columbus has the most exciting downtown in Georgia outside of Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 AM

841 posts, read 1,402,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
You've got about 35-40% of Macon's real population living in unincorporated areas that have a much a higher median income and much lower crime rate than what is currently listed in the stats for Macon city proper. Count in all the shopping, dining, employers, and entertainment in what is still currently "unincorporated Bibb County" like AMSTAR, The Shoppes, Geico (and all of Ocmulgee East Industrial area), etc and you've got an even higher % of the population within Bibb County that either lives or spends most of their time in areas that arent accounted for in the listed "stats" for Macon. Even within the currently set city proper boundaries, the bulk of Macon's crime is centered around certain neighborhoods near the Mall, or just South of Downtown. It would pretty biased to judge Macon as whole based off stats which exclude so much of Macon.

As for Downtown, the part of Downtown most people go to on the weekend (like Cherry St.) is safe generally. Lol it's not even filled with "poor black people" as I read on here. The majority of the crowd are 20 somethings and it's good mix of all people, but if anything I'd say it's majority white. Most of the people you see of any racial background around there are just college kids. "The Hood" doesnt party there, so dont be alarmed if you think you see too many "undesirables."

Mercer (The Village) is gorgeous and the Historic District (College St, etc.) is charming and speaks for themselves.

And people in Macon aren't "obsessed" with Downtown anyway. People are more "obsessed" with North Macon and Rutland/Hartley Bridge than anything.

Well Said......

Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Well Said......
And I concur. That might be the best post I have ever read from ole 9.5.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:02 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenixCity280 View Post
Great Vids. Columbus has the most exciting downtown in Georgia outside of Atlanta.
Ummm...I think Savannah would like to have a word with you--and not even about a second-place downtown ranking.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
My ranking of Georgia's cities in terms of stature and importance:

Tier 1 - Atlanta
(unthinkably huge chasm)
Upper Tier 2 - Savannah
Middle Tier 2 - Augusta, Macon
Lower Tier 2 - Athens, Columbus
Upper Tier 3 - Albany
Middle Tier 3 - Dalton, Valdosta, Brunswick, suburban Chattanooga
Lower Tier 3 - Rome, Statesboro, Milledgeville

This is considering the areas within Georgia only. If you consider areas out of Georgia, Chattanooga joins Savannah in upper tier 2 and Columbus rises to the middle of tier 2.

I no longer consider Gainesville distinct from metro Atlanta, although its rapid job and population growth would be propelling it up the latter quite quickly if it were its own area.

People will probably rag on having Athens in the same tier as Columbus, but that's just how I see them. Especially if you consider future growth into the mix. Although Athens is dangerously close to getting absorbed into Atlanta, following in the steps of Gainesville.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:42 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

Tier 1 - Atlanta
(unthinkably huge chasm)
Upper Tier 2 - Savannah
Upper Tier 3 - Albany

This is considering the areas within Georgia only. If you consider areas out of Georgia, Chattanooga joins Savannah in upper tier 2 and Columbus rises to the middle of tier 2.

I no longer consider Gainesville distinct from metro Atlanta, although its rapid job and population growth would be propelling it up the latter quite quickly if it were its own area.

People will probably rag on having Athens in the same tier as Columbus, but that's just how I see them. Especially if you consider future growth into the mix. Although Athens is dangerously close to getting absorbed into Atlanta, following in the steps of Gainesville.
So you are saying there is no future growth for Columbus? You need to follow the Columbus thread.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post

Tier 1 - Atlanta
(unthinkably huge chasm)
Upper Tier 2 - Savannah
Upper Tier 3 - Albany

Then I think with Aiken County in SC, Augusta would definitely be in upper tier 2.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:25 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I think Macon should pour the money into its downtown. Macon has lost its identity.

A quick google search shows, oh, say 50 dozen or so folks who also feel downtown Savannah is/or has tourist traps.
Just for you I will share a few -
A classic case of unseen forest because of the trees.

To be fair.Most of those quotes were about River Street.Which I think most would agree is a tourist trap.Most of those did not even mention Downtown as a whole.More like a resturant in downtown that sounded like a tourist trap.Like Paula Deen's restaurants probably.Not the WHOLE downtown.

Old 01-05-2013, 03:05 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
To be fair.Most of those quotes were about River Street.Which I think most would agree is a tourist trap.Most of those did not even mention Downtown as a whole.More like a resturant in downtown that sounded like a tourist trap.Like Paula Deen's restaurants probably.Not the WHOLE downtown.
Yeah, you are right. And Newsboy called me out on it. But you have to remember that Newsboy was making the claim that all cities should look towards downtown Savannah as a standard bearer for downtown renewal. He made the claim that I was the first person he ever heard call downtown Savannah a tourist trap. You at least admit a piece of it is a tourist trap. He actually seemed offended over my opinion. Like most on here, he wanted to argue opinions ... no discussion allowed. After that, well, I was just messing with him. (He claimed I had a beef with Savannah then asked me to never come back. That was friggin' funny right there!)
Because Savannah has the historic tourist draw working for it, its renewal efforts are/were directed differently than say Macon would/should/could go with its downtown renewal plans. Or Greenville went, or Chatanooga.
That was my point, and he never got it. I hope you do.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Because Savannah has the historic tourist draw working for it, its renewal efforts are/were directed differently than say Macon would/should/could go with its downtown renewal plans. Or Greenville went, or Chatanooga.
Very true. Although Macon can employ some principles of good urban development that Savannah has, overall downtown Savannah is too unique to be a model. The cities you mentioned, Greenville and Chattanooga, are more appropriate here IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon