Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 PM
 
6,479 posts, read 7,177,436 times
Reputation: 1970

Advertisements

‘Tasteful’ club in downtown Macon seeks zoning approval | Business | Macon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,389 posts, read 2,261,685 times
Reputation: 1858
Actually a bar thats not a party but more of a gathering spot should do well downtown. Most are currently restaurants and if you dont intend to eat...its not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,709 posts, read 21,954,071 times
Reputation: 10227
Does Macon have a gay bar? I heard the one that uses to be downtown on Cherry Street closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2013, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,389 posts, read 2,261,685 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Does Macon have a gay bar? I heard the one that uses to be downtown on Cherry Street closed.
Not anymore. Synergy closed and my downtown sources tell me that this bar while not exclusively a gay bar will probably cater to the gay community, hence the main reason I now think it will do well...it will meet a need. We are only 80 minutes from midtown Atlanta but that is a long drive to go to a bar...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 AM
 
Location: Here and there
1,808 posts, read 4,042,436 times
Reputation: 2044
Straight up I am gonna tell you it is hard to keep up with these new PC code words. So, for the record, a gay bar is now called a "tasteful club"?
I really would like to know, as for the last two weeks I have been working on a project in Augusta that, right up until right now, I would have said was a tasteful 'club'. Surrounded by an awesome golf course (perhaps the best on the planet) it has three bars, five kitchens and a whole bunch of pictures on the walls from the 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's, etc.. Supreme woodwork, unbelievable stone flooring, glass, marble, copper .... every tasteful decorating medium that exists. It very well might be the most tasteful building I have ever been in. That is until I heard what the 'new' tasteful is. This place, steeped with history and reeking of high society is no longer tasteful but a gay bar is?
Damn the new PC code words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 AM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,389 posts, read 2,261,685 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Straight up I am gonna tell you it is hard to keep up with these new PC code words. So, for the record, a gay bar is now called a "tasteful club"?
I really would like to know, as for the last two weeks I have been working on a project in Augusta that, right up until right now, I would have said was a tasteful 'club'. Surrounded by an awesome golf course (perhaps the best on the planet) it has three bars, five kitchens and a whole bunch of pictures on the walls from the 1940's, 50's, 60's, 70's, etc.. Supreme woodwork, unbelievable stone flooring, glass, marble, copper .... every tasteful decorating medium that exists. It very well might be the most tasteful building I have ever been in. That is until I heard what the 'new' tasteful is. This place, steeped with history and reeking of high society is no longer tasteful but a gay bar is?
Damn the new PC code words.
The word tasteful was used by the applicant and the paper ran with it. That is all. Nothing more, nothing political, nothing cultural about it. Im pretty sure nobody has the market cornered on word choice to describe an establishment. Your example in augusta still seems tasteful, but other than history, a new bar could have the same furnishings regardless of the personal lives of its patrons...that really doesnt have anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 AM
 
Location: Here and there
1,808 posts, read 4,042,436 times
Reputation: 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
..... but other than history, a new bar could have the same furnishings regardless of the personal lives of its patrons...that really doesnt have anything to do with it.

Although I recognize your point, I have to respectfully disagree. A new bar could not have the same furnishings. The club I am referring to is about as tasteful and selective as any on the planet. Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft, was denied membership to this club simply for publicly showing an interest in joining. For several years. Once he stopped talking about, well, they let him in.
With a membership of around 300, of which the vast majority exist in the top 1% of wealthy in the entire world, no bar in the country could/would have the same furnishings. And certainly not in Macon.

But the real point I was making was that the food and beverage business is anything but stable. Tasteful or not. Restaurants and bars come and go often, sometimes they reopen with another name and sometimes they just disappear altogether. This instability seems even more prevalent with gay bars.
I am all for new business' opening downtown. But to throw in the word 'tasteful' does not dissipate the instability in the business. And to mask gay with tasteful does it even more unjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2013, 04:00 AM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,389 posts, read 2,261,685 times
Reputation: 1858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Although I recognize your point, I have to respectfully disagree. A new bar could not have the same furnishings. The club I am referring to is about as tasteful and selective as any on the planet. Bill Gates, the founder of Microsoft, was denied membership to this club simply for publicly showing an interest in joining. For several years. Once he stopped talking about, well, they let him in.
With a membership of around 300, of which the vast majority exist in the top 1% of wealthy in the entire world, no bar in the country could/would have the same furnishings. And certainly not in Macon.

But the real point I was making was that the food and beverage business is anything but stable. Tasteful or not. Restaurants and bars come and go often, sometimes they reopen with another name and sometimes they just disappear altogether. This instability seems even more prevalent with gay bars.
I am all for new business' opening downtown. But to throw in the word 'tasteful' does not dissipate the instability in the business. And to mask gay with tasteful does it even more unjust.
Fair enough...the bar you speak of is not a public place, it is an exclusive members only private place. Totally different and I would use a stronger adjective than tasteful to describe such a place if it is as extravagant as you describe. Of course I wouldnt use tasteful to describe anything but that is just me. It is not a very descriptive word.

I dont think gay bars come and go more than others though. There are some mainstays that have lasted decades in many cities and others that fold in a year...just as you described...the bar business is tough and some make it while many do not. Even in Macon, the prior gay bar Synergy was in business 10 years long outlasting many of the other bars that came and went on Cherry St in that time. Of course the times are changing and a bar catering to only gay clientele is harder because you can go to nearly any downtown venue now and be accepted so the need is not as great as in the past which may be why the petitioner for this bar is not saying its a gay bar. I dont know him personally and do not know his plans but a nice place to have a drink with friends on Cherry St would be nice and welcomed by many different people and I doubt it would solely cater to one demographic. The semantics arent all that important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 03:48 AM
 
Location: Here and there
1,808 posts, read 4,042,436 times
Reputation: 2044
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post

I dont think gay bars come and go more than others though.
Fair enough, after a little research I could not find any data that supported my claim that gay bars closed at a higher rate that straight bars. ( I still think it to be true, but I cannot prove it.) However, the food and beverage business is even more unstable than I thought according to the data I uncovered. Somewhere between 60% and 80% of all bars close within a few years of opening.

Quote:
.... but a nice place to have a drink with friends on Cherry St would be nice and welcomed
I can understand why you would say this as a Macon resident. But I have long ago given up on Macon as a nightlife destination. To be honest, it is pitiful. Any nightlife plans by Bulldawgfan includes a motel room and travel to, well, pretty much any of our states mid sized cities OTHER than Macon. Columbus, Athens, Augusta, Savannah and even Brunswick/ St. Simons/ Jekyll will get the nod over Macon. It will take way more than one 'tasteful' club to open in Macon for even the slightest of consideration.

But I hope you enjoy it all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2013, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta (Sandy Springs), by way of Macon, GA
2,014 posts, read 5,108,640 times
Reputation: 2089
Another chance to take a shot at Macon, I see. Midgeorgiaman simply acknowledged a former club in Macon being a nice place to have a drink with friends. What about that post warrants a left field reply about how all of Georgia's other major cities have better night life than Macon?

Give me a break. With the exception of Coastal Georgia and the beaches (Savannah, Brunkswick, etc), the nightlife in Georgia's mid-sized cities primarily serve their metro areas and the surrounding rural areas. That's it. Generally speaking, pretty much no one outside of the local area in each place is flocking to Macon, Columbus, Athens or Augusta just to check out the nightlife (unless they happen to be in town visiting, a college students, etc) let alone going to any of those cities and getting a hotel room just to do so. Please do not suggest that Macon's nightlife is just so abysmal that we're the "oddball out" when in reality, Savannah's nightlife is pretty much the only one of our mid-sized cities that someone outside of the local area would care enough about to actually spend the night and check out the scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top