Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,177,436 times

Advertisements

College Hill neighbors welcome lofts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 03:14 PM

Possible Macon city ordinance change could bring 'growlers' for beer drinking - 41 NBC News

Old 04-25-2014, 03:25 PM

While not really new development news,Mercer has just passed their budget and are planning to build a new 120,000 sq ft undergrad science building on the Macon campus.
Mercer University Trustees Approve Record Operating Budget, Authorize New Macon Undergraduate Sciences Building and Savannah Medical Education Facility

Old 04-25-2014, 03:33 PM

Caribbean restaurant opens in Ingleside Village

Old 05-02-2014, 04:06 PM

A taco restaurant may be coming to downtown Macon | Business | Macon.com

Old 05-13-2014, 03:27 PM

Macon-Bibb talks cleanup of riverfront project site | Politics | Macon.com

Old 05-14-2014, 12:11 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,438,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizellaJacket View Post
The Mid City Square sounds really nice and with 5000 employees at the Medical Center, I can see the apartment and extended stay hotel possibilities taking off soon.
I think it was a good idea, but not when they are forcing Wilson Electric out in order to do it.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:44 AM

Downtown Macon grocery to offer sneak peek at First Friday | Business | Macon.com

Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 PM

Lazy Dog Growler opening a new store in downtown Macon...
Lazy Dog Growler set to open Macon store

Old 06-22-2014, 01:41 AM

246 posts, read 499,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Because it is a majority black city and too many of our old black leaders are stuck in the 60s and still think race is the number one characteristic when it comes to voting and such and they demanded we have a civil rights museum here. They tried to raise money to finish it for 10 years and couldn't. ...so the same idiots held the last SPLOST hostage to get the money. Basically they were ready to defeat all of the good in the SPLOST unless they got the money to finish the Tubman boondoggle. They won that battle but I am still bitter. The tactics used to finish it are the same ones holding this city back. For that reason, the tubman museum symbolizes all that is dysfunctional in Macon. I will not support it or attend events there....EVER. I hope it is an epic fail.

I'm not opposed to an African-American museum per se, and I'd likely go to this one, but to name it after someone who had no physical presence or connection to the area is a bit of a non sequitur. Tubman herself was devoted to eliminating slavery and to giving women the right to be co-equals, and she was a giant in both areas. A totally amazing and commanding presence. Maybe a little bit eccentric, but definitely a force to be reckoned with.

As far as I can tell from the website, though, there's very little of her life depicted at the museum. Mostly it seems to revolve around some art, a gift shop, and a few inter-active events involving children. There does appear to be a "Local History" section; however, I'd wager it's not really the stuff that many people will drive miles to see, or return to.

No one is asking me, but if they did, I would have said make this a museum depicting what daily life was like for a slave living in central Georgia. Then carry that forward to life after Reconstruction, and how "Separate but Equal" became the norm. Follow this up with the civil-rights struggles of the 50's, 60's, and 70's, and carry forward again to the present. In other words, show the story of African-Americans in central Georgia...show how hard it was and why it was, and how it's changed, and is changing. Make it meaningful and give us a sense of History, make us feel what Life was like in those bygone eras, and how it's not that way anymore. It should be as meaningful, in its way, as a Holocaust museum.

Then you can try to sell me some cheesy souvenirs and t-shirts.

There are an abundance of African-American stories in this area that can be told, good stories, meaningful stories. The TAAM will have to try much harder if it wants to tell them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon