Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,128,161 times

Advertisements

Seems WR is really serious about redevelopment.
Board approves new look for old part of Warner Robins | Politics | Macon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 04:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,810,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I'd hold my enthusiasm for now. This is really too little, too late, and as the story clearly indicates, it will be a long and slow process as all the current properties are grandfathered in, if and until they decide to make any substantial changes.

The corridor’s look won’t change overnight. The city began changing the look when it built the Warner Robins Law Enforcement Center close to Ga. 247 and Robins Air Force Base. But other changes will come when new businesses are built or existing businesses make substantial changes, which will trigger requirements for the new standards. “It’s not a quick fix,” Mulkey said. “It’s a long-term solution. I think it’s a good start.”

If Warner Robbins officials were serious about this are
a, they would have sought to declare it a TAD district which would have been incentive for current property owners to invest and make improvements NOW! As it stands, this won't have much of a change at all.

Large parts of WR are ugly as hell and getting very run-down. As much as people like to brag on WR, the city has a lot of problems. I don't see how this fixes anything.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:32 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,239,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

If Warner Robbins officials were serious about this are[/i]a, they would have sought to declare it a TAD district which would have been incentive for current property owners to invest and make improvements NOW! As it stands, this won't have much of a change at all.

Large parts of WR are ugly as hell and getting very run-down. As much as people like to brag on WR, the city has a lot of problems. I don't see how this fixes anything.
I agree with you. Too little too late, but admitting there is a problem is the first step and it does seem that some in WR are starting to realize that much of the older part of town is rapidly falling into dissrepair...this is a good start, but much more needs to be done and I still dont think local leaders truly care. Growth, growth, growth....the motto of Warner Robins. Who cares if its smart growth? Haphazard growth today leads to empty strip malls and masses of rental cookie cutter houses in 20+ years...or north WR today. Someone down there needs to wake up.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:45 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,810,118 times
I drove through Warner Robins today on my way back to Savannah, as I occasionally do, just to see what was up.

Good lord. That town is uglier than ever.

I've made this observation before, but today it was especially striking. From I-75 all the way to City Circle, it's a cluttered, junkie, overbuilt mess. Even the new stuff in Centerville, which continues to go up at an amazing pace, is poorly planned. No setbacks. No landscaping. Signs, signs signs .... as far as the eye can see. I just don't get it. North Macon looks better than this!

And the closer you get into WR proper, the worse it gets. Abandoned strip malls. Vast, empty parking lots. Overgrown lots. Shuttered restaurants with faded "For Lease" signs. Pawn shops. I didn't have it in me to go north of Watson, but I can only imagine it gets worse.

Now, I know that all of the "nice" stuff is now south of there ... down Houston Lake Road, Russell Parkway, Hwy 96. But the old original part of town is hurting, bad. Are people in WR aware? Do they care? What is up with the leadership of that town?

Sorry for my rant ... I was just really shocked at how dumpy it looked, today anyway. And though I hate to make this comparison, it reminded me of parts of Clayton County, South Fulton and Dekalb. UGH!

Rather ironic that so many people in WR look down on Macon. There's no difference.

Last edited by Newsboy; 05-27-2014 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-29-2014, 06:16 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,239,150 times
I have been saying (along with others) that older WR is rapidly going to hell for years. I lived in that part of WR for a bit 10 years ago and it is noticeably worse today. It is not so far gone that it is hopeless, but if the city leaders don't get a handle on it, section 8 rentals and such will continue to overrun the older neighborhoods and the things that many in WR prize such as lower crime and good schools will go away as well.

Newsboy, your comparison to Clayton and Dekalb counties is spot on...

Old 07-06-2014, 10:52 AM

36 posts, read 37,526 times
Wow. Section 8 housing or low income apartments isn't ruining Warner Robins. These individuals on these programs deserve the same level of respect as individuals to receiving assistance. That's like saying cause of these program the city is going down.

I do agree certain parts of towns near the base, Watson, pleasant hill, and North Davis these homes needs to be rebuilt and established, but like everything else in life it comes with patience. I don't agree with all the new hotels being built in the Centerville area or all the empty mall strips being built or businesses and the closing of them in 6 months. That's just wasting money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon