Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 12:51 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,169,483 times

Advertisements

I think its good that Bibb County is exploring a county TSPLOST instead of a regional one. It will certainly help the county address dire transportation needs considering that half of the projected funds for the next 25 years will go toward the I-75/I-16 Interchange project. Also it allows Bibb not to be held hostage if you will by the likes of Houston County, which seems to like the go it alone approach.
Bibb commissioners to discuss exploring new T-SPLOST referendum | Politics | Macon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,916 times
I am open to a TSPLOST, but only if it is focused on smart projects. The last one was a bunch of things put together just to spend the money...not smart. I honestly doubt our elected officials can create a smart list free of wasteful things, but I am willing to listen.

As far as Houston voting it down in mass last time...I dont blame them. The last TSPLOST was not Houston friendly and was basically a way to get the 75-16 interchange built with sales tax money. That interchange is a whole other issue, but it is a disastrous monstrosity that is hugely wasteful and overbuilt. Second, you are correct though in Houston preferring to go it alone. Houston is the good ole boy ultra conservative family town and many there want nothing to with the more diverse, socially and religiously liberal Bibb.

I doubt any TSPLOST would pass in Houston. Lots of Tea Party folks there. Case in point...when I lived there Houston County High had been open a few years, but there were no sidewalks for the children to use on Hwy 96. The kids walked in the dirt along a major highway. I can understand being fiscally conservative and Bibb could use some lessons, but being too cheap to build sidewalks in a school zone is a bit ridiculous. Maybe there is more to that story that I am unaware of, but I find it absurd and regardless of the politics, that is ridiculous. I hear it has been fixed now, but sheesh. I lived near the park behind Northside Middle and weeds grew through the cracked tennis courts and the park was rarely used because it was in disrepair. My taxes were really low on my house there, but I wouldve paid more for sidewalks and parks...it is a different mentality down there as far as public services and taxes go.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 12-28-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 05:43 PM

70 posts, read 60,577 times
they keep on wanting more splost. what i hate about them is they put something on there then it gets removed for something dumb. they keep saying they r going to expand the runway at the airport.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:13 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
I am open to a TSPLOST, but only if it is focused on smart projects. The last one was a bunch of things put together just to spend the money...not smart. I honestly doubt our elected officials can create a smart list free of wasteful things, but I am willing to listen.
I agree with this. The TSPLOST was really a referendum designed to benefit Metro Atlanta, which needed it most. But for whatever reason, the legislature thought that the whole state should be allowed to benefit in some way -- even when many areas of the state had no pressing transportation needs. End result: It passed in three districts that really didn't need it, and failed in the one that did (Metro ATL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
As far as Houston voting it down in mass last time...I dont blame them. The last TSPLOST was not Houston friendly and was basically a way to get the 75-16 interchange built with sales tax money. That interchange is a whole other issue, but it is a disastrous monstrosity that is hugely wasteful and overbuilt. Second, you are correct though in Houston preferring to go it alone. Houston is the good ole boy ultra conservative family town and many there want nothing to with the more diverse, socially and religiously liberal Bibb.

I doubt any TSPLOST would pass in Houston. Lots of Tea Party folks there. Case in point...when I lived there Houston County High had been open a few years, but there were no sidewalks for the children to use on Hwy 96. The kids walked in the dirt along a major highway. I can understand being fiscally conservative and Bibb could use some lessons, but being too cheap to build sidewalks in a school zone is a bit ridiculous. Maybe there is more to that story that I am unaware of, but I find it absurd and regardless of the politics, that is ridiculous. I hear it has been fixed now, but sheesh. I lived near the park behind Northside Middle and weeds grew through the cracked tennis courts and the park was rarely used because it was in disrepair. My taxes were really low on my house there, but I wouldve paid more for sidewalks and parks...it is a different mentality down there as far as public services and taxes go.
See my post in THIS thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/macon...-old-part.html

Warner Robins is a dump.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,534,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I agree with this. The TSPLOST was really a referendum designed to benefit Metro Atlanta, which needed it most. But for whatever reason, the legislature thought that the whole state should be allowed to benefit in some way -- even when many areas of the state had no pressing transportation needs. End result: It passed in three districts that really didn't need it, and failed in the one that did (Metro ATL).

See my post in THIS thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/macon...-old-part.html

Warner Robins is a dump.
So is Macon (Downtown that is)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: