Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 04:45 PM

177 posts, read 221,532 times

Advertisements

I love your dodge and play on words Mayor...."Crime has dropped double digits in Macon"...ROTFLMBO....Dropped from what??LOL

And what citizen would worry about going on federal property??! That had to be one of the dumbest statements you have made Mayor....Only a criminal or muslim extremist would worry about being on federal government property......You are telling on yourselfl!!!!LOL

I have told you...you think I`m a child, thats fine. I have given you my number and told you I would meet you any where you like....even in the ghetto where you live...LOL.....
I can afford new rims and a stereo........LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 10:47 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peelo View Post
Man...you people either live in a bomb shelter and never come out, or you are just a bunch of liars, or you just choose not to see what a dump that town is.

I cant stand to see you two (Mayor and Yerocal) lie to unsuspecting people about Macon. I noticed neither of you posted the crime statistics that was in your own paper!!!! Hell no you didnt...because that tells the truth....you guys always want to paint this wonderful picture, and its just a lie.
I never said that Macon did not have a crime problem what city doesn't, I rather focus of whats positive and try to comment on what is relative to the topic; obviously you don't because you are so busy bashing Macon and trying to dig for any ammo you can find to shoot down anything good said about Macon, that not anyones problem that you hate Macon, that sounds like you have a personal issue; which shows a true reflection of your character. There is no reason why i should have to lie about any thing going on in Macon because it not putting any cash in my pockets..... Also you try to bring out the dump about Macon, tell us about all the dumps and crack heads in W. Robins because there just as many as there are in Macon, and any other city or town..... But that not what the topic is about, its about " Macon! The new Atlanta suburb" Which is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN any time soon, Because like you said about Dublin, Macon holds it own and next time, please try to stay on topic ......Because we can care less about your negative comments, tell us something we all would like to hear.... Oh i forgot you have a deficiency is trying to stay positive and informative. especially when it involves MACON!!!!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 04:58 AM

12 posts, read 58,682 times
I think the crack heads are only on 2 streets in warner robins. And there side by side. But I have seen crack heads all over macon walking the street. Not so much on Riverside. But thats the only place I havn't seen them. Houston County is the fastest growing county in Georgia I think.I think its because people want to live close to Macon for all the things you can do in Macon. But they dont wanna live there. But one day in my opinion, they wont even wanna go to Macon. Warner robins and Perry are growing so fast that one day they will emerge. In my opinion, there will be more to do in Houston County then Macon.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:04 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
As a resident of a nearby town, I will throw my two cents in here. I do not go to Macon unless it is absolutely necessary. I live 40 miles southwest of Macon and can find almost everything I need without venturing into the crime pit of Georgia. I have lived in Atlanta, I have traveled for work into every other large town/city in the state. None others compare to Macon. In fact, I have lived and traveled all over the southeastern part of the U.S. and short of the Miami area I cannot think of a more ugly, crime ridden part of the southeast. Now do not get me wrong, there are nice parts of Macon. Very nice in fact. But as a whole, from an non-biased view, the place sux bogwater.
Before someone jumps in and tries to defend her (Macon) honor, I want to mention that I grew up in Gary, Indiana. My father was murdered there. I spent some time in East St. Louis. Those two places were at one time number one and number two in murders per capita. I have seen crime ridden areas. I have seen some of the worst slums of my life just three miles from all those sea side estates in West Palm Beach (vacation homes for the rich and famous). If someone drives through Macon and does not see an armpit they are wearing blinders.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:32 AM

178 posts, read 499,513 times
Here we go again, with the exaggerations. Not counting the entire country, plenty of cities in the southeast mirror or exceed Macon in Crime. Birmingham,Augusta,Columbus,Savannah,Albany,Montgo mery,Memphis,Port Arthur,N. Charleston,Durham,Shreveport, I mean really must I go on?

In any urban southern city there are some really rotten parts.
As I have said before, If you stay out of the crime ridden parts of town, then more than likely you will be ok. I dont feel any less safe in Macon than I did in a city with a much more progressive and safe "reputation" like Huntsville, Alabama. Why? Because I avoided the bad areas in both, but of course the bad can come into the nice areas anywhere.

When I was in Huntsville, Alabama, "Car Shows" and Huge gatherings would pop up in random parking lots and gas stations, and as soon as the police shut it down the crowd would move there and go on to another spot, and so on. Fights would break out.

I dont even see these things in Macon, not unless its some club on the weekend and it doesnt move from spot to spot to spot to spot after being shut down. Again, this is in a city with much better rep than Macon.

Last edited by brentyoung12; 05-10-2008 at 11:52 AM..

Old 05-10-2008, 11:46 AM

People act like they havent saw or live pretty close to a sizeable ghetto, thugs, gangsters, rims, crackheads until they got to Macon.

If someone moved from lets say Vermont or even NE Georgia, I would at least know where they are coming from with their rants against Macon, because it would be a big difference from where they originally came from.

But all of these guys from other parts of GA that arent NORTH of ATL with so much bad to say about Macon is laughable. There is enough ghetto in pretty much every NON extreme north georgia county to be seen on the streets daily.

lol folks are acting like they never saw a congregation of thugs walking through a Dublin or Warner Robins gas station, wal-mart, or mall on a regular basis, Gimmie a break.

Last edited by brentyoung12; 05-10-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-10-2008, 12:01 PM

I mentioned this before but it is the funniest thing on this site to me.
I tell ya, its the SAME FORMULA everytime.

Anybody who has any personal issues with a town will make up a story of how ironically/concidentally they, and a million of their family members, have been burglarized or car jacked individually in that city.

They go on to tell you how the city is in the top 5 for crime or always compare it Detroit or some other places that is generally in the top 5.

Wolf Daddy, knows that was complete BULL. When has Macon been in the Top 5?

Old 05-10-2008, 12:05 PM

This guy Peelo is also a hypocrite. Why is it that you have a problem with Mayor and Yerocal so called misleading people by telling 1 side of a story about Macon (The good) when you do the exact same thing about the negative. You're doing just as much misleading as you claim them to be.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:07 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
Here we go again, with the exaggerations.
With all due respect, I have no reason to exaggerate. I have nothing to gain or lose in this, I simply offered my opinion. I have spent time in nearly every single city you listed and still stand by my original post. Can you say the same?
True story. My camera club is working on a project, "Historic Macon", a calender. I parked downtown, put on my camera-loaded backpack and started walking. I walked for nearly an hour and saw nothing but decay. I finally gave up and went into a bar and had a beer. I finally took out my camera when I saw a cool glass full of marbles that was lit by neon. Other than that, I saw no history, just decay and ruin. On the other hand, I filled a 2gb flash card both in Savannah and Charleston. I filled it half again walking around downtown Tifton. Heck, even Hawkinsville got twenty pictures. Take away the Hay House (say hay) and the story about a murdering eatery owner and Macon ain't got nuthin'.
Nothing personal, but you need to get away from that place and see for yourself. Instead of trying to fix downtown (not unlike many urban areas) everything is going north. There is a reason for that. But, as a whole, the place is no vacation destination.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Bulldawgfan
The fact that you found more historic things to take pictures of in Charleston and Savannah is not surprising, they have more history than Macon. It still does not take away from the fact they are as dangerous if not more dangerous and ghetto, than Macon.

for you to say Macon "aint got nuthin"
I'm pretty sure your town "40 miles SW of Macon" has much less. What utopian place 40 miles SW of Macon would that be exactly?

I use my experience from the places I HAVE been, and what I can say is there is pretty much enough good and enough bad in EACH, for someone to ONLY talk about the positive or negative to try and display the views of a city they WANT you to have.

What my experience shows me is that in almost all of these towns, WHEN IT COMES TO CRAPPY AREAS and GHETTOS, I see the same things.

Good bit of nice sections, good bit of bad sections. Avoid the bad. I mean I see people complaining about malls. I dont know one large or mid-sized southern city that doesnt have a nice sized amount of "thugs" lurking around their malls on the weekend.

My overall point is not that Macon is heaven. No FAR FAR FAR from it.
My point is that Macon is not as bad as being made by some of you, and in many cases similar to several other places that even have nicer repuatations. I'm speaking in terms of the crappy areas and ghettos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon