Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 12:46 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
I drive it DAILY and know it well. I will admit I am bitter over the strong armed tactics of the GDOT. When our historic neighborhood brought forth plans to minimize the impact on things we were met with a "new plan" that moved the interchange to go THROUGH our neighborhood and involved tearing down homes while the GDOT rep presenting it just smirked. I will never as long as I shall live trust those SOBs after the way they behaved. It was the most unprofessional and abusive display of government I have ever seen and I am a pretty laid back sort of guy. It was despicable.

Anyway, I agree the interchange needs work. I just think a mere 8 lanes would have sufficed and the proposed traffic counts prove it. How dare anyone question the DOT and the fat cats who stand to profit off of a supersized freeway. No, I dont believe it was good foresight to prepare for future traffic, if the GDOT worked that way then I75 from Macon to Atlanta would already be 4 lanes each way. It is a money grab--pure and simple.

I will stop now. As I said it is rare for me to get this animated as I am not one who typically holds grudges, but I learned a good lesson on this one--if anyone from the DOT comes to a public meeting with you to discuss improvements...lawyer up, shut up, and prepare for war with the dirtiest shadiest people you will ever meet!

If the GDOT ever comes to Savannah to fix things and I hope they do, I just hope they do y'all better than us... Just be forewarned that their "proposals" are not thoughts open for criticism, but invitations to spend millions or billions and those who stand to profit will not allow changes without a fight, just sayin'. You have been duly notified.
Sigh. You have my sympathies. Which neighborhood are you talking about? I thought most of the concern was about predominantly black neighborhoods on the I 75 south part of the project. After looking at the maps, now I see that a bunch of new lanes (and bridges) will sweep east before crossing the river?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2015, 06:10 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Sigh. You have my sympathies. Which neighborhood are you talking about? I thought most of the concern was about predominantly black neighborhoods on the I 75 south part of the project. After looking at the maps, now I see that a bunch of new lanes (and bridges) will sweep east before crossing the river?
Shirley Hills along the river on the east side just upstream. The higher elevation of the new road will increase noise levels significantly throughout parts of our neighborhood and the 14 lanes will serve as an increased barrier between us and downtown. It is a monstrosity that we have come to terms with. It will happen and I suppose the upside will be it should look a whole lot better and be safer so I recognize the positives even if I disagree with the scale.

One day my anger with the GDOT will fade...one day. Until then, I feel better letting loose on them occasionally.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:50 PM

909 posts, read 545,397 times
This will be Macon's first spaghetti junction of an interchange. While the city of Atlanta is currently working on their second. Which will consist of I 285 north and Georgia 400. It is expected to cost one billion dollars and is the highest costing project in GDOT history.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:26 PM

841 posts, read 1,402,267 times
Macon-Bibb I-16/I-75 split to receive $122 million in repairs

Macon-Bibb I-16/I-75 split to receive $122 million in repairs - 41 NBC News

Old 01-20-2016, 06:44 PM

212 posts, read 239,203 times
It's definitely needed! Recently went down to Perry from Augusta for an All-State Band Audition (7th Chair Trumpet ) and was horrified by how old and outdated the interchange was. That entire area of highway definitely needs to be redone!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:14 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Macon-Bibb I-16/I-75 split to receive $122 million in repairs

Macon-Bibb I-16/I-75 split to receive $122 million in repairs - 41 NBC News
I'm confused. Why would they repair the split when they're about to tear up rebuild the entire intersection?!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:56 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I'm confused. Why would they repair the split when they're about to tear up rebuild the entire intersection?!
That $122 million figure from the NBC 41 article will cover the first three phases of the I-75/I-16 interchange rebuild. The first three phases will get underway this fall and will cover I-75 South of the interchange to Hardeman Ave and I-16 to Coliseum Dr. The project is being done in six phases with completion expected in 2024.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:59 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Has anyone heard what the official Start date for this project will be this year??

Old 07-12-2016, 07:00 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Has anyone heard what the official Start date for this project will be this year??
Not a peep. True GDOT fashion.... they win just show up one day I suppose. The i16i75.Com webpage hasn't been updated since April.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:11 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times
From the latest GDOT project letting forecast, the project will be let in September. As far as a start date though, I'm not sure. Here's a pdf of GDOT's letting schedule.
http://www.dot.ga.gov/PartnerSmart/B...July122016.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon