Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 11:26 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times

Advertisements

I know the phrase "North Macon" rubs some people the wrong way, seeing as how since consolidation all of Bibb County is now Macon. But I don't know how else to refer to the area up there around Bass Road?

Anyway, here's my questions: yesterday on the way back to Savannah from Atlanta, I stopped off in Juliette for some fried green tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Then, instead of getting back on the intestate, I took US 23 / Riverside Drive all the way into town just to see what was going on. That was the first time I've ever driven north of the Shoppes at Riverside, and I was surprised at how much development there was up that way. For some reason, I had it in my mind there wasn't much up there once you got past Dillard's and the road narrows to 2 lanes.

I was impressed by the number of really nice residential neighborhoods. Also I was surprised to see quite a few large and modern professional office buildings scattered about the countryside very haphazardly. I mean, these were nice buildings just ploppeed out there. Of course, I knew there were similar buildings at the Bass and Arkwright road exits of I-75. But what's the reason for these other offices to be so far off the interstate? It's not like they were part of office parks or larger developments. Seems like really bad zoning and planning to me. What is the greater long-range plan or bigger vision for that part of Macon if there is one?

Also, while the Shoppes at Riverside is certainly upscale and impressive, the area immediately around there seems lacking. I'm wondering if plans for more were not stalled because of the recession?

As to the road network: I drove through there about 4:30 in the afternoon and traffic was bumper-to-bumper in all directions. I understand the traffic circle is planned for the intersection of Arkwright and Bass, and it seems fairly obvious why. Horrible intersection! But what they really need to do is go ahead and widen 23 all the way to Weslyan Drive.

Also, it appeared to me that a traffic circle is also under construction at US 23 / GA 18 in Monroe County? Is this right? Traffic was backed up at that intersection as well and I could easily see how a traffic circle can improve things immensely.

I'm more familiar with the Bass Road exit and the stretch of development south of there. Are there any plans to widen Bass to US 41? It's way overdue!

Whistle Stop Cafe is fantastic BTW. Best fried green tomatoes I've ever had!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 12:17 PM

909 posts, read 545,397 times
Bass Road is supposed to be widen from it's current two lanes to four lanes with a median. From Zebulon Road to the Arkwright Road intersection. Also Bowman Road is supposed to get widen. These two busy roads are being considered for discussion and further details to be added to the 2016 Splost to do list.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 PM

148 posts, read 149,938 times
The Recession did halt the plans they had. Money dried up. Now that we are out of that developers have several site plans with much to offer for North Macon
There are 3 potential developments that are pretty far along in planning from what I understand
1) North Macon Promenade
North Macon Promenade | Lennar Commercial

2) Providence Village
LoopNet - Providence Commercial Village, Commercial/Other (land), 1540 Bass Road, Macon, GA

Old 01-27-2016, 11:51 PM

3) Riverside Center at bass and new Forsyth.. Including a movie theatre
Large shopping center, movie theater proposed for north Bibb County | The Telegraph

Old 01-28-2016, 07:55 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconfinance View Post
3) Riverside Center at bass and new Forsyth.. Including a movie theatre
Large shopping center, movie theater proposed for north Bibb County | The Telegraph
Isn't that where the new traffic circle is going?

Old 01-28-2016, 10:43 AM

That is my understanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon