Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 AM

845 posts, read 1,412,194 times

Advertisements

A Florida-based manufacturer plans to open a facility in Macon.

Guard Buildings LLC, which manufactures industrial modular shelters, is planning to open a 23,000-square-foot manufacturing facility, according to a news release from the Macon Economic Development Commission. This will be the Tallahassee, Florida-based company’s third manufacturing plant.

The company, which plans to make a $2 million investment, expects to hire 25 workers initially, the release said.

Read more here: Florida-based Guard Buildings plans to open a manufacturing plant in Macon, Georgia | The Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 09:34 AM

71 posts, read 58,077 times
Someone has a thread called Georgia's most progressive cities poll, but Macon isn't on the list(smh). In the last couple of years I honestly don't think any Georgia city outside of Atlanta can compare to the progress Macon has made. To me it seems that the more people ignore, dislike or doubt Macon the more it's blossoming. Go Macon! Construction is strong, the economy is strong and the housing market is strong.The only thing I see as a baffling factor is the school system. Who's to blame; the BOE, the kids or the parents? (Not seeking an answer; just saying). Back to the thread--business in Macon is good and due to the location, Macon will attract even more regional distribution centers seeking to avoid the traffic and congestion of Atlanta, but still within an hours drive of Atlanta.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDogTheArtist View Post
Someone has a thread called Georgia's most progressive cities poll, but Macon isn't on the list(smh). In the last couple of years I honestly don't think any Georgia city outside of Atlanta can compare to the progress Macon has made. To me it seems that the more people ignore, dislike or doubt Macon the more it's blossoming. Go Macon! Construction is strong, the economy is strong and the housing market is strong.The only thing I see as a baffling factor is the school system. Who's to blame; the BOE, the kids or the parents? (Not seeking an answer; just saying). Back to the thread--business in Macon is good and due to the location, Macon will attract even more regional distribution centers seeking to avoid the traffic and congestion of Atlanta, but still within an hours drive of Atlanta.
I totally agree, Macon is seeing a lot of progression. People tend to doubt or down play the city for what reasons I'm not sure. They have always done that on here..... Downtown Macon has made some serious positive turn around. Mercer University, along with Navicent-Medical Center, NewtownMacon, public and private investors are pouring millions of dollars of new development and residential projects DT Macon.

A proposed new $50 million commercial development in downtown
The proposed $25 million Lofts at Capricorn project would be built in the same block where the Capricorn Records building.
Lofts at Mercer University
LOFTS AT BASS Phase I & II
LOFTS AT COLLEGE HILL
LOFTS AT MERCER LANDING
LOFTS AT COLLEGE HILL
LOFTS AT NAVICENT
LOFTS AT TATTNALL
LOFTS AT MERCER VILLAGE

The $30 million project, Lofts at Zebulon, would be built on about 25 acres between 5801 and 5885 Zebulon Road.

The zoning commission is set to address two rezoning requests bringing two large developments to north Bibb County

A new 314,000-square-foot development with a mix of big box and smaller retailers, restaurants and a hotel is planned off Macon’s Bass Road

ATLANTA, February 9, 2016 – The Georgia Department of Economic Development’s Tourism division announced today that Macon-Bibb County is experiencing a tourism development renaissance with six new tourism projects investing more than $50 million in the community.

The new tourism developments include:

Exchange Block Project: a new hotel development in downtown Macon that will be the largest in decades ($50 million) and will encompass an entire block. The mixed-use development will include at least one hotel with about 120 rooms, apartments with 120 to 140 units, retail shops, a restaurant and a multi-level parking garage with about 575 spaces;

Historic Capricorn Studios: the historic structure will be preserved and returned to its original use as a multi-purpose music incubator;

Hotel-Restaurant Development: new hotel and restaurant development on Mercer University’s Macon Campus will include a Marriott TownePlace Suites with 95 rooms, as well as a new restaurant and shopping complex (the hotel is set to open in fall 2016);

Sandy Beach Water Park: a 10-acre water park fit with a wave pool, double slide tower, lazy river, kids splash pad, multipurpose family pool, and more. The new water park will bring 100 new jobs to the area. (partial opening occurred in 2015, with its completed format in May 2016);

Tubman Museum: the newly opened museum is in a new 49,000 square foot home, making it the largest museum in the Southeast devoted to African American art, history, and culture;

Improved Amerson River Park: a $5.4 million renovation added new amenities to the popular park including a canoe/kayak take-out, 3 ½ miles of paved trails, two new pavilions, new entrance gate and added parking (opened in July 2015).

Per the Middle Georgia Regional Airport, Should have two airlines by the end of the year; One target to offer direct flights to DC.

North Macon is exploding in growth and retail development.

DCs are locating in the area left and right.... Kumho Tires just open a HUGE manufacturing plant.

Over the last few years, Macon gained Kohls, Bass Pro, Hill shire Farms (Sara Lee) & Tractor Supply DC.

These are just to name a few....

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 09-14-2016 at 03:33 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 09:05 PM

71 posts, read 58,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
I totally agree, Macon is seeing a lot of progression. People tend to doubt or down play the city for what reasons I'm not sure. They have always done that on here..... Downtown Macon has made some serious positive turn around. Mercer University, along with Navicent-Medical Center, NewtownMacon, public and private investors are pouring millions of dollars of new development and residential projects DT Macon.

A proposed new $50 million commercial development in downtown
The proposed $25 million Lofts at Capricorn project would be built in the same block where the Capricorn Records building.
Lofts at Mercer University
LOFTS AT BASS Phase I & II
LOFTS AT COLLEGE HILL
LOFTS AT MERCER LANDING
LOFTS AT COLLEGE HILL
LOFTS AT NAVICENT
LOFTS AT TATTNALL
LOFTS AT MERCER VILLAGE

The $30 million project, Lofts at Zebulon, would be built on about 25 acres between 5801 and 5885 Zebulon Road.

The zoning commission is set to address two rezoning requests bringing two large developments to north Bibb County

A new 314,000-square-foot development with a mix of big box and smaller retailers, restaurants and a hotel is planned off Macon’s Bass Road

ATLANTA, February 9, 2016 – The Georgia Department of Economic Development’s Tourism division announced today that Macon-Bibb County is experiencing a tourism development renaissance with six new tourism projects investing more than $50 million in the community.

The new tourism developments include:

Exchange Block Project: a new hotel development in downtown Macon that will be the largest in decades ($50 million) and will encompass an entire block. The mixed-use development will include at least one hotel with about 120 rooms, apartments with 120 to 140 units, retail shops, a restaurant and a multi-level parking garage with about 575 spaces;

Historic Capricorn Studios: the historic structure will be preserved and returned to its original use as a multi-purpose music incubator;

Hotel-Restaurant Development: new hotel and restaurant development on Mercer University’s Macon Campus will include a Marriott TownePlace Suites with 95 rooms, as well as a new restaurant and shopping complex (the hotel is set to open in fall 2016);

Sandy Beach Water Park: a 10-acre water park fit with a wave pool, double slide tower, lazy river, kids splash pad, multipurpose family pool, and more. The new water park will bring 100 new jobs to the area. (partial opening occurred in 2015, with its completed format in May 2016);

Tubman Museum: the newly opened museum is in a new 49,000 square foot home, making it the largest museum in the Southeast devoted to African American art, history, and culture;

Improved Amerson River Park: a $5.4 million renovation added new amenities to the popular park including a canoe/kayak take-out, 3 ½ miles of paved trails, two new pavilions, new entrance gate and added parking (opened in July 2015).

Per the Middle Georgia Regional Airport, Should have two airlines by the end of the year; One target to offer direct flights to DC.

North Macon is exploding in growth and retail development.

DCs are locating in the area left and right.... Kumho Tires just open a HUGE manufacturing plant.

Over the last few years, Macon gained Kohls, Bass Pro, Hill shire Farms (Sara Lee) & Tractor Supply DC.

These are just to name a few....
I know right...then people don't seem to grasp the scope of the Sardis Church Rd. project; maybe if it was hi-way, parkway or boulevard it might get more attention. This road and surrounding developments will fill in some of the wasteland gap between Macon & WR. and establish a 4 lane thoroughfare with a green median in extreme south Macon/Bibb with a tunnel under a runway connecting I-75 with Hwy 247. The airport has 2 new carriers that seem to have popped up out of nowhere & 1 with booked flights already. It seems like once a month a new company is coming to Macon and Mercer, Mercer, Mercer oh my.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDogTheArtist View Post
I know right...then people don't seem to grasp the scope of the Sardis Church Rd. project; maybe if it was hi-way, parkway or boulevard it might get more attention. This road and surrounding developments will fill in some of the wasteland gap between Macon & WR. and establish a 4 lane thoroughfare with a green median in extreme south Macon/Bibb with a tunnel under a runway connecting I-75 with Hwy 247. The airport has 2 new carriers that seem to have popped up out of nowhere & 1 with booked flights already. It seems like once a month a new company is coming to Macon and Mercer, Mercer, Mercer oh my.
Exactly.... I forgot about the plans for the Tunnel and Runway extension... The airport manager said the there is a lot of interest in the airport. Sardis Church rd... YES I believe it's going to be a big hit for the area... That whole little tri-county area, WR/Byron/South Bibb ( Sardis & hartley Bridge Rds) is targeted area for growth... Mercer is really investing deep in Downtown Macon, I can't wait to how DT Macon will look in 5 years.... Ppl sleep on Macon.... I have always said Macon is a Diamond in the ruff and it seem like that diamond is about to start shining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon