Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:46 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,195,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The next special purpose local option sales tax will pay for numerous projects, ranging from recreation to storm-water repairs. It will go into effect in April 2018.

The referendum passed 34,748 votes to 22,155 votes, or 61 percent to 39 percent, according to unofficial election results.

Elections officials were still counting about 4,000 absentee ballots late Tuesday night.

Officials have spent the last several months campaigning for the tax they said is instrumental in the county’s financial future.

Mayor Robert Reichert said he was pleased with the outcome.

“I think this sets a wonderful tone for the next four years,” he said Tuesday night.

The current $190 million SPLOST, approved by voters in 2011, ends on March 30, 2018. There will be a couple major differences between the current and future penny-on-the-dollar sales tax.

Macon-Bibb County officials have created a list of projects but not assigned a specific dollar amount, thus providing more leeway on how much money is spent on them. The tax would also be collected until the full amount comes in. The current collections have a six-year window.

“The SPLOST will benefit all the citizens of Macon-Bibb County in ways the general fund just cannot provide,” Commissioner Larry Schlesinger said. “It’s really a gift of major projects we have voted to support.”

Macon-Bibb County officials will have a retreat in January to discuss the SPLOST and how to manage a projected shortfall in collections for this round.

The new SPLOST will cover courthouse renovations — to the tune of an estimated $40 million — that were mandated for completion by a judge.

Read more here: Macon-Bibb County, GA voters pass $280 million SPLOST | The Telegraph
Macon-Bibb County, GA voters pass $280 million SPLOST | The Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 07:53 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,195,698 times
This will be good for Macon. It also bodes well for the future TSPLOST vote in 2017 or 2018.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:58 AM

2,428 posts, read 2,495,830 times
This is Great, but my question is are there specified Funds for Transit in this?

Old 11-09-2016, 11:16 AM

70 posts, read 60,816 times
my question is why did they drop expanding the runway. i saw this coming. happens all the time. they drop something for there pet projects. then next time a splost vote comes up they will put it on there again. u wait they will put another splost next year or they will raise taxes either way they will get there money for what they want to do. which is a shame

Old 11-09-2016, 01:11 PM

846 posts, read 1,415,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipspeed View Post
my question is why did they drop expanding the runway. i saw this coming. happens all the time. they drop something for there pet projects. then next time a splost vote comes up they will put it on there again. u wait they will put another splost next year or they will raise taxes either way they will get there money for what they want to do. which is a shame
They did not drop the Extension for the runway project.. Where did you get that from??? It included in the Roads/bridges/transportation: $35 million portion. Plus the state is paying for a large portion of it.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:27 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,272,546 times
This is great news.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:45 PM

71 posts, read 58,183 times
I don't keep up with other cities, but Macon has to be at the top when it comes to recent & future progress in Georgia. And I see more and more out of state tags of new comers to Macon. In the past month I've meet or encountered new residents from Ny, Ca, Pa, In, Or and even Alaska. Macon is doing big things.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:26 PM

846 posts, read 1,415,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDogTheArtist View Post
I don't keep up with other cities, but Macon has to be at the top when it comes to recent & future progress in Georgia. And I see more and more out of state tags of new comers to Macon. In the past month I've meet or encountered new residents from Ny, Ca, Pa, In, Or and even Alaska. Macon is doing big things.
I saw an article on the AJC-Which small cities in Georgia are among the best in America? This may be why more people are desiring Macon.

The small cities in the Peach State that made the list:

91 percentile Kennesaw
91 percentile Alpharetta
78 percentile Marietta
77 percentile Johns Creek
76 percentile Milton
74 percentile Peachtree City
68 percentile Smyrna
60 percentile Roswell
55 percentile Lawrenceville
52 percentile Duluth
42 percentile Newnan
38 percentile Dunwoody
36 percentile Gainesville
26 percentile Hinesville
25 percentile Douglasville
25 percentile Sandy Springs
22 percentile Evans
22 percentile Dalton
21 percentile Warner Robins
18 percentile Rome
17 percentile Statesboro
14 percentile LaGrange
13percentile Martinez
9 percentile Stockbridge
7 percentile Tucker
6 percentile Macon
5 percentile Mableton
2 percentile East Point
1 percentile Albany
1 percentile Valdosta
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-the-best.html

Old 11-10-2016, 01:12 PM

2,428 posts, read 2,495,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
I saw an article on the AJC-Which small cities in Georgia are among the best in America? This may be why more people are desiring Macon.

The small cities in the Peach State that made the list:

91 percentile Kennesaw
91 percentile Alpharetta
78 percentile Marietta
77 percentile Johns Creek
76 percentile Milton
74 percentile Peachtree City
68 percentile Smyrna
60 percentile Roswell
55 percentile Lawrenceville
52 percentile Duluth
42 percentile Newnan
38 percentile Dunwoody
36 percentile Gainesville
26 percentile Hinesville
25 percentile Douglasville
25 percentile Sandy Springs
22 percentile Evans
22 percentile Dalton
21 percentile Warner Robins
18 percentile Rome
17 percentile Statesboro
14 percentile LaGrange
13percentile Martinez
9 percentile Stockbridge
7 percentile Tucker
6 percentile Macon
5 percentile Mableton
2 percentile East Point
1 percentile Albany
1 percentile Valdosta
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-the-best.html

I guess,,, but I don't exactly see Macon as a small City. Above 100,000 residents and doesn't really fit in the range. More mid sized maybe, in the Category with Augusta and Columbus...Confused

Old 11-10-2016, 02:11 PM

70 posts, read 60,816 times
sorry my bad didnt see it mentioned in the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon