Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 12:43 AM

148 posts, read 149,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Visited the Macon-Warner Robins area this weekend and I have be honest, I feel a whole new vibe and life about the City, something I haven't felt before, especially in the intown areas close to Downtown. I was so surprised by the new Feel and growth of the City and it's no doubt the City is going through a Transformation unlike anything I have ever saw before. For once the City doesn't feel like a Time warp to the Past Southern City of slow hum drum boredom. Every city I go to and have visited gives off a Feeling and Macon is starting to give that feel of Growth and Optimism. If the city can ever get is Transit System in order and ran through out the entire the City-County, Update the aging Bus Shelters and do away with those Cutaway Buses, I think the City would be on a Massive roll. Some once really need to keep Heat on the Macon Transit Authority (MTA) and its director. I think they get entirely too much slack and run the system poorly.
hreat to hear that from someone they hasn't been downtown Macon for a little while. Downtown Macon is creating its own unique vibe and sense of home and culture. Great place. This fall there will be around 190 more lofts completed..that'll bring in so many more residents and further growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 10:07 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maconfinance View Post
hreat to hear that from someone they hasn't been downtown Macon for a little while. Downtown Macon is creating its own unique vibe and sense of home and culture. Great place. This fall there will be around 190 more lofts completed..that'll bring in so many more residents and further growth.
Indeed, also don't forget that the Exchange Block project will get underway next year as well. It will add another 87 apartments.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:17 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
You right Macon has been seeing a lot growth and development in recent years all over the Macon-Bibb County. I think there will be some change in population. I hope its a large increase... Macon is also getting a lot national recognition.. And its becoming a hot sport for filming.

Expedia.com lists Macon in "15 Best Places to Experience American Culture"

Mercer ranked among nation’s best universities (Macon: 2015, credit)

Which small cities in Georgia are among the best in America?
http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...-the-best.html
Most of those small "cities" are suburbs. I'd like to see a list of best small cities in America that are not suburbs.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:23 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Most of those small "cities" are suburbs. I'd like to see a list of best small cities in America that are not suburbs.
Still think they used Macon's pre Consolidation population because all these Cities are below 100,000. So technically Macon doesn't fit in this small cities catagory

Old 12-23-2016, 07:02 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
There has been lots of progress especially around downtown/Mercer and North Macon, However, there has been little improvement and even decline in some other areas. I don't think there will be any to little population growth in the 2020 census. Areas of intown and North Macon will show growth, but west and south Macon will continue to show losses. It will probably even out. The largest hindrance to growth is our school system. There have been improvements over the past few years, but it is a slow process. I still see the revolving door in my neighborhood. Young couples buy and then have kids and have to make "the choice". Private or move. Most move. It is sad and for many neighborhoods other than North Macon or Sub-south---that is the reality. We need more options for families especially at the middle and high school level so they don't feel as though they must move. Plus this would improve property values. My home would be worth double it's present value in Howard's zone or south Monroe County compared to its present location. That is true for large swaths of our city's homes. There are lots of nice homes across Macon that people would jump on if they believed in the schools.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:51 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,163,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
There has been lots of progress especially around downtown/Mercer and North Macon, However, there has been little improvement and even decline in some other areas. I don't think there will be any to little population growth in the 2020 census. Areas of intown and North Macon will show growth, but west and south Macon will continue to show losses. It will probably even out. The largest hindrance to growth is our school system. There have been improvements over the past few years, but it is a slow process. I still see the revolving door in my neighborhood. Young couples buy and then have kids and have to make "the choice". Private or move. Most move. It is sad and for many neighborhoods other than North Macon or Sub-south---that is the reality. We need more options for families especially at the middle and high school level so they don't feel as though they must move. Plus this would improve property values. My home would be worth double it's present value in Howard's zone or south Monroe County compared to its present location. That is true for large swaths of our city's homes. There are lots of nice homes across Macon that people would jump on if they believed in the schools.

I concur with your assessment of current population trends in Macon-Bibb, I really don't see Macon-Bibb growing that much population wise this decade. Sure, the Downtown, College Hill, Vineville,Ingleside, North Macon, West Bibb and South Bibb areas will grow, but there is still a lot of flight from West Macon, East Macon and South Macon to Houston County and other areas.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:25 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I concur with your assessment of current population trends in Macon-Bibb, I really don't see Macon-Bibb growing that much population wise this decade. Sure, the Downtown, College Hill, Vineville,Ingleside, North Macon, West Bibb and South Bibb areas will grow, but there is still a lot of flight from West Macon, East Macon and South Macon to Houston County and other areas.
So true South, West and East parts of Macon in the old city limits are still seeing Flight.. Just wondering if the other areas of Town are really able to recover that population or will it flee to more suburban Houston County.. I really think they need to put a massive effort to redevelop those areas of town to at least retain population while the other areas continue to prosper off new growth. To be honest for some reason I can see it balancing out as well or maybe even a slight growth.. Estimating From maybe 155,000 to 160,000 for 2020.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:46 PM

148 posts, read 149,863 times
Macon isn't experiencing that type of population loss in my opinion. I have a few realtor friends and they all say that houses are selling like crazy in Macon right now. A local home Inspector stated the same. Maybe it's many renters now buying after the housing crisis or maybe since Macon has so much momentum going people are moving here as Macon becomes more a desirable place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon