Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 05:04 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,200,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Rogers told members of the club living spaces above businesses are serving as a foundation for growth downtown. He believes the future of downtown Macon lies in loft spaces.

“In the year 2000, we only had 28 lofts in all of downtown Macon and now we have 456,” Rogers said. “The number of lofts has doubled just in the last five years but to meet demand we really need to double again to 1000 units,” he continued.

Rogers says loft spaces opening allow for more businesses to open. Rogers estimated that for every 15 loft spaces made available, that allows for one storefront to open.

But, occupying twice as many lofts won’t be a problem at all.

“The cool thing about lofts is there’s nearly an insatiable demand for them so as soon as they’re built they’re occupied,” he said.

Residential units downtown have the highest property value in Bibb County.

“It’s really this virtuous cycle that supports additional jobs and additional businesses just by adding additional residential units.”
Loft spaces downtown to double over next five years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 04:44 PM

908 posts, read 549,802 times
This is a good idea on paper, but isn't there an existing problem underground with the old sewage system corroding at an accerating rate? From my understanding it is a shortage of about $16 million dollars of the 2011 SPLOST funds. Which is suppose to end April 2018. Now the city of Macon-Bibb has projections that when the new SPLOST kicks in 2018 of April, that by 2020 it will have generated $80 million dollars. So before the 2018 SPLOST kicks in the city wants to start on the new projects in that SPLOST package this year of 2017. I heard news that the commission has applied for $35 million dollars in bonds, to get a few of those new Splost projects rolling. Actually I have seen some work being done clearing way on the new Filmore Thomas park on Log Cabin Drive. Though I also understand that the sewage system downtown is being put to the back burner as of now. I guess until work is done on that then doubling the 456 loft space to 1,000 in five years is not a realistic goal. Sure the Lofts at Navicent and the Lofts at Capricorn are coming along pretty well. Though to my understanding rebuilding the downtown sewage system is the number one priority so that new residential property can be built in the first place. They go hand in hand.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:49 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,275,402 times
One additional consideration is parking. Most cities require XX number of spots per bedroom for new developments. To address parking, all of the new loft developments need to require one parking space per bedroom be tied to the development. It doesn't have to be new parking...it could be an agreement with existing garages. Otherwise parking will continue to be an issue on streets downtown.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:51 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,275,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
This is a good idea on paper, but isn't there an existing problem underground with the old sewage system corroding at an accerating rate? From my understanding it is a shortage of about $16 million dollars of the 2011 SPLOST funds. Which is suppose to end April 2018. Now the city of Macon-Bibb has projections that when the new SPLOST kicks in 2018 of April, that by 2020 it will have generated $80 million dollars. So before the 2018 SPLOST kicks in the city wants to start on the new projects in that SPLOST package this year of 2017. I heard news that the commission has applied for $35 million dollars in bonds, to get a few of those new Splost projects rolling. Actually I have seen some work being done clearing way on the new Filmore Thomas park on Log Cabin Drive. Though I also understand that the sewage system downtown is being put to the back burner as of now. I guess until work is done on that then doubling the 456 loft space to 1,000 in five years is not a realistic goal. Sure the Lofts at Navicent and the Lofts at Capricorn are coming along pretty well. Though to my understanding rebuilding the downtown sewage system is the number one priority so that new residential property can be built in the first place. They go hand in hand.
Sewers aren't sexy. The sewers won't be a priority until they stop working or collapse. Unfortunate really and it will be more costly then....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: