Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 08:27 AM

934 posts, read 1,347,891 times

Advertisements

Augusta = Macon > Columbus

https://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...l_img_2690.jpg

http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/65/Augsky2.JPG

Old 04-07-2017, 12:06 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,112,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
If it's a skyline battle amongst the 2nd tier cities, I honestly believe Macon wins.
I smile when I see so many C-D posters who think the number of stories in four or five modern office buildings mean a "better" skyline. I do think Macon's architectural lines are cleaner (and the place looks more tidy, more open, and more impressive) than either Columbus or Augusta. However, look at NB's photo collage of Savannah's skyline -- the riverfront, Talmadge suspension Bridge, and gold-domed City Hall. They out-class all the other GA 2nd-tier cities. Macon's skyline is like Montgomery's or Greenville's, but it pales in comparison to Savannah's (day or night).

Old 04-07-2017, 02:45 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
I smile when I see so many C-D posters who think the number of stories in four or five modern office buildings mean a "better" skyline. I do think Macon's architectural lines are cleaner (and the place looks more tidy, more open, and more impressive) than either Columbus or Augusta. However, look at NB's photo collage of Savannah's skyline -- the riverfront, Talmadge suspension Bridge, and gold-domed City Hall. They out-class all the other GA 2nd-tier cities. Macon's skyline is like Montgomery's or Greenville's, but it pales in comparison to Savannah's (day or night).
Macon needs to take a page from Savannah's playbook and play up their historic structures and not their tall(ish) buildings. That where their strength lies.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:00 PM

841 posts, read 1,403,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Macon needs to take a page from Savannah's playbook and play up their historic structures and not their tall(ish) buildings. That where their strength lies.
That's ok sometimes, But I would love to see more future high rise Developments in DT Macon.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:58 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,480,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
That's ok sometimes, But I would love to see more future high rise Developments in DT Macon.
True point here, for some reason I could easily see additional high rises popping up DT Macon.. Also with the I-16/75 interchange being reconstructed, just wondering how this will affect the view of the City skyline being I'm sure there will be some tree clearance coming soon.. I'm sure much better views and that interchange construction alone is going to make Macon feel like a bigger city Downtown, especially with all the ramps and bridges... I think we are going to be shocked when all is said and done.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:01 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,169,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
Unfortunately the Aflac tower was located away from the main area of downtown so our larger building are a bit decentralized. It's out tallest building and would make a huge difference had it been located a mile or two to the west. I believe in the past we had a building ordinance that restricted height in the main downtown area, or at least I've heard several people claim that.

Have you taken the time to walk through our downtown area while you were there? It's a major hub of activity during active times. It's been in major growth mode the past several years with several large projects in the works. I'm expecting our skyline to see changes in the future.
Quote:
I believe in the past we had a building ordinance that restricted height in the main downtown area, or at least I've heard several people claim that.
Actually the city just denied Aflac permit to build downtown. The building ordinance didn't come until parts of downtown was deemed a national historical landmark in 1978.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columb...trial_District

Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 PM

242 posts, read 341,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
True point here, for some reason I could easily see additional high rises popping up DT Macon.. Also with the I-16/75 interchange being reconstructed, just wondering how this will affect the view of the City skyline being I'm sure there will be some tree clearance coming soon.. I'm sure much better views and that interchange construction alone is going to make Macon feel like a bigger city Downtown, especially with all the ramps and bridges... I think we are going to be shocked when all is said and done.
I agree

Old 04-08-2017, 10:06 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Adding additional skyscrapers to Macon's skyline sounds like a nice pipe dream, and it woule be real nice to look at it from a distance. However, there a couple of obstacles to making it happen. First is that the economies surrounding the construction of a highrise have changed significantly in the last 30 years. Building one solely dedicated to office space is a near impossibility even in a market the size of Atlanta; the demand for it simply isn't there as more people work virtually and share office space, and few financiers would touch such a proposal. So, the trend for highrises has gone to multi-use: retail, office, residential and hotel under one roof. Do you really see Macon taking such a project on at this juncture, or even in the near term? I don't think so, particularly when by all appearances it has plenty of available retail space at a much lower price than what you'd find in a Class A skyscraper.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:03 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,169,713 times

Looking at Columbus and seeing how close downtown built. I would want density over a skyline. That's just me.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:36 PM

71 posts, read 57,820 times
Macon's downtown is more dense than Columbus with many more towers. I get that you love your city but let's be honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon