Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 05:10 PM

242 posts, read 341,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
I'm not sure what you have against Columbus,but it's funny. And yes,the pictures I posted does support my point.

Since you never been to Columbus,i'll post another picture for you.
I have been to Columbus several times... and I have DONT have anything against Columbus... I have not once said anything negative about Columbus... I only said I don't see the point you are trying to make with your pics...

Old 04-09-2017, 05:20 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,117,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon478 View Post
It's not Mecca
Actually, Savannah has become just that -- a southern Mecca -- in the last few years.

Macon is (1) an old southern city with the second-best collection of 19th-century architecture in the state after Savannah and (2) an underutilized, undeveloped city core similar to Savannah's downtown in the early 1960s. Macon could get some very good pointers from Savannah's experience with revitalization and full utilization of its downtown.

Old 04-09-2017, 06:19 PM

242 posts, read 341,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Actually, Savannah has become just that -- a southern Mecca -- in the last few years.

Macon is (1) an old southern city with the second-best collection of 19th-century architecture in the state after Savannah and (2) an underutilized, undeveloped city core similar to Savannah's downtown in the early 1960s. Macon could get some very good pointers from Savannah's experience with revitalization and full utilization of its downtown.
Ok, I'm not about to go back and forth with you about...Thats you opinion and I still stand firm to my statement.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:13 PM

178 posts, read 500,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Re the photos, it's too bad that with such a pleasant, open, clean look, downtown Macon is still emptier of people than downtown Columbus or Augusta. As LovinDecatur says, Macon could learn a few things from Savannah's playbook. Savannah has the best downtown in the state -- with 50 years' experience refurbishing it. Downtown Savannah was still fairly empty until well into the 1970s. Macon-Bibb officials should send a delegation there for some tips.
You havent been to Downtown Macon recently have you? The tone of your posts ring true of something someone could've said in 2011 or 2012, but not 2017. Most of what you're saying about what Downtown Macon could or should do to improve is happening right now, so what exactly are you saying? Lofts, restaurants, bars, etc. are popping up all over Downtown now. Of course, it's not going to completely morph overnight, but it's clearly on a positive path. You speak as if revitalization hasn't occurred and needs to start. It has.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:59 AM

842 posts, read 1,407,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentyoung12 View Post
You havent been to Downtown Macon recently have you? The tone of your posts ring true of something someone could've said in 2011 or 2012, but not 2017. Most of what you're saying about what Downtown Macon could or should do to improve is happening right now, so what exactly are you saying? Lofts, restaurants, bars, etc. are popping up all over Downtown now. Of course, it's not going to completely morph overnight, but it's clearly on a positive path. You speak as if revitalization hasn't occurred and needs to start. It has.
Thank you !!! Finally someone who knows what they are talking about... Well SAID!!! THANK YOU!!

Old 04-10-2017, 08:57 AM

2,428 posts, read 2,487,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Thank you !!! Finally someone who knows what they are talking about... Well SAID!!! THANK YOU!!
I don't know why any of these post on here Surprise you... Anytime anyone post anything that boost Macon above the other 2nd Tiers in a fraction your going to have them coming left, right, side, side, up, down and back again Punching!!! "Guaranteed" Trying to find what ever they can to bring the Central GA city down even if it's using 5 to 10 year old data.. Just look at previous threads. All Georgia 2nd Tiers are Small to Medium sized cities at best with similar make up and character, none are massive Major Metros or can or will become anything like that anytime soon. That being said, it has to be some kind of threat the area has that this occurs every single time... The biggest problem I see Macon-Bibb having is it's Education system and that's gonna have to improve to retain it's population. Other wise it's not going to look attractive to families with children and they will continue to funnel to it's Suburban County to the south. That's even in spite Macon having a Nice Suburban housing stock in outer Macon-Bibb as well as a nice Urban historic inner city stock of homes in certain districts. All the renovations in the inner city and new lofts are just making up for the population loses the old city limits areas that are still slums like South Macon is losing so the population remains stagnant and straddling a line with slight gains and loses...

Old 04-10-2017, 11:55 AM

842 posts, read 1,407,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I don't know why any of these post on here Surprise you... Anytime anyone post anything that boost Macon above the other 2nd Tiers in a fraction your going to have them coming left, right, side, side, up, down and back again Punching!!! "Guaranteed" Trying to find what ever they can to bring the Central GA city down even if it's using 5 to 10 year old data.. Just look at previous threads. All Georgia 2nd Tiers are Small to Medium sized cities at best with similar make up and character, none are massive Major Metros or can or will become anything like that anytime soon. That being said, it has to be some kind of threat the area has that this occurs every single time... The biggest problem I see Macon-Bibb having is it's Education system and that's gonna have to improve to retain it's population. Other wise it's not going to look attractive to families with children and they will continue to funnel to it's Suburban County to the south. That's even in spite Macon having a Nice Suburban housing stock in outer Macon-Bibb as well as a nice Urban historic inner city stock of homes in certain districts. All the renovations in the inner city and new lofts are just making up for the population loses the old city limits areas that are still slums like South Macon is losing so the population remains stagnant and straddling a line with slight gains and loses...
I totally agree

Old 04-11-2017, 03:24 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,043,754 times
Quote:
I don't know why any of these post on here Surprise you... .....to bring the Central GA city down even if it's using 5 to 10 year old data.. Just look at previous threads. .

Perhaps the reason the data seems old to you is because some of us have ACTUALLY been talking about this for 5 to 10 years. Your first post about Macon came 7 years ago. On how Macon would be good to film a zombie apocalypse movie in, like Walking Dead.
Your words, not mine.
Some of us were actually talking about the new mall location before there was a mall there. Some of the data is older, but do not play the silly 'old data" game on this thread, I do not see where that happened at all. This is a simple opinion piece. Despite what you might think there is no right or wrong answer for this thread.
Some of us have seen movement in Macon. Some of us never said otherwise. What some of us have said over the last 5 to 10 years is that Macon has lagged behind other like cities in schools, in wages and yes, in growth.
You and one other member posted on here how not only did you disagree with other members opinions, but went almost as far as to say they were wrong. About what THEY think, what they feel ... their opinion.

So, yes, I don't know why any of these posts on here surprise you ... other members opinions are wrong because you do not agree with them.

Agenda driven drivel.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:49 AM

2,428 posts, read 2,487,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Perhaps the reason the data seems old to you is because some of us have ACTUALLY been talking about this for 5 to 10 years. Your first post about Macon came 7 years ago. On how Macon would be good to film a zombie apocalypse movie in, like Walking Dead.
Your words, not mine.
Some of us were actually talking about the new mall location before there was a mall there. Some of the data is older, but do not play the silly 'old data" game on this thread, I do not see where that happened at all. This is a simple opinion piece. Despite what you might think there is no right or wrong answer for this thread.
Some of us have seen movement in Macon. Some of us never said otherwise. What some of us have said over the last 5 to 10 years is that Macon has lagged behind other like cities in schools, in wages and yes, in growth.
You and one other member posted on here how not only did you disagree with other members opinions, but went almost as far as to say they were wrong. About what THEY think, what they feel ... their opinion.

So, yes, I don't know why any of these posts on here surprise you ... other members opinions are wrong because you do not agree with them.

Agenda driven drivel.
You have finally said something that make sense buddy,,, "OPINIONS" and there is nothing wrong with them, that's the whole point of these.... There is also something called Mind games, Patterns and Arguments not worth fighting..

Old 04-12-2017, 04:47 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,043,754 times
Quote:
You have finally said something that make sense buddy,,, "OPINIONS" and there is nothing wrong with them, that's the whole point of these.... There is also something called Mind games, Patterns and Arguments not worth fighting..
Pattern, perhaps. Mind games, no. If you and others continue to, in my opinion, mislead people looking for relocation advice about the Macon area, I am gonna pattern up.
I get it that you want Macon to be better. EVERYONE does. Only go here ... don't go there ... don't believe the media, the people or the websites ... come on, do you see what has been written?
When someone say crime isn't all that bad, it usually is. When the promoters can only name ONE decent school in the entire area, that speaks volumes. Since the growth in Macon is not what it is in other like cities, those lofts downtown are most likely being occupied by folks simply moving from one place in the area to another. Meaning trading one empty place for another.

The pattern you recognize is one of reaction. It is all right there. I do not have to make anything up. Sure wish you would recognize THAT.

Oh, by the way ... I agree ... Macon would be a great place to film a zombie apocalypse movie. Barb wire, security bars on windows, abandoned buildings ... all go hand and hand with zombies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon