Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2017, 07:14 PM

909 posts, read 546,807 times

Advertisements

I think what commissioner Virgil Watson is doing by taking a portion of his one million dollars blight fight to create a blight database that will be available in the upcoming months is a good thing. Yet and still people are still riffing and bickering about the process. My understanding is that blight isn't really a bad thing, because anywhere that there is dilapidated buildings or homes then it could be build up. Though just like in the article which states that it takes sometimes decades to actually see results. A few years back the city had a goal to tear down one hundred blighted properties a year. I don't think that approach is best to just tear down structures with no intention of constructing new development in its place. What I have been noticing since the commissioners have attended other cities to get an idea on how to fight blight especially Detroit (which has did an amazing job with turning it's blight fight around) as a prime example; I have seen the city of Macon doing a lot of different tactics on paper and in action. Though you can't change all red fields to greenfields. This is what I have seen the city mostly doing. I definitely see the progress in the Bealls Hill community with road verges and retaining walls being put in place.
Macon-Bibb officials take steps to attack extensive blight | The Telegraph

Last edited by the tiger; 07-08-2017 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
View detailed profiles of: