Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 10:46 PM

36 posts, read 59,213 times

Advertisements

I am planning to go to Macon for a week soon for business but I am also taking my family so I am trying to see what there is to do. I was researching family fun centers and I was trying to see if Olympia Family Fun Center or Starcadia was the better option. I wanted to book a hotel near one of them and some one told me that Olympia had a skate park, arcade and many things to do but I wanted to see which ones the locals prefer before I get a hotel near there or Starcadia. I am leaning toward Olympia because of the skate park so is this a good choice? We went to Greenville S.C. for a week last year and had a blast so I want them to have the same experience in Macon. My wife loves to shop so is the Macon Mall still the place to shop and does Down Town have allot of things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 09:04 AM

424 posts, read 1,675,340 times
You missed the Cherry Blossom Festival a few weeks ago. Macon also hosts a "Taste of Macon" event (not sure when that is), and the Georgia State Fair will be held 23-28 September 2008. There are quite a number of Antebellum homes in Macon, many of which offer tours. You'll also find the Rose Hill Cemetary, Georgia Music Hall of Fame, Georgia Sports Hall of Fame, Tubman African American Museum, Museum of Arts and Sciences, and other spots. There are also various walking tours of the city. You might try The Official City of Macon Web Site - Home Page and Macon Georgia CVB: Macon Hotels, Vacations, Attractions and Tourism for additional information. The sites have information on visiting plus various links to other sites for tourism help, etc.

Downtown (430 Cotton Avenue) there is a hole-in-the-wall restaurant you might want to try, Nu-Way (Weiners). Actually they have some other locations, too, but the one downtown was featured in "A Hot Dog Program" on PBS. Fancy or high-end? No. They are known for their take on chili dogs and slaw dogs. This place is old! Take a step back in time. Their website is: Nu-Way Weiners - Quality Fast Food Since 1916

Macon also has the usual assortment of restaurants including some special places that cover all price ranges.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:38 AM

78 posts, read 371,142 times
Well...since the tornado swept through here on Sunday morning...it will be more difficult. The Olympia Skate Center was hit and will not be open i am sure. The Fish n Pig restaurant at the lake was also hit. So was part of the Macon Mall, BUT Starcadia off Bass Road will be open (hoping we get water and electricity back soon) and the new Open Air Mall The Shoppes at River Crossing off Riverside Drive (VERY NICE). The Indian Mounds past downtown would be neat too visit or the Sports or Music Hall of Fame in Downtown. Starcadia is a putt-putt and go cart place and more place.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:12 PM

511 posts, read 2,476,417 times
I wouldn't advise any tourist to come at least until the end of July. Also everyone could you please support Macon. There are alot of people without food, and some just got there power back after 72 hours of sitting in the dark, which resulted in alot of food being throwed out. Thank You All, and God Bless.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 7,305 times
Go visit goRoundTown Middle Georgia and take a virtual tour of Macon, Georgia. This should give you a headstart on what you should see. It also includes the rest of Middle Georgia.

[url=http://www.goroundtown.com/macon/]goRoundTownâ„¢ Macon, GA Bibb County[/url]

Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 AM

594 posts, read 3,436,048 times
oh my gosh a tornado hit macon when did this happen us people here in columbus are so sorry to here that we hope nobody did not get killed or hurt there but i hope they get everything fixed and repaired back to where it was anyway a tornado hit here in columbus in 2007 it hit on march first about a year ago but it hit north columbus doing some damage to people houses but think god it hit north columbus and not south columbus because our downtown is in south columbus and thats where most people work is in downtown so think god it did not hit south columbus or hit our downtown all and the most of the damage was in north columbus and they have everything fixed and repaired now in north columbus were the damage was done and where the tornado hit

Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 AM

84 posts, read 105,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam 5 View Post
oh my gosh a tornado hit macon when did this happen us people here in columbus are so sorry to here that we hope nobody did not get killed or hurt there but i hope they get everything fixed and repaired back to where it was anyway a tornado hit here in columbus in 2007 it hit on march first about a year ago but it hit north columbus doing some damage to people houses but think god it hit north columbus and not south columbus because our downtown is in south columbus and thats where most people work is in downtown so think god it did not hit south columbus or hit our downtown all and the most of the damage was in north columbus and they have everything fixed and repaired now in north columbus were the damage was done and where the tornado hit
Jam5.....do you have any pictures of Columbus tornado damage?

Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 PM

i dont no georgia law do you want me to post some or find some of the columbus tornado damage

Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 PM

Default here is a picture of a hotel in north columbus that had roof damage done

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00243/tornado_243447g.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 PM

Default here is the eckerds drug store in columbus georgia that had severe damage done

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon